PDA

View Full Version : Song with Hit Factory Drums - Nevermind

Glennbo
08-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I used my new Hit Factory kit that I've been dialing in on this song.

It's titled "Nevermind" at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=5672&songID=9472978

fearnot
08-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Hey Glennbo

Sounds good. Are you playing an edrum kit into the Hit Factory sounds? If so, what interface ie. TD-12.......ect. are you using? I have a TD-10 module going into Superior 2 and have never been satisfied with the hi-hat performance. Yours sounded very good and responsive. J

Glennbo
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Glennbo

Sounds good. Are you playing an edrum kit into the Hit Factory sounds? If so, what interface ie. TD-12.......ect. are you using? I have a TD-10 module going into Superior 2 and have never been satisfied with the hi-hat performance. Yours sounded very good and responsive. J

Thanks J!

I'm using a bunch of dual trigger pads plugged into a TD-6 brain. I hated the cymbal pads that came with this kit, so I replaced them all with dual trigger rubber pads. I was having problems with the cymbal pads that look like cymbals false choking on me too frequently. My hihat pad is dual trigger and I have it set so that the tight tip sample is on the center of the pad and slightly looser is on the rim. The open samples are assigned with full open on the center and half open on the rim. Have you tried some of the preset hihat curves for edrums? I think I'm using the one that has more closed samples from halfway down on the pedal to fully down.

Here's my kit.

http://members.cox.net/glennbo/V-DrumsS.jpg

Sound asleep
08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I thought you were going to show us some hit factory drums and then changed your mind.

Glennbo
08-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I thought you were going to show us some hit factory drums and then changed your mind.

It's sort of like a trick question, except this is a trick subject! <g>

kindafishy
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I really like that snare.

Nice funky song. To my ears, there is an irritating click or pop happening, mostly in the section preceding the vocals. I'm not sure where it's coming from though. Sounds either like the bass or the kick drum maybe. I think it's the bass. A fast attack compressor might tame that a bit.

There's a bit of a Steve Miller funky phase vibe going on here. Like it. Nice one.

Glennbo
08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I really like that snare.

Nice funky song. To my ears, there is an irritating click or pop happening, mostly in the section preceding the vocals. I'm not sure where it's coming from though. Sounds either like the bass or the kick drum maybe. I think it's the bass. A fast attack compressor might tame that a bit.

There's a bit of a Steve Miller funky phase vibe going on here. Like it. Nice one.

Thanks KF! :)

The snare in the Hit Factory samples called "Trick" is the most expressive digital snare I've played. When you lay into it you start getting some of the great sounding Hit Factory room. I'm still getting my pad kit and Superior 2 adjusted to each other for this kit. I've already set Reaper to load this drum kit and it's mix as the default start up template.

The pops are very likely my bass playing. I'm using my little short scale Gretsch Electromatic, which is a guitar length bass. I think I have a tendency make slap/pop sounds with the looser strings on it vs my full size 5-string OLP Stingray. The combination of me using a pick and playing a part I can barely pull off makes the slop factor high. I might try putting a de-esser on it. I've used the db-audio de-esser with very good success on clean strats and teles that had guitar pedal compressors make them have popping transients.

fearnot
08-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks J!

I'm using a bunch of dual trigger pads plugged into a TD-6 brain. I hated the cymbal pads that came with this kit, so I replaced them all with dual trigger rubber pads. I was having problems with the cymbal pads that look like cymbals false choking on me too frequently. My hihat pad is dual trigger and I have it set so that the tight tip sample is on the center of the pad and slightly looser is on the rim. The open samples are assigned with full open on the center and half open on the rim. Have you tried some of the preset hihat curves for edrums? I think I'm using the one that has more closed samples from halfway down on the pedal to fully down.

Here's my kit.

http://members.cox.net/glennbo/V-DrumsS.jpg

Thanks for the reply Glennbo. There was a time when I almost got it close to what I wanted. Then for some reason I lost it. I will try again some of those presets again. Thanks again. J

Glennbo
08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the reply Glennbo. There was a time when I almost got it close to what I wanted. Then for some reason I lost it. I will try again some of those presets again. Thanks again. J

I don't know if every one of these steps is necessary, but if you right click the hihat then click the "Edit Articulation Only", then select from the drop down list "Hats Ctrl", and then click tab labeled "mapping", on that panel is a button for CC, and a presets drop down list. On the item "midi" is pedal correction. It looks like the one I'm using is "more closed, no curve". It definitely made a big difference on my kit, but I did have to do a bunch of test recordings to finally decide which one I thought sounded the most realistic.

fearnot
08-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't know if every one of these steps is necessary, but if you right click the hihat then click the "Edit Articulation Only", then select from the drop down list "Hats Ctrl", and then click tab labeled "mapping", on that panel is a button for CC, and a presets drop down list. On the item "midi" is pedal correction. It looks like the one I'm using is "more closed, no curve". It definitely made a big difference on my kit, but I did have to do a bunch of test recordings to finally decide which one I thought sounded the most realistic.

Well I was about to try your suggestion but I'm having a big problem. At one time the td-10 worked fine (aside from the hi-hat) going into Superior 2 and BFD 2. Now when I hit a pad there's about a 4 sec delay before the drum sounds. I know it's not Superior or BFD specific because it happens in both. I must have changed something in Reaper or the TD-10 along the way. I initialized the TD-10. Same thing. The local sounds play and sound fine in the TD-10. So it would seem some midi setting in out of wack either in Reaper or the TD-10. Any idea's?

Thought I'd try here first since you have your setup sounding so good. I'll move it to the main discussion room if I don't here from you soon. Thanks, J

Glennbo
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Well I was about to try your suggestion but I'm having a big problem. At one time the td-10 worked fine (aside from the hi-hat) going into Superior 2 and BFD 2. Now when I hit a pad there's about a 4 sec delay before the drum sounds. I know it's not Superior or BFD specific because it happens in both. I must have changed something in Reaper or the TD-10 along the way. I initialized the TD-10. Same thing. The local sounds play and sound fine in the TD-10. So it would seem some midi setting in out of wack either in Reaper or the TD-10. Any idea's?

Thought I'd try here first since you have your setup sounding so good. I'll move it to the main discussion room if I don't here from you soon. Thanks, J

Soundcard latency is the first place I'd look.

fearnot
08-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Soundcard latency is the first place I'd look.

Thanks Glennbo Yeah, that ocurred to me too. Everything else is trigger fine. From keyboards anyway. Plus I turnd the buffers down to 48 samples in the FF800 just to see. Same exact thing. Tried changing midi cables. I'm getting a sinking feeling that something has gone south in the TD-10. I noticed a funny looking line in the led screen of the TD-10 too. Which might mean nothing, but might mean something if you know what I mean. J

Glennbo
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks Glennbo Yeah, that ocurred to me too. Everything else is trigger fine. From keyboards anyway. Plus I turnd the buffers down to 48 samples in the FF800 just to see. Same exact thing. Tried changing midi cables. I'm getting a sinking feeling that something has gone south in the TD-10. I noticed a funny looking line in the led screen of the TD-10 too. Which might mean nothing, but might mean something if you know what I mean. J

What happens if you use a midi keyboard to play Superior or BFD? Is there latency when played from a midi keyboard? That'll tell you if it's the TD-10 or some setting in the drum plugs.

fearnot
08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
What happens if you use a midi keyboard to play Superior or BFD? Is there latency when played from a midi keyboard? That'll tell you if it's the TD-10 or some setting in the drum plugs.

Yeah. It works fine triggered with a keyboard.

The TD-10 seems to be sending some sort of continuous info to the midi interface. Can't figure out what it is. That could be the problem perhaps. J

fearnot
08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Ah! Success Glennbo. Just shut everything down. Unplugged the midi interface and brought everything back up. Trying your suggestions and feel I'm getting pretty close here. Thanks! J