PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING TO PRACTICE!

MetalAaron
07-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Reapers,

I'm wondering if anyone has a project that needs to be mixed or can be provided for my personal practice. Please let me know. I'd prefer heavy metal, but all genres are welcome.

Thanks

-Aaron-

Earache
07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I do some collaborations over at Kompoz.com, there are hundreds of projects over there in all genres with tracks to mix, remix, mix and match (most are CC licensed), contribute to, or just hang out and listen.

bluzkat
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I do some collaborations over at Kompoz.com, there are hundreds of projects over there in all genres with tracks to mix, remix, mix and match (most are CC licensed), contribute to, or just hang out and listen.

Earache,

Cool website! I'll definitely spend some time checking it out... lots of interesting stuff. :D

:cool:

camerondye
07-12-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.raw-tracks.com/v-web/portal/cms/index.php
Here's a site that sells the tracks to 12 songs that sound pretty good and are fun to hear and mix. The tracks here are $5 a piece to download...not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Hits-Country-Guides-Technical/dp/1423438507/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278965604&sr=8-2
This is a book that comes with tracks that were recorded to sound like the hits and have good tracks to practice to...but it's country. The book comes with tracks for 10 songs and you can get a copy on Amazon under $20 including shipping. This is more expensive but worth it IMO

http://audioinstruction.com/
The Shane Wilson DVD here is my favorite instructional DVD or program made, but it only comes with 1 song's tracks to mix but you get to watch him mix it for 3+ hours which is pretty cool. The Russ Long DVD is good but not as good as the SW but it comes with 2 songs tracks to mix. It's not as in depth but some good information.

DEATHSLAM
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Metalaaron, check out www.myspace.com/death_slam, I have almost 15 songs written and I'm not very savvy on mixing, so if you are into that type of stuff feel free to let me know, I'd love to hear what you can do.

Smurf
07-13-2010, 12:10 AM
I have all the Raw-Tracks ones, and they are fun to play with for sure. Lots of different sounds at different levels of production.

I grabbed them all at once and got a nice discount....:cool:

Smurf
07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I went & checked out the Audio Instruction site and would really like to grab the set!

But after reading the testimonial page on GS I would be a little worried about sending them $119. They have been "working" on the Tracking one for over 2 years, and it seems like there has been no response or updates to the site in a long time. This & the fact that it seems like there were some bad DVD's sent out makes me keep me $$$ in me pocket (or plastic).

It a shame too, it looks like it would be a REALLY good 3 hour video! :cool:

camerondye
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I went & checked out the Audio Instruction site and would really like to grab the set!

But after reading the testimonial page on GS I would be a little worried about sending them $119. They have been "working" on the Tracking one for over 2 years, and it seems like there has been no response or updates to the site in a long time. This & the fact that it seems like there were some bad DVD's sent out makes me keep me $$$ in me pocket (or plastic).

It a shame too, it looks like it would be a REALLY good 3 hour video! :cool:

I didn't know they had any issues ever. I sent them my $119 and I got 2 working dvd's, but that sucks that people had issue. Wonder if they got them worked out in the end. The Shane Wilson is my favorite instructional DVD out so maybe look for it used.

Smurf
07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Under the Testimonials link there were a few that had non-working DVD's, and Audio Instruction also posted that all the replacements were being sent, so maybe they had a bad batch? Either way it looks like it was taken care of!

Also, I emailed today about the Tracking DVD the was recorded the day before the mixing DVD, since it has been over 2 years since it was mentioned to be getting ready to be released, and got a great email from Chris a few hours later.....

"It goes without saying that it has taken a long time to release this third DVD. The good news is, it really turned out to be an exceptional DVD.

Our prices:

Russ Long-recording: $49.95
Shane Wilson-mixing: $79.95
Shane Wilson-recording: $69.95

We do offer a bundle discount - order all three for $169.90 ($30 off)."

So even tho it is not posted on the site or in the thread, the 3rd DVD IS out! Now, how am I going to get the $$ for these and the new Reaper Explained DVD???? ;) :cool:

camerondye
07-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Well I'm going now to try and find out how to get it, thanks for posting that.
cam

Smurf
07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Your Very Welcome camerondye! Here is the rest of the email....

To order:
send funds, via PayPal, to: admin@audioinstruction.com

Add $7.95 shipping outside the U.S.

Thank you again for your interest. We're really proud of how these DVDs turned out. Hope you enjoy them!

Best regards,

Chris

Chris Graffagnino
sales@audioinstruction.com

camerondye
07-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Ok, I got and watched the 2nd part to the Shane Wilson video. The first Shane Wilson video is still the best instructional video for mixing made that I've seen. I like watching people work, that's what helps me the most.

Now after watching the first SW video do I want to know exactly what he used to track everything?...not a ton really but if you do this video is excellent. He does the tracking video 100% perfect, I can't think of anything he could do better for the most part. He shows all the settings of eq and comp during tracking, mics, ideas, what he was thinking and the direction he was taking on tracking. Excellent job really. My point of view is that unless you have his exact equipment in that room except for hearing his POV on why he does things a certain way in certain instances it's kind of useless...but still entertaining. Shane Wilson seems like a great guy and if people want a tracking video, this is great but the mixing video helped me more.

snatchman
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Ok, I got and watched the 2nd part to the Shane Wilson video. The first Shane Wilson video is still the best instructional video for mixing made that I've seen. I like watching people work, that's what helps me the most.

Now after watching the first SW video do I want to know exactly what he used to track everything?...not a ton really but if you do this video is excellent. He does the tracking video 100% perfect, I can't think of anything he could do better for the most part. He shows all the settings of eq and comp during tracking, mics, ideas, what he was thinking and the direction he was taking on tracking. Excellent job really. My point of view is that unless you have his exact equipment in that room except for hearing his POV on why he does things a certain way in certain instances it's kind of useless...but still entertaining. Shane Wilson seems like a great guy and if people want a tracking video, this is great but the mixing video helped me more.
SOT..Hey Cam..I've listen to some of your music..Sounds good..!..If you don't mind, could you tell what soundcard/interface you used and I know you say you recorded into Reaper, but did you mix in Reaper also..?..Thanks..

camerondye
07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
RME Fireface 800, yes mixed in Reaper, mastered in Sony Soundforge.

I posted a lot of the details are on this thread...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=56219

Smurf
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the info camerondye! :cool:

camerondye
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
No problem.

snatchman
07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
RME Fireface 800, yes mixed in Reaper, mastered in Sony Soundforge.

I posted a lot of the details are on this thread...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=56219

Hey Cam..Thanks alot..!
Ok..I just popped over and read the thread you posted.. Great info and very inspiring..! Sounds like you used some very good toys for front end also..Good job..