PDA

View Full Version : New Song: Faith Healer

smallbutmighty
08-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Just finished a new song last night: "Faith Healer". It's first up in the play list on my website. (http://www.aaroncheney.com)

Would appreciate any an all comments on the song and recording. It's a rough mix at this point, and I expect to make tweaks over the next week or so. I may re-record a few parts here and there, as needed.

Let me know what you think!

flatpickle
08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Aaron,

Super clean, clear, and slick production. (LCR mixing?) Definitely a great-sounding track and one to be proud of. Nice gritty bass tone, and spanky guitar parts. Background vocals sound great, too.

Here's what I think could be improved: Right now, the second verse sounds too much like the first (drums, bass, vocal and nothing else). The sparse instrumentation definitely works for the first verse--provides contrast from the somewhat busy intro, and gives you something to build on--but I think an added layer of something (hammond organ or synth or something? not that it has to be prominent, just something a bit different from the first verse).

Also, I think the phone-filtered female voice at the end might be played just a bit too far. By the time it came around the third time, I didn't want to hear it any more. You might try a suction ending and see how it compares.

(Okay, I just googled "suction ending" because I realized it's a sort of bluegrass-specific thing. Not a blip on the internet, except some dude mentioning it in passing during an article about a banjo player with a missing finger. A suction ending is an abrupt ending before resolving to the one chord, with the abrupt ending usually falling on the 4th beat of a 4/4 measure.)

DuraMorte
08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I thought the high harmonies during the choruses were too loud, compared to the lead vocals.
I agree with flatpickle about the second verse needing some spice.

Wolffman
08-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Nice work mate !! I think it sounds great, but they might have something re: the 2nd verse, maybe just a touch of that funky guitar would nail it.

Gotta say I LOVE the bass tone !!

Cheers

smallbutmighty
08-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I"m going to work on this tune again this weekend...add a few things, tweak the mix a bit (high vox in chorus will come down), and see if I can finish her up.

I think you are all dead-on about the second verse. I'll go one step further and say that the final chorus also needs a little something subtle to develop the song as well.

I LOVE the "suction" ending idea.

Flatpickle: forgive my ignorance, but what is LCR mixing?

FYI: the bass is a Fender Hot Rod P bass (the one in the picture on my website) through a Tech21 VT Bass pedal. For the rap part I added a 3Leaf Groove Regulator, and then during the bass solo I kicked on an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe.

Thanks again....stay tuned for a remix dropping early next week.

flatpickle
08-26-2010, 09:25 AM
"LCR mixing" is the mixing technique in which you use only 3 pan positions (hard left, center, hard right). I think it was a holdover from some older mixing boards from the beginning of stereo sound recording, where those were the only panning choices.

It's known for producing squeaky-clean songs when used well. Often, the reverbs will be panned to a different spot than the signal being reverberated (guitar on L, reverb for that guitar on C or R).

Apparently Bruce Swedien tends to use this technique, and it was apparent on "Thriller", and some Cyndi Lauper stuff, and also Yep talked about it being used in some Dusty Springfield recordings in a different thread.

zoso2
08-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I thought the high harmonies during the choruses were too loud, compared to the lead vocals.
I agree with flatpickle about the second verse needing some spice.

i concur. Great song btw!

smallbutmighty
08-26-2010, 10:03 AM
"LCR mixing" is the mixing technique in which you use only 3 pan positions....

Ahh...LCR....got it. I don't do it consciously, but now that I think about, that is what I tend to do instinctively. I've always sort of felt that a listener hears anything more centered than 50% as "center", and anything wider than 50% as either L or R, so I tend to just put things there and be done with it.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments everyone, and stay tuned...

smallbutmighty
08-30-2010, 11:49 AM
A new mix of Faith Healer is up, for anyone that cares to listen.

Thanks again for the suggestions - almost all were implemented. At this point I'm going to call this song done, for better or worse, and move on to something new. However, I would still be interested in any comments or criticisms.

Thanks!

Bearcub
08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
This is a cool jam. I'd say more of a jam than a song really, but it's got cool written all over it. How did you get the playing so TIGHT? Did you use loops, or did you really capture that as a live performance?!

The guitar lick and groove reminds me of something from thriller..."wanna be starting something".

If I had to make a suggestion maybe it would be that the dynamics pump a little too much for me, so I'd like to hear more natural dynamics. It feels like the track "ducks" at times when it shouldn't. Like...there's the beginning of the song with the synth and the (great sounding) powerful bass, but it doesn't really get louder or more powerful than that intro. Dynamically it doesn't seem to build along with the expanding arrangement.

smallbutmighty
08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Everything besides the drums is real. Drums are Addictive Drums.

Re the dynamics, I'll be the first to admit I suck as mastering. I'll probably have some of them pro mastered at some point. For now they are really just demos.

Re the guitar lick sounding like "Wanna Be Starting Something"...touche. When I realized how similar they were I tried like hell to come up with something else, but I could find nothing that worked near as well. I finally just said screw it and went with the right thing for song.