PDA

View Full Version : first song using reaper

ez_willis
07-18-2010, 04:40 PM
hard rock, i guess? damn these gates (http://www.audioandanarchy.com/mp3/damn_these_gates.mp3).

kindafishy
07-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Cool song, ez_willis. It has a real southern rock sound to it. Reminds me of Skynyrd a lot, which is great because I loves me some Skynyrd. It's all about moonshine, family love and overalls, son.

If I may...

I think the mix could use some slight changes in the depth of the instruments. Right now, everything seems up front, like we are in a really dry room, close mic'd and everyone is standing at the front of the stage. Some level adjustments and focus on reverb can move instruments front to back nicely.

Again, cool song. Looking forward to more, hopefully.

ez_willis
07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Cool song, ez_willis. It has a real southern rock sound to it. Reminds me of Skynyrd a lot, which is great because I loves me some Skynyrd. It's all about moonshine, family love and overalls, son.

If I may...

I think the mix could use some slight changes in the depth of the instruments. Right now, everything seems up front, like we are in a really dry room, close mic'd and everyone is standing at the front of the stage. Some level adjustments and focus on reverb can move instruments front to back nicely.

Again, cool song. Looking forward to more, hopefully.

thanks, man. suggestions on how to use reverb to accomplish the depth thing? and be specific if you don't mind. i'm still new and relatively clueless. :)

kindafishy
07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
thanks, man. suggestions on how to use reverb to accomplish the depth thing? and be specific if you don't mind. i'm still new and relatively clueless. :)

I have only been mixing for just over a couple years seriously, so I am relatively new as well. I'll offer up what I have learned though. This stuff has been working really well for me on my last few mixes.

I really like to visualize the mix. You know, close my eyes and picture the location where I want each instrument to sit in a 3D space. Basically, I get a mental picture of a band playing in a club, or in a hall, or whatever is right for the tune.

I don't really stray too much from the obvious. It's always drums in the back (each kit piece may gets individual attention though), bass up front more, guitars in front of the bass and then vocals and maybe accents at the forefront.

There's a few things that you can do to change the perception of where something sits on the stage front to back.

- Rolling off the top and/or bottom of an instrument slightly will give it the illusion of being pushed to the back of the stage. The brighter it is, the closer it is. Don't do this in isolation.
- Drop the volume slightly to push something to the back. Don't do this in isolation either.
- Time based and modulation effects are the most effective thing to use. The more reverb you have on something, the farther back it seems. Same with chorus, delay, flange and phase.
- Dannii has mentioned using a delay bus to create an overall space, and I want to experiment with this soon, but I haven't tried it yet (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=57264&highlight=delay).

Lately, I have taken to using a relatively complex reverb bus with anywhere between 5 - 7 different reverb sends grouped under a folder. Different instruments go to different reverb sends in some combination. For example, I might have lead and backup vocals going to their own tracks, the rythym guitars going to another one, the bass and the kick going to another and the rest of the drums going to another. This is an easy place to get creative though. Solo this bus and mix and match to basically make a reverb only submix. You are focusing on depth here. Watch your lows, it can get real muddy real fast.

When complete, drop the main bus fader, un-solo, and then bring it back up slowly under the main mix until you hear the magic. Keep muting it on and off to hear how it is affecting your mix and then adjust everything to taste. Depending on what you are going for, you either want to be able to slightly hear the reverb on everything, or you want it to be just so that if you mute it, the mix loses something important, but you can't exactly hear the effect.

Panning plays a big part in all of this too. Both inside the reverb bus and in the main mix.

I'm pretty much clueless too. I just close my eyes and try to make it sound cool. :D

ez_willis
07-19-2010, 06:12 PM
sweet. thanks. now i want you to explain that lynyrd skynyrd comparison. :D

kidding. guess i haven't heard much of it.

scottedog
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Lately, I have taken to using a relatively complex reverb bus with anywhere between 5 - 7 different reverb sends grouped under a folder. Different instruments go to different reverb sends in some combination. For example, I might have lead and backup vocals going to their own tracks, the rythym guitars going to another one, the bass and the kick going to another and the rest of the drums going to another. This is an easy place to get creative though. Solo this bus and mix and match to basically make a reverb only submix. You are focusing on depth here. Watch your lows, it can get real muddy real fast.

When complete, drop the main bus fader, un-solo, and then bring it back up slowly under the main mix until you hear the magic. Keep muting it on and off to hear how it is affecting your mix and then adjust everything to taste. Depending on what you are going for, you either want to be able to slightly hear the reverb on everything, or you want it to be just so that if you mute it, the mix loses something important, but you can't exactly hear the effect.

Great idea KF. I just might have to give this a go. :)

ez_willis

Cool tune. I wasn't really keen on the right side gtr sound, a bit fizzy for me. Otherwise, nice job.

ez_willis
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Cool tune. I wasn't really keen on the right side gtr sound, a bit fizzy for me. Otherwise, nice job.

yeah, i totally agree. and thanks.

sixstringer
07-21-2010, 11:31 AM
kindafishy & ez_willis,

I'll recommend a book that really helped me understand and "see" the visual part of mixing music: The Art of Mixing by David Gibson. There's pictures to help with understanding it all; and being that guys are "visual" they actually do help.

You can find it online at all the usual places. Be sure to get the 2nd Edition.

BTW, ez, great song!

Michael

ez_willis
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
thanks, man. i'm a bass player. the fact that i learned how to play all these instruments and get them recorded should warrant some kind of award or something. :D

i might be done with this song. i've got the drums tracked for 3 more, gonna start on one of them. i'll get that book though if it'll help me the next time i mix.

shemp
07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
good song! I agree, definitely the old Skynyrd vibe and similar sound to the mix. I like it.

ez_willis
07-21-2010, 03:00 PM
thanks, dude. i've heard the joe walsh/james gang comparison several times, but that's because my voice sucks. :D

i have to think the next song i do will be better in terms of the mix. i usually get to a point where i'm sick of hearing it. with project templates and the ability to save each channel's fx chain, i can start where i left off on this one and spend some time dialing things in. i'm gonna post an alternate mix of this one just to see what you guys think.

soundchaser59
07-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I understand the Skynyrd compare, I can hear Montrose and even a hint of the theme to Friends.

I like it pretty much the way it is, and the things I might change I cant tell you what to do to change them. I'm better at playing and tracking than I am at mixing and home mastering. I'd be tempted to take what you have as is and run it through Ozone to get the extra spaciousness and levels, then burn and turn.

i'm still new and relatively clueless. :)

Heh-heh! I don't think so.....and Welcome to Reaper!

the masked drummer
07-29-2010, 01:35 PM
hard rock, i guess? damn these gates (http://www.audioandanarchy.com/mp3/damn_these_gates.mp3).
I like the driving, happy feel to it. Not fond of E-drums, but I use them for home recording, too. It seems to lack the "beefy" quality, or "depth" I'd expect from a pro recording, but I'd say other than that you're doing a damm fine job, young lad!!!

www.myspace.com/mindrought (sorry, gotta plug my band while I'm at it.)

ez_willis
07-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I like the driving, happy feel to it. Not fond of E-drums, but I use them for home recording, too. It seems to lack the "beefy" quality, or "depth" I'd expect from a pro recording, but I'd say other than that you're doing a damm fine job, young lad!!!

thanks, but those are live acoustic drums. played by me. and i'm a bass player, not a drummer. obviously. :D

ez_willis
07-29-2010, 02:06 PM

is that a chapman stick on your myspace profile pic?