PDA

View Full Version : Alien Jazz and Mind Loss, with a Bit of Metal

Tiam
06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Hello all,

I got into music a couple years ago, and since then I haven't been able to stop. I started in cakewalk, but I found reaper soon after, and there was no turning back. It still amazes me that a four meg download can do everything that reaper does. Definitely the best 60 bucks I ever spent. Anyway, back to the music.

Most of my tracks are instrumentals. Ironically, I can't play an instrument yet, so all my tracks are composed on my netbook(Cockos Reaper), or my PSP(PSP Rhythm). I'm always trying to do something different, so I don't really know how to peg my music. I do think there are elements of jazz, hiphop, rock, and even classical, but there's probably other stuff I'm not thinking of too. More recently I've been integrating quite a few ambient sounds. The track below is a good example:

Classic Mind Loss(Whoops) (http://www.archive.org/download/ClassicMindLosswhoops/ClassicMindLossWhoops.mp3)

I don't use SFX all the time though. These two are both pure instrumentals. The first is kind of jazzy and laid back, the second is loud, hard driving, and short, a kind of rock/synth fusion.

Alien Jazz (http://www.archive.org/download/AlienJazz/AlienJazz.mp3)

Little Bit of Metal (http://www.archive.org/download/LittleBitOfMetal/LittleBitOfMetal.mp3)

I'd love to get some feedback, be it good, bad, or otherwise. Thanks for listening, and thanks to the Reaper team for making such an awesome program for all the worlds penniless producers.

Cheers,
Tiam

DuraMorte
06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Just had a listen to the last song (LBOM).
Being a metalhead and all, I figured this one would be the closest to my taste.
I don't know which 'guitar' synth you're using, but there has to be a way to make it sound more lifelike. I don't expect it to sound like anything other than what it is, but try running it through a cabinet impulse; that will take out a lot of that high-end hash, and may be a more suitable sound.

Other than that one little nitpick, it's a very interesting tune. You're right about it being hard to classify; I'm not really sure what to call it, other than 'cool'.
It sounds like it would be excellent driving music; if this CD were in my car, I'd probably listen to it all the time. :D

I have a thread in this section; have a listen to my song, if you'd like. :)

Tiam
06-28-2010, 01:17 PM
DuraMorte, thanks for the feedback. Glad you, overall, liked the tune. I'll take a listen to your track, and post a reply.

I'm not entirely sure which guitar synth you're referring too; I have three 'guitarish' instruments in there; one's a distorted violin, one's a sampled guitar, and one a literal synth I ran through an amp modeler. I assume it's the instrument that opens the track (The sampled guitar)? I'll have to check my worksession, but I think I'm already running it through a cabinet impulse, unfortunately. I might try to tinker and liven it up though. I kind of intended it to sound harsh in the beginning, but now that I listen to it, it might not be a bad idea to attenuate that harshness once the other instruments come in.

I really wanted to make this track a bit longer, but try as I might, I couldn't quite get what I wanted. I'm planning on coming back to it sometime and taking another go.

I guess what would make this track sound really realistic would be to play it with...a real guitar.

Now I just need to lean to play guitar. ;)

Thanks again,
Tiam

DuraMorte
06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm not entirely sure which guitar synth you're referring too; I have three 'guitarish' instruments in there; one's a distorted violin, one's a sampled guitar, and one a literal synth I ran through an amp modeler. I assume it's the instrument that opens the track (The sampled guitar)? I'll have to check my worksession, but I think I'm already running it through a cabinet impulse, unfortunately.

Yeah, that guitar-ish sound at the very beginning.
If it's already been run through a cab, you could automate a low-pass to let the highs through for the grit at the beginning, and the move down to about 5kHz or so for the rest of the tune. I think that would sound awesome too.
Thanks for the feedback on my tune! :D