PDA

View Full Version : Wont

spikemullings
07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
New one. All reaper of course.

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/381266/Wont.mp3

This one was really hard to finish. I think I ended up chasing the pre-demo-rough-sketching-out-the-riffs version :D

So in the end I just had to say it's finished. But please please please come in with suggestions and help of any kind.

I'm reasonably happy with the triangle ;)

Edit - Final version http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/386000/Wont-final.mp3

Wolffman
07-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Awesome, I Love it !! especially the bass and guitar sounds, please tell :)

You really have a way with arangements that allows the song to grow and creates the feeling of a journey through the song that holds the interest of the listener, well me anyway :D.

Things I'd try out.

I'm thinking the vocals in the verses could do with some type of slightly distorted effect and then really squashed and forward in the mix, to create the sense of someone( slightly strange and a little scary ) right up in your face.

And i'd try to get a more gutsy sound form the drums, the feel is good but they seem a little understated somehow, not really sure what to suggest maybe some NY compression ?, just a thought.

Also my 1st impression is the start of the song is a bit long before the vocals come in, i almost thought it was an instrumental :)

Really!! good work Spike.

Cheers

stratman
07-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Great song, which I've come to expect from you now.

I can't judge the production because I can only listen on cheapo headphones at the moment.

I agree with Wolffman about the drums. They're a bit 'polite' and I'd like to hear more energy/attitude from them - maybe more John Bonham or Dave Grohl.

The songs builds really well. I especially like the way the second chorus is a variation on the first chorus and it takes things to a new level, almost like you've shifted into another gear.

Pete

Axonaut
07-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Starts off really well and...

00:20- 00:45 this instrumental section is too long, the guitar is too quiet and it's repetitive

Your voice is maybe mixed a bit quiet. It's sometimes slightly obscured by other instruments

01:00 - 01:12 Nothing happening here. There are no real chord changes in the verse section, as far as I can tell, so you need to do something more interesting with the arrangement here... make it louder, quieter, introduce a new sound or something. Or just shorten this bit.

The way you develop the chord progression in the second chorus (from A C# F# to A C# D B?) at 2:55 is very classy. Unexpected and good. (Though at the end of the song I was kind of expecting it to eventually go from the B to a high F# chord, with an A# in the melody line).

Really like your arrangement of the break at 4:20. The ending (6:00+) is also good.

Great song. Congratulations!

spikemullings
07-11-2010, 04:05 AM
Pete and Ash - thank you so much for listening and your brilliant as ever insights. Probably overcooked it now but is this a bit better with the drums and vox interest-wise?

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/381629/Wont-louder-drums.mp3

Axonaut, I have had so much great detailed advice from you - I am so grateful for your critique - yes indeed there is for sure a radio edit to be made of this track ;) :D

I made the comment in the first post above because the saying chasing the demo could have been invented for me. I just get too attached to stuff.

kindafishy
07-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Spike, you already know that I love your stuff, and this one is no exception. You have a remarkable sensibility to your songwriting that really appeals to me. It is mature and intelligent, a real pleasure to listen to and experience.

I've got no critiques of the mix, sorry. All I hear is a great song.

Thanks for sharing.

kindafishy
07-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Dude! Put the rest of your songs up on reverbnation. I want all my spike from one place!

Jolene FTW!!!

scottedog
07-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Just heard this....WOW!

Great song, arrangement, recording and that chorus has a fantastic lift to it. Like KF says-sounds mature and intelligent.

I agree with the drums a little tame & a radio edit.

Other than that-fantastic. Keep 'em coming!

shemp
07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
excellent work once again spike. I like the long-ness of it with the "empty spaces". Guitar, vox, arrangement, chord change choices, slide.... all class act. Another one for my regular listening rotation. definitely get it up on RN when you finish.

Sheppola
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Really good stuff.Nice and atmospheric.Great composition.

I like a bit more punch in the mix for this style.I think it might sound good as well if the sp**** guitar part was float panned a little now and then.

Pumped it up a bit for myself but it's a keeper :)

http://www.box.net/shared/x80poyaact

RichardM
07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
What a great song. If there was still stuff like this on the radio, I might listen once in a while.

I loved the continual "surprises" that kept arriving as the song progressed.

I record and mix pretty straightforward acoustic songs. I can't image how long you must have spent on a song that complex. Awesome job.

spikemullings
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Dude! Put the rest of your songs up on reverbnation. I want all my spike from one place!

Jolene FTW!!!

Thanks very much KF, I am really pleased you like the stuff - it's a massive boost to me!

But what's the deal with covers on RN or in fact generally? My understanding of US law is that you can post a cover on a site as long as there is no intention to make money and there is some educational or informational intention behind posting the cover. So that deals with covers on here - it's forum about how to use Reaper to produce tracks. I wouldn't be so confident of that POV on RN.

kindafishy
07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, I think the worst thing that would happen is you're told to take it down.

If you don't feel comfortable posting covers, you should still put anything else up that you've done.

spikemullings
07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Scott, Scott, Shep and Richard
Thanks a million guys! All youse guys and KF and ax and Pete and Ashley is the best!

I have a mix with the Steven Slate drums (rather than the EZdrums) on the go to see if people prefer a big overblown Bonham type drum track (like Pete suggested) If I can beg a little more of your patient listening when I put it up that would be wonderful.

Shep do you mean something specific by "float panning"? Love the sound of that.

spikemullings
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I think the worst thing that would happen is you're told to take it down.

Yeah you're right KF!
Am I a man or a mouse?
:D

Sheppola
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Scott, Scott, Shep and Richard
Thanks a million guys! All youse guys and KF and ax and Pete and Ashley is the best!

I have a mix with the Steven Slate drums (rather than the EZdrums) on the go to see if people prefer a big overblown Bonham type drum track (like Pete suggested) If I can beg a little more of your patient listening when I put it up that would be wonderful.

Shep do you mean something specific by "float panning"? Love the sound of that.

I was just trying to describe panning the sp**** guitar picked chord a little at the right point to float from off centre left to off centre right so it's doesn't sit in the same place and sort of enhances the affect on the ears.May not work but it's the kind of thing I would try.

As for covers I have a cover on ReverbNation and it's been on there for two years with no problems but it's not for sale and the credits are given to Albert King as in,

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/3053584?play_now=true

Tedwood
07-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Most excellent Spike!!!

Just listened to the louder drums version. Personally I would say it's finished. Anything else you do would only result in another version.

It sounds really powerful without mushing out. I hear it all well. The Bass sounds terrific!

Interesting vocal FX panning and multi tracking( parameter mod?)

Guitars all sitting nicely and painting a luxurious texture, with the single note lines up front that keep it from clogging up - I can't fault. The slide is very nicely done.

First rate selection of reverbs on the vocal tracks, and that is so hard to get right without sounding overdone

This is IMO your best yet in terms of production - so many layers and after a couple of listens I find myself wanting to hear it again because there is so much going on. As someone said " little surprises" always keeping my attention.

Very slight critique would be when your vocal goes up to the falsetto - just sounds a little uncertain, but no real biggie

Very well done Spike

shemp
07-14-2010, 12:59 PM
still not up on RN. Which means I can't listen at work. :(

Hey, I'll be in London Heathrow Friday around 12:30 pm for a 3 hour layover if you want to meet for lunch :D

spikemullings
07-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I was just trying to describe panning the sp**** guitar picked chord a little at the right point to float from off centre left to off centre right so it's doesn't sit in the same place and sort of enhances the affect on the ears.May not work but it's the kind of thing I would try.

Sounds sweet mate - going to give it a go.

Guitars all sitting nicely and painting a luxurious texture, with the single note lines up front that keep it from clogging up - I can't fault. The slide is very nicely done.

Ted, I can't even begin to tell you what that means to me coming from the tonemeister. I can assure you there is more happy accident than design but with the help of good people like you I hope I'm getting better.

s'bin nice to see you more on here recently as well my friend :)

Hey, I'll be in London Heathrow Friday around 12:30 pm for a 3 hour layover if you want to meet for lunch :D

Argh! Goddammit, I have to be in court defending some loser homeless dude! (i'm joking about the loser thing, that's what I do) - that would have been an auspicious lunch my good fellow! Maybe catch you on the way back?
Where ya headed cowboy?

shemp
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Argh! Goddammit, I have to be in court defending some loser homeless dude! (i'm joking about the loser thing, that's what I do) - that would have been an auspicious lunch my good fellow! Maybe catch you on the way back?
Where ya headed cowboy?

Postpone the case! :D

Headed to Stuttgart Germany. To play the Bang your Head Festival in Balingen.
http://www.bang-your-head.de/english/home.php

Returning, I'll be in Heathrow Sunday morning between around 8 and 9:45 AM.

Tedwood
07-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey Spike, happy accident indeed!

You are so frustratingly modest. ;) You earned it all by yourself - it's a pleasure to hear you in peak form

I see you dropped the "Cloth eared hobbyist " moniker as well. Very advisable at this stage of the game too.

spikemullings
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
OK just finishing off here. This is final version I think. Thank for all help and advice.

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/386000/Wont-final.mp3

and on reverbnation page - see below

SiKo
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Very nice man!

Something for VA- Reaperitis vol. 1 ;)

shemp
07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
OK just finishing off here. This is final version I think. Thank for all help and advice.

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/386000/Wont-final.mp3

and on reverbnation page - see below

excellent!

Wolffman
07-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Just got round to listening to the finnished track today, I gotta say this one is really growing on me Spike, the more i listen to it the more i'm liking it :D

It sounds much better, i particularly like how the vocal in the verse is panning around, you,ve taken it a step further with very good results.

Keep en coming mate :)

Cheers

kindafishy
07-22-2010, 06:25 AM
The final mix sounds so very good. Noticed that you jumped up to position 88 in the UK 'other' charts on ReverbNation. That's wicked!

Looking forward to your next tune now...