PDA

View Full Version : Some recordings.

bls
07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
This is some stuff I recorded for some friends out of Austin. I'm in the process of mixing for them and thought I would post to get some feedback. Feel free to lay any opinion or advice out there.

Come Down:
http://www.box.net/shared/v12kadhmju

913006:
http://www.box.net/shared/ffhracd3kr

Zee Wavesurfer
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Comments for ''Come down'' :
Sounds pretty cool :) Good riff too.

The left/right balance is off a tad, the guitar on the right stands out too much imo, it should be leveled like the one on the left, then I believe you'll get it pushing properly... Since the 2 guitar tones are different, no worry they'll both come through fine.

Personal taste : I wouldn't make the vocals pan so wide in such a left/right guitar context. Vocals level sounds a tiny micron too low but properly balanced all together. The lower male vocal is too present compared to the girl's voice but I believe you have a panlaw set to +x so narrowing should take care of it...

Fatter kick maybe.

Still, overall it is very pleasant to listen too.

Keep it up :)

bls
07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks Zee.

I'll play around with that advice and see where it gets me.

kindafishy
07-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Come Down

Cool song first off. Creative arrangement.

This is a creative choice, and completely subjective, but given the distinct difference between what the different guitars are doing in the verses, I might have panned them differently. The guitar on the left, I would have maybe doubled it (or haas'ed it maybe) and panned it L and R, and put the guitar on the right up the centre. The whole mix kind of leans to the left for me in the verses. For every other section, I like the way the guitars are panned as is. I'm not trying to suggest that you experiment with this, just thinking out loud how I may have approached it differently. The creative side of mixing is very cool.

The density and intensity of what is going on changes, but I don't get much of a sense of a change in dynamics. Maybe there is a lot of limiting/compression happening? If not, maybe you could consider some volume automation of different instruments for different sections to make them pop a little more.

More or bigger kick.

How many different people are singing? I like the way this sounds

I'm getting the same sense of a lack of dynamic range here. It's missing a sensation of a natural pulsation of the music. I don't know what it is. Everything is very flat.

More or bigger kick.

Oveall, all the sounds, performances, timbres and tones sound like they were well recorded. I bet the people in this band are really happy with this, I would be.

bls
07-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Thanks for listening fishy, I appreciate the comments.

I like what you're suggesting about trying to create more of a pulse, I'm going to look into that. Maybe I can find a way to bring more of a pocket out of the song.

Actually, on a production not, there's not a lot of compressin. There's a ton on the vox, because those performances were all over the place dynamically. However, my biggest tool for mixing these was really just low shelves and hi-passing. That and a ton of sources for natural eq.

I think this project is a huge jump forward for me in terms of not over boosting and over compressing. I'm glad to hear that anyone enjoyed it.

bls
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm going to remove these tunes in the next few days, so I just wanted to bump this in case anyone was willing to offer some more feedback.

kindafishy
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
shame that you're going to remove these. I often come back and listen to stuff from here many more times...

bls
07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I appreciate that very much, but I feel that I need to because the tunes are not mine, and they are not done yet. I really just wanted help along the way.

I thought you guys had some good advice, and I'll probably post some more of their stuff as I work along. And I would like to post some of the finals when we get done.

Thanks again, your insight was great.