PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Jobby

swichlicour
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi, finished this track off last night. Approached the beat in a novel way for me, by splicing samples together in Soundforge. Everything else done in our beloved Reaper.

I'd be happy to know if you like it, or if you don't.

http://www.soundcloud.com/swichlicour/defer

kindafishy
07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I think SoundCloud sucks. It only works in IE for me.

This is really quite cool. I'm not generally an ambient guy, but I enjoyed this.

swichlicour
07-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Really? It works fine in Firefox for me.

Anyway, happy that you like the track. Just out of interest what normally is your type of music?

kindafishy
07-24-2010, 05:17 AM
Doesn't work in Firefox or Chrome for me. Just IE.

Normally, I listen to heavy rock and sludgy metal, but it ranges really. I can appreciate all genres of music when it is well done (hence why I like this song), but I generally listen to stuff that is guitar/bass/drums/vocals traditional band kind of stuff.

ReaDave
07-24-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm going to check this out later on, Swichlicour. I enjoy ambient style and have recorded quite a bit of ambient stuff myself (Tangerine Dream have been one of my major influences over the years). I'm typing this reply from my iPhone and soundcloud doesn't work on iPhone. It doesn't work in Firefox for me either (on Windows 7) but I will listen later on when I'm at my PC.

swichlicour
07-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Cool, look forward to hearing your take on it.

swichlicour
07-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Dannii? Dannii!

ReaDave
07-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Dannii? Dannii!

I'm glad you bumped this. I got sidetracked and haven't had a listen yet.
I'm heading over to my pc in a few mins and will take a listen. :)

ReaDave
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
That is certainly an intriguing collection of samples and sounds Switch. I like what you've done with the phase of the deeper samples. I had to pause a couple of times to make sure the sounds I was hearing were actually on the track and not outside!!

I'm curious to know more about the story behind this one. What did you use and how did it come about?

no even fear
07-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Good job swichlicour. The atmosphere is very impressive and mesmerizing.
I had also this sensation of sounds that coming from out of my headphone, nice effect because many sounds come only from center without stereo image, good contrast. But there are some involuntary drops, no ?

fixerdave
08-01-2010, 02:39 AM
working with Chrome here, dave

swichlicour
08-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Dannii: Thanks for the listen, happy you found it interesting. The percussive element was put together in Soundforge, but splicing together numerous samples from freesound.org. Some of the phasing in that part was achieved simply by offsetting two instances of the same sample (of something being dropped down stairs) - two back to back and a third halfway along. The rest of the sounds were created in and played with NI Massive.

no even fear: Glad you like it - know what you mean by mesmerising! Could you explain what you mean by 'involuntary drops'? That there is some unintended phase cancellation/destructive interference?

no even fear
08-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Could you explain what you mean by 'involuntary drops'? That there is some unintended phase cancellation/destructive interference?
It's certainly voluntary, sorry, I think at the short sound that appears at seconds 2, 6, 12, ...

swichlicour
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Ah, yes, that's a sample of a gas fire lighting - might be slightly too loud in the mix, listening to it now on headphones. It's not so obtrusive on monitors.