PDA

View Full Version : applying effects to one region

lxm
07-10-2010, 10:55 AM
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=61079

hey guys. i put this in newbieland but i cant seem to get a response. hoping someone can help out.

EvilDragon
07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
You mean to put a certain effect only on one part of an item, right? The just time selection is not enough. You have to split the item in parts, and then select the split item part which you want to have FX on. Then you press Shift+E, and add your FX.

lxm
07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
You mean to put a certain effect only on one part of an item, right? The just time selection is not enough. You have to split the item in parts, and then select the split item part which you want to have FX on. Then you press Shift+E, and add your FX.

is that the same as "apply fx to items as new take"

ngarjuna
07-10-2010, 11:19 AM
is that the same as "apply fx to items as new take"

Apply FX will apply the track effects to that item I believe. That is actually a possible solution, though not the one EvilDragon suggested to you. I'm not sure if there is an Apply Item FX to selected items (if so I've not found it yet but that's not to say there isn't).

So really that's two different ways you can accomplish this:
1) EvilDragon's way would have you split the segment into its own item and then open the Item FX browser. Any effects you place into this container will only affect the item in question and not any other items in that track. It's not a Render or Apply, though, the effect is running "live" on the item in question. This method would be better if you are likely to adjust the effect at a later time.

2) Do the same split so that you have isolated your segment as its own item. Add whatever effects you want to the track itself. Select only the item you wish to apply them to and use Apply track FX... Now you've accomplished the same thing but in a frozen/rendered state. This method would be better if you probably won't have to tweak the effect and/or the effect is CPU heavy, sort of like freezing it.

lxm
07-10-2010, 11:27 AM
1) EvilDragon's way would have you split the segment into its own item

Sorry to newb it up but how do you do this?

thanks for the replys.

EvilDragon
07-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Just press S and your item will be split where the edit cursor is. Shift+S is, I believe, split on mouse cursor.

ngarjuna
07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Just press S and your item will be split where the edit cursor is. Shift+S is, I believe, split on mouse cursor.

To be very explicit:
Find the point you want to be the beginning of your new item. Place the cursor there. Press "S" to split there.
Now find the point you want to be the end of your new item. Place the cursor there. Press "S" to split there.

Now what you should have are three items:
-the section of the original item before your beginning split;
-the new item (that you wished to isolate)
-the section of the original item after your ending split

lxm
07-10-2010, 12:35 PM
To be very explicit:
Find the point you want to be the beginning of your new item. Place the cursor there. Press "S" to split there.
Now find the point you want to be the end of your new item. Place the cursor there. Press "S" to split there.

Now what you should have are three items:
-the section of the original item before your beginning split;
-the new item (that you wished to isolate)
-the section of the original item after your ending split

i still dont really get it. i have an item that just a couple of bars and i need to split it again in order to apply fx to it? dosent make any sense to me.

EvilDragon
07-10-2010, 12:41 PM
You won't be "applying FX" as in "rendering to WAV". You will be adding live FX only on that part of the item.

ngarjuna
07-10-2010, 12:55 PM
i still dont really get it. i have an item that just a couple of bars and i need to split it again in order to apply fx to it? dosent make any sense to me.

I don't really know how to make it any more clear.

In order to apply an effect (using either method above) you need to isolate that segment as its own "item". If what you are trying to use as a region is already isolated as its own "item", then you don't have any splitting to do. If it is part of a larger item, then the instructions have been given to you to split off the specific segment you want to affect.

If you're unclear what an "Item" is in REAPER terminology I would definitely suggest giving the manual a search/read; I don't trust my layman's (from a tech writing standpoint) terminology to explain that as well as it probably already has been elsewhere.

Once you have an isolated item, you have the two choices above:
-use Apply to freeze that effect into only that item
-use Item FX to set active an effect for only that item

Kenny Gioia
07-10-2010, 12:57 PM

You don't need to split anything.

Unless you want the effect to only be on "part" of the "Item". (We don't call them regions in Reaper.)

If you want it on the whole item. Just hit Shift+E and a dialog should open.

If you want it just on "part" of the item. Split the item, then hit Shift+E.

You can also put FX on the whole track if you want.

lxm
07-10-2010, 01:28 PM
OK. lol. regions. old habbits right......

thats the problem.... when i SHIFT + E and apply the effect to the item nothing happens to the audio.

could i have deselected something in a menu?

EvilDragon
07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Now you start sounding strange. What kind of effect?

Everything works here alright on Shift+E...

lxm
07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Now you start sounding strange. What kind of effect?

Everything works here alright on Shift+E...

i know its strange. i dont know why its not working. im defiantly doing everything right.

i tried a couple of different plugins. fabfilter timeless 64 and myosis moogfoogers

stinger12
07-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't understand why you just can't highlight a section and then apply effects to that region only. That seems like a much more intuitive common sense way to do it.

lxm
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't understand why you just can't highlight a section and then apply effects to that region only. That seems like a much more intuitive common sense way to do it.

man... this is what im trying to do. it dosent work. im trying it again and it crashes reaper. this is fucked. so frustrated. if i reinstall are my settings saved? themes/custom FX folders etc?

ngarjuna
07-10-2010, 02:35 PM
man... this is what im trying to do. it dosent work. im trying it again and it crashes reaper. this is fucked. so frustrated. if i reinstall are my settings saved? themes/custom FX folders etc?

Yes, but from your description I am not so sure that's going to fix your problem. I guess it shouldn't hurt anything though.

Without being able to look over your shoulder...what you're describing sounds like you have a different Item selected (and your Shift-E is applying the effect only to the Item you have selected). Are you absolutely certain the item you want to insert the FX on is the item you have selected when you're pressing Shift-E?

lxm
07-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, but from your description I am not so sure that's going to fix your problem. I guess it shouldn't hurt anything though.

Without being able to look over your shoulder...what you're describing sounds like you have a different Item selected (and your Shift-E is applying the effect only to the Item you have selected). Are you absolutely certain the item you want to insert the FX on is the item you have selected when you're pressing Shift-E?

110% sure. FX button is there. when i click on it the plugin loads up. no change to audio or MIDI on playback. tried it on both. today its crashing reaper when i try to do this. i have no idea whats going on.

EDIT: reinstalled. didnt help. now my bcf2000 wont work. having a great day

EvilDragon
07-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Which version of Reaper?

lxm
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Which version of Reaper?

v 3.63 64 bit windows

Kenny Gioia
07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Can you try it on a different session?

lxm
07-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Can you try it on a different session?

tried that as well. no dice.

EvilDragon
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
What are your Plugin and VST settings?

It simply works here. This:

http://img571.**************/img571/9506/clipboard01l.png

sound like this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4yjtzz2zzr

Works both on playback and in render.

lxm
07-10-2010, 03:48 PM
What are your Plugin and VST settings?

It simply works here. This:

http://img571.**************/img571/9506/clipboard01l.png

sound like this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4yjtzz2zzr

Works both on playback and in render.

whats in you screen is what i do. click on the 'item', SHIFT + E, apply 'x' plugin and i get no processed audio when playing it back. i dont think i can deal anymore for today. im ready to jump out of my skin. thanks for the help guys.

stinger12
07-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Sorry about that. I wasn't directing that at you. What I was trying to say is I don't understand why they don't implement that feature in Reaper. Because if it worked that way, in Reaper, it would make things so much easier for us all, IMO.

hopi
07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
you may be having a problem with FX that won't work in 64 bit?

are you on pc or mac?

which ever, try also installing the 32 bit version of reaper and do the same thing and see if that works...

yes, you can have both the 32 and 64 bit reapers installed and they will live happily together... on both mac and pc...

btw.. so far all the questions you are asking are well covered in the PDF user guide, which btw, is searchable in Acrobat reader... do you have it? do you use it?

anyway here is one of the ways people are telling you:

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/949890/media%20item%20fx.gif

There are many ways to get this done, as have been said, depending on if you want to leave the fx in the project [non destructive] or if you want to render [print] the item with the fx included and use that to replace to original item...
The ways already pointed out are certainly fine and there are others if you really need more.

Seems like you first have to solve the crashing problem... you can see timeless don't crash my little 32 bit pc...:)

ngarjuna
07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Well it does sound like you are doing it right so...

here's one thing worth trying:

what happens if you use a Cockos plugin in that exact same way? Use something like ReaDelay that's super obvious. Does it work?

Another question: do the plugins you're trying to insert into items work fine if you insert them into the track FX? Or do they crash/not work there too?

hopi
07-10-2010, 09:12 PM
good thoughts ngarjuna... I don't run 64 bit but there is a thread here and other places about a vst wrapper for 32 bit fx to make them work in 64 bit... I am guessing that maybe part of the problem he is having ...but only a guess...

ok Jbridge here is the link and there is a demo
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

that is why I asked that he try a 32 bit reaper as well..

urednik
07-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Why splitting items, if you can use a sends track with the effect, then just use the volume envelope and turn the volume down where it is not needed. Also recomendable for making fade out or fade in of an effect ...

zoid9
07-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Personally, i wouldn't even bother splitting. I would just put the desired effect on the whole item, tweak it to how I want it, and automate the bypass.

beingmf
07-11-2010, 04:07 AM
- - - and automate the bypass.

...or the "wet/dry" ratio for smoother transition!

Kenny Gioia
07-11-2010, 07:47 AM
I personally prefer to split items because you can see that little (FX) button to remind you that there is an effect on that item.

I usually change it's color as well to something brighter.

My favorite part of making effects on items is cross-fading them with other items and hearing the effect fade in or out.

DBMusic
07-11-2010, 10:35 AM
There are some known issues with some plugins not working correctly with item level effects. UAD-2 plugs are one. At the track level they work fine. Assign them to a single item, and you can get everything from distorted playback to a Reaper freeze.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50517

Regards,

DB

lxm
07-11-2010, 11:14 AM
i reinstalled again(drivers for my hardware as well) and things seem to be OK. i dunno what the hell i did but it seems to be back to normal. thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. i do appreciate it.

urednik
07-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Personally, i wouldn't even bother splitting. I would just put the desired effect on the whole item, tweak it to how I want it, and automate the bypass.

Hey, I never could get this to work properly. It always makes blobs if I play around with the bypass envelope.

lxm
07-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Im still having problems?????

Applying FX to audio works fine but anything MIDI dosent work. Any idea why?

hopi
07-18-2010, 07:31 PM
you can't apply audio fx to midi...

if you want the fx on the 'sound' that your midi instsrument is making, the easiest way would be to render that out as audio to a new trak and add the fx to that...

we could talk about aux sends but it seems like that would just confuse you more at this point.

lxm
07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
ok. cool. i think i get the sends. it just dosent seem to work smoothly for me.