PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young cover

shemp
07-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Had a few hours alone today and I wanted to test out my new mic so here's a cover of Old Man for ya. A little pitchy on the vox but oh well :)

http://www.box.net/shared/foxn6ts9zm

Luca Brasi
07-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Nicely done! Thanks for posting! Was the new mic on the guitar or the vocals?

shemp
07-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Nicely done! Thanks for posting! Was the new mic on the guitar or the vocals?

both. The acoustic has no pickup.

thanks!

pattonfreak1
07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
This and Cinnamon Girl are prolly my favorite Neil songs.

New mic sounds killer homey

ScalerWave
07-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Great cover !

Just curious where you placed the mic on the guitty.

scottedog
07-04-2010, 09:48 PM
A little pitchy on the vox but oh well :)

http://www.box.net/shared/foxn6ts9zm

And Neil's not? ;)

Thoroughly enjoyed it. What kind of mic?

shemp
07-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Great cover !

Just curious where you placed the mic on the guitty.

Thanks man! About 12" away from the 12th fret.

And Neil's not? ;)

Thoroughly enjoyed it. What kind of mic?

Yeah right :) It's an ADK A51. Recommended by ScalerWave ^^ :)

kindafishy
07-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Excellent job. Neil is a really underrated player, isn't he? I love going to his live shows whenever he comes around. He captivates with every note he plays and sings. Anyway...

It sounds really good. I got a very strong sense of sitting in a small-medium sized club, listening to a live performance through a good quality PA system. I was taken back when I didn't hear the crowd cheering at the end!

You should post more Neil if you do any others... I really enjoyed this. Jason Brian Merrill does a lot of really good Neil covers. Check them out on his web site if you haven't heard them yet.

shemp
07-05-2010, 09:41 AM
This and Cinnamon Girl are prolly my favorite Neil songs.

New mic sounds killer homey

yeah Cinnamon Girl is one of my favs too. And Needle and the Damage Done too.

Excellent job. Neil is a really underrated player, isn't he? I love going to his live shows whenever he comes around. He captivates with every note he plays and sings. Anyway...

It sounds really good. I got a very strong sense of sitting in a small-medium sized club, listening to a live performance through a good quality PA system. I was taken back when I didn't hear the crowd cheering at the end!

You should post more Neil if you do any others... I really enjoyed this. Jason Brian Merrill does a lot of really good Neil covers. Check them out on his web site if you haven't heard them yet.

Thanks man. It's easier to mix only 2 tracks. lol

Yeah. I really like the old Neil material. Esp. the Live at Massy hall stuff. I used to do an acoustic duo years ago to make some extra cash and we did a bunch of the old Neil Young stuff. Maybe I'll do some more eventually, but I gotta admit, after not playing acoustic regularly, It's pretty hard on my fingers. lol

RichardM
07-05-2010, 09:47 AM
A little pitchy on the vox but oh well :)

But why wouldn't it be? When he was recording his part for "Tears are Not Enough" (Canada's equivalent to "We are the World") he was told by the song's producer that his singing was flat. Neil responded "That's my style, man."

Thanks for the cover ... I enjoyed it.

spikemullings
07-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Nice pickin' and a-singin' there mate. I could do with getting a bit more pitchy if that's what it means :) (espesh over that range)

Do you have a compressor on there? The acoustic sounds a quite pushy (not in a bad way) and I wondered if that's the mic or some fx.

Chris_P_Critter
07-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Nice dude!

New mic is awesome!!!! :D

shemp
07-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Nice pickin' and a-singin' there mate. I could do with getting a bit more pitchy if that's what it means :) (espesh over that range)

Do you have a compressor on there? The acoustic sounds a quite pushy (not in a bad way) and I wondered if that's the mic or some fx.

Thanks Spike. No, it's not the mic. It's recorded pretty clear. I pushed it thru a compressor and then pretty hard thru Bootsy Ferric to get some of that 70s vibe. :D

Wolffman
07-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Thats a keeper :D

Nice job shemp, i'm a sucker for a good neil young song.

I'll never forget seeing him in Brisbane at the chandler velodrome in 1985, it was an outdoor gig, he started of solo then the International Harvesters came onstage with him, and he finished of the night with Crazy Horse
Unforgetable :)

Cheers

spikemullings
07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks Spike. No, it's not the mic. It's recorded pretty clear. I pushed it thru a compressor and then pretty hard thru Bootsy Ferric to get some of that 70s vibe. :D

Ah yes it's that saturation I can hear.

shemp
07-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks Wolffman.

Ah yes it's that saturation I can hear.

Spike, is it too much?

plgrmsprgrs
07-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Shemp!

Listened to this the first time, then ran to get a lighter to wave for the second pass! :D I'm just listening on cheap comp speakers but I get a great sense of space as Kevin described. Wish I could play and sing that well. I'm downloading to listen on my monitors.

Spike, is it too much?

I think the sat works as is.

PS. Spike-nice to see you again!
PSS. Cinnamon Girl on a loop and I'm good for quite a while!

spikemullings
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Spike, is it too much?

No way man - sounds super cool.

PS. Spike-nice to see you again!

Good to see you too mate! Been waiting for more toons from you my friend :)

pw3
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Shemp - I'm not a Neil Young fan, but I do love this song, and you've done it very well indeed. Lovely, honest vocal performance, just what the song needs. Nice job capturing the 'squeezed together by the limits of tape' vibe, too. This will be in my regular rotation.
Cheers!

tspring
07-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Outstanding. Neill hasn't got a thing on you. It takes courage and skill to do a song like this...all alone with just the guitar, and demanding a huge vocal range.

Do you sing harmony? I can see you being in demand for singing high parts. Sort of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Shemp style.

T

shemp
07-08-2010, 08:18 AM
wow thanks guys. Yeah tspring, I sing a little in the cover bands I'm in. I actually can't stand the sound of my voice when I hear it recorded. lol