PDA

View Full Version : Deathslam (heavy metal) 10 songs

DEATHSLAM
06-26-2010, 12:13 AM
**New song up "Remorse" 7/14/10**

Hey everyone just want to drop a link for some constructive criticism on my musical endeavors.
(LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO MASTER 15-20 tracks)

I'm running reaper audio,UX1 studio pod farm for my guitar/bass, DFH, M-audio studio monitors, and Isotope ozone for the EQ. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the audio quality of my tracks or new things to try out, I'm all ears. (METAL PLEASE)

www.myspace.com/death_slam

I'll be checking/posting on these forums regularly from now on, thanks guys.

DuraMorte
06-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Greetings!
On the first listen-through, I notice that the guitars seem to have mondo amounts of gain.
I know us metalheads love our gain (DISTORTION, YEAH!), but turning the gain down can do amazing things to the clarity and punch of the guitar tone.
After a certain amount of gain, it doesn't 'distort' any more, it just gets 'fizzier'. That fizz actually serves no tonal purpose, and only noises up your mix.
A low-pass filter at about 6-8kHz will work wonders on clearing up the highs, and a high-pass at around 80-150Hz will tidy up the lows, leaving more room for the actual bass instruments to come through.
I'll add another post onto this one when I get a chance to turn it up some, but consider these ideas next time you're sitting down with your mixes.
Btw, awesome tunes. Any plans for vocals?

Totoro75
06-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Really enjoyed the tracks!
I've only listened so far through my crappy laptop speakers, so I'm not hearing a fair representation of the songs.

Still, I agree with the general theory of DuraMorte's sentiment about piling on too much distortion. I don't play the faster thrashier metal that you do, my style has been a little slower with noisier chords, but I've noticed that when I double the guitar with a clean take -- like a jazz tone or twang tone, and bury it in the mix, it doesn't dilute the heaviness, it actually makes the guitar pop. The clean tone provides some basic definition and a sharper attack than the distorted tone, but then the distortion explodes around it - so the listener can hear the note, feel the attack, but still soak up sweet raging gain.

Check out this article:
http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_recording_electric_guitar/ (http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_recording_electric_guitar/)

There's a section in there called "To Air Is Human", where he describes recording a track of the pick against the strings -- no amp at all. Basically just to reintroduce the attack that you feel and hear when you play, but that is lost through the amp (virtual or otherwise).

Sorry to write a novel. Thanks for sharing your music!

DuraMorte
06-26-2010, 10:31 AM
when I double the guitar with a clean take -- like a jazz tone or twang tone, and bury it in the mix, it doesn't dilute the heaviness, it actually makes the guitar pop.

This is very true, but I like to take it one step further:
I use the same take, run it through two different amp sims (one gained out one, and one cleanish one), then recombine them, and the results can be stellar.

DEATHSLAM
06-26-2010, 10:46 AM
awesome, I'm going to test both of these ideas out post my progress. I really want to make the guitar and bass crisp and slap the listener in the face while still having a thrashy feel.

DEATHSLAM
06-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Oh to answer your question about vocals Duramorte, I have about 6 people tracking vocals right now, I promised myself I would write 20 full songs I am happy with before I decided on a singer so I can really develop my own unique sound. I'm currently at 30 songs, roughly 13 I'm satisfied with. I'd like to get them all mastered by someone besides myself..I'm a song writer and my mastering knowledge is a joke honestly, I'm really shooting for a Spinefarm Finland-esque quality EP.

DEATHSLAM
06-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Can anyone tell me at what file size or bitrate Myspace compresses a track? I hear some bands with extreme compression and some bands sound almost as good as their master cd track. What should my rendering settings be for strictly posting songs via myspace and mp3 hosting sites?

DuraMorte
06-30-2010, 10:04 PM
I always encode mine at 192. Seems to strike a good balance between sound quality and size.
The uber-compression you're hearing is the poor mastering job that the songs underwent, combined with Myspace's automatic compression; it probably has little to do with the actual mp3 encoding itself.

DEATHSLAM
07-14-2010, 11:49 AM
New song up www.myspace.com/death_slam "Remorse"

I've been messing with my guitar mids and gain, I'm a little happier with my tone but I've still got a lot of work to do. Also I could use some tips on getting that nasty, snarling bass sound, a good example of what I'd like it to resemble is Rex from Pantera's sound particularly on the "Cowboys From Hell" Album. Thoughts?

Dimaension X
07-24-2010, 05:06 AM
The drum volume on Remorse seems to be much lower than the other songs. I also agree about having too much gain on the guitars. I almost never have the gain up to ten on any amp settings. I use a Marshall JCM 800 sim from a Line 6 POD XTLive with the gain at about 7, no more. Then I do the Andy Sneap trick of adding a Tube Screamer (sim) to boost the signal a bit only using the main distortion on that at abut 9:00.

I think the drums are all a bit too dry - I'd add a bit of "room" sound and a touch of reverb just to open up the drum sound.

DuraMorte
07-24-2010, 08:52 AM
New song up "Remorse"
I've been messing with my guitar mids and gain, I'm a little happier with my tone but I've still got a lot of work to do. Also I could use some tips on getting that nasty, snarling bass sound, a good example of what I'd like it to resemble is Rex from Pantera's sound particularly on the "Cowboys From Hell" Album. Thoughts?

The drums are indeed too dry and quiet. I also don't particularly like the parts you've programmed; they don't seem to mesh with the guitar parts.

As for that bass sound... well, it's only really possible to get that kind of sound when there's only one guitarist. Dimebag's tone on that album was kind of thin and gritty (and awesome!); it didn't have a ton of balls on the lower end, which allowed tons of room for that huge bass tone.
Which is not to say you can't get close; I'm sure with enough tweaking and twisting of knobs, you may get somewhere in the vicinity, but as long as you have four or more guitar tracks, you probably won't have the sonic headroom you need to get a huge bass sound.

*OT ahead*

That's part of the reason modern metal bass tones aren't spectacular on their own; they're designed to mesh so well with the guitars that it sounds like one cohesive unit is punching you in the throat. Back then, when CFH was being tracked, there wasn't so much emphasis on 'loudness' and 'fake' ferocity, so the artists were allowed to sculpt their tones, and the mixing engineer was allowed to have headroom to create a space for the tones the artist created.
Now, the Loudness War has destroyed any sensibility left in the mixing and mastering fields, so much so that the tones and mix are now being tailored so they're capable of being made as loud as possible in the mastering stage.

*end OT*

So, if I were you, I wouldn't try to emulate someone else's tone, and concentrate on getting a good tone that sits well in your mix.
And if you really want that bass tone, you're going to have to take away from somewhere else. High-pass your guitars a little higher, cut some low-end starting from 800Hz down, leave plenty of space for the bass to do it's thing.
Try splitting your bass tone to two tracks, place a distortion or overdrive on one track, high-pass it somewhere around 200-400ish Hz for starters, low-pass the other track somewhere around there(ish), then mash them back together.
Get creative; you never know what will sound good in a mix until you happen across it. \m/

the masked drummer
07-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Listened to the first 3 songs on Myspace. Guitar sounds like it was ran thru a tom sholz rockman. Sounds too fuzzy and overbearing in the mix, as peeps mentioned. Drums sound like there's no snare or cymbals, and bass drums sound very flat with no depth. I couldn't really hear the bass guitar. Wish I could help more, but I'm a newby with pc-recording. Keep at it. Just needs some tweaking and maybe some quantizing on drums if you're using a drum machine. Sounds un-human, but not saying that's bad.
Best wishes! Look forward to hearing the improved versions.

http://www.myspace.com/mindrought

DEATHSLAM
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to mix a new track as soon as I get off work tonight with these things in mind.