PDA

View Full Version : The song is done! Thanks to nofish for the drums.

jeredsteeves
08-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey everyone,

This is my first finished song in a very long time. Reaper rocks! And I hope to post many more songs here in the future.

Oh, and nofish is pretty awesome at doing drum tracks. Just so you know...

http://www.soundclick.com/louierussoandthesawmills

Thanks for listening!

klangmaler
08-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Not bad, good voice......

k235
08-20-2010, 03:04 AM
I also like the voice! The overall mix sounds a little dampened / too dull. Might wanna freshen that up a little. Apart from that I'd say good work!

jeredsteeves
08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Any suggestions on how to freshen it up? I'm still learning how to do all this, so any tips will be appreciated.

I took off some of the high end because I found it actually hurt my ears at higher volume during the chorus. So rather than add more high end, maybe take off some mids? Will that help clear it up?

camerondye
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
If you want some help on this...post the tracks at box.net and let people add what they can and try mixing it and post the results.

jeredsteeves
08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Oh man, that file could get huge! I think I have upwards of 50 tracks on this one. Is there any secrets or shortcuts that will make posting the tracks a little easier? I'm at work right now so I can't open Reaper up to try for myself.

camerondye
08-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Load Ogg Files. They are good to mix to, they keep in the right spot unlike mp3's, and they sound good. Render to only the point you need to and put it in the zip download and it won't be near as bad as you think. Remember if anything ever was a midi file, include the midi file also.
cam

k235
08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Any suggestions on how to freshen it up? I'm still learning how to do all this, so any tips will be appreciated.

My favorite for that kind of work is this right now:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/overtonegeq/

Try messing around with it and A/B with the untreated version.

jeredsteeves
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
That plugin looks pretty slick. Can't wait to get home and try it out. I just used ReaEQ and a multiband compressor and the master limiter (all plugins that came with Reaper) on the master track. Should I perhaps be using something different or not using the ones I have been?

camerondye
08-20-2010, 12:22 PM
MB Compression is a no no on master buss or mastering unless you're specifically fixing an issue or seriously know what you are doing. Even pros mess up mixes with MB compression.

I use eq if necessary, a little bit of single band compression and a limiter to master a track. On the master buss, use a single band compression just doing just a touch of gelling...I prefer a compressor that does SSL type compression on the buss usually.
cam

jeredsteeves
08-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Man, there's so much to learn. I liked the multiband compressor because it was an easy way of giving the bottom end some "punch". So I figured it was the way to go. I guess I could get that same effect with some careful EQing. I definitely did notice the ability of the mb compressor to change the mix drastically...even with subtle adjustments.

Am I ever looking forward to the day I have all those plugins figured out and have a good system down for everything