PDA

View Full Version : A powerful midi editor ?

STAL
08-15-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't really like the midi editor in Reaper it's not as powerful or as easy to use as on some other DAWs.
So my question is do you know any powerful stand alone midi editor that you've worked with and think is good ?

Thanks
Stan

EvilDragon
08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Did you try customizing the MIDI editor and changing keyboard shortcuts? It has a lot of actions in the list, maybe you should check it out.

It is not so bad, really. What puts you off?

STAL
08-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Did you try customizing the MIDI editor and changing keyboard shortcuts? It has a lot of actions in the list, maybe you should check it out.

It is not so bad, really. What puts you off?

well actually I didn't try to customize anything when I went through the midi window I didn't see a whole lot...
Of course I can be wrong. I've got interested in Reaper because everything is simplified - in a good way. You don't have tons of useless actions to perform to get to a certain point.
Is there a way I can input midi notes through my keyboard - like pressing 1 for quarter notes and then just pressing the keys on the midi controller. Also I didn't find a way to drag a box and select the midi notes also didn't find a way to easily change octaves for individual notes.
Can at least some of this be done in Reaper and how can I customize it ?

dub3000
08-15-2010, 03:25 PM
well actually I didn't try to customize anything when I went through the midi window I didn't see a whole lot...
Of course I can be wrong. I've got interested in Reaper because everything is simplified - in a good way. You don't have tons of useless actions to perform to get to a certain point.
Is there a way I can input midi notes through my keyboard - like pressing 1 for quarter notes and then just pressing the keys on the midi controller. Also I didn't find a way to drag a box and select the midi notes also didn't find a way to easily change octaves for individual notes.
Can at least some of this be done in Reaper and how can I customize it ?

Right click drag to select notes, same as the rest of reaper. Shift or ctrl up/down (can't remember which) to push notes up or down. Double click a note on the keyboard on the left to select all notes of that key.

It's a very good midi editor when you learn the tricks. There are better ones but it it's still very capable.

EvilDragon
08-15-2010, 03:35 PM
As dub3000 said, yes, you can move the selected notes by semitones and octaves. Search the Actions list (press '?') for "semitone" and "octave" and assign those keys to whatever you personally like.

Yes, right-click drag is the marquee select. Same goes for CC lanes. You cannot change this at the moment.

You have two step input modes, so check them out. User guide is your friend as well ;)

STAL
08-15-2010, 03:51 PM
ok guys thanks to both of you!
have a great night !