PDA

View Full Version : Choke - Stonephish

kindafishy
09-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Same band that I posted the previous song for. This one was written in 1992 and recorded in 1994. This song is a different style than the last one I put up. This is leaning toward the heavier side of our writing. We did get heavier than this, but this is the heaviest song that we completed in the studio before breaking up.

All comments good, bad or indifferent are very welcome and encouraged. This is done like dinner and I likely won't revisit it to make any changes, but I'll take any thoughts and opinions as something to hold onto for future mixes.

As before, recorded on a 1/2-inch Fostex B-16 Reel to Reel, transferred into Pro Tools, exported and then pulled into REAPER where it was mixed and mastered.

Crank it up loud. It was mastered for dynamics, not loudness.

http://www.box.net/shared/lsj4g0v2f2

scottedog
09-02-2010, 06:55 AM
I was wondering when we'd hear more from this project. Cool tune, KF.
Everything sits a little too far under the rhythm gtrs for me (they're a hair too bright too). Otherwise great.
Sounds stupid to say but it's refreshing to hear an actual band rather than programmed drums and tons of timing/tuning edits until it's perfect.

btw, I expect the next release to be faster than this one, too long in between releases. ;)

kindafishy
09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Scott. Sloppy is what we did best... actually, we couldn't do any better so we just dealt with it and called it style :).

I can hear what you're pointing out with the guitars. I questioned the brightness and levels many times while mixing, but settled on what you hear now as it is representative of how the band sounded live (for better or worse).

Thanks for the advice, man. Good ear. I might do another round of mastering at some point, and if I do, I will look at attenuating the high end a bit.

Wolffman
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Call it style, call it feel, swagger, whatever else you can think of, but that very thing your refering to as sloppy is quite often the magic that makes the band what it is, be it good or bad, depending obvioulsy on the amount of sloppy :D but super tight certainly doesn't make for a super band, IMHO.

I have to agree with Scott and say the mix is a little guitar heavy for my liking but it still sounds very good, and i guess you have mixed it like that intentionaly in keeping with the early 90's sound.

Thanks for sharing, i enjoyed the listen

Cheers

nero
09-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Hello Kyndafishy,
another great track from you, Love the guitars work\textures and I think the sound is way more better than the other song you posted.
Thank you for sharing
Nero

spikemullings
09-03-2010, 10:03 AM
FRckin' rock 'n roll!

Yes!

nOT ENOGH GITARS!!!!!!!!!

No , OK, they are right, but that's a cracking sounding work-out right there!

kindafishy
09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Call it style, call it feel, swagger, whatever else you can think of, but that very thing your refering to as sloppy is quite often the magic that makes the band what it is, be it good or bad, depending obvioulsy on the amount of sloppy :D but super tight certainly doesn't make for a super band, IMHO.

I have to agree with Scott and say the mix is a little guitar heavy for my liking but it still sounds very good, and i guess you have mixed it like that intentionaly in keeping with the early 90's sound.

Thanks for sharing, i enjoyed the listen

Cheers

Cool that you enjoyed the tune, Wolffman. The prominence of the guitars is partly to keep with the 90's vibe, and partly because the band was very much guitar driven so I thought that it was appropriate to have them as the focus.

I'm hearing that I went overboard on putting the guitars up front though. Seems like the common consensus here. These songs will likely get a remix at some point so this is something that I will definitely adjust (this is a labour of love and I want them to be as good as they can be so as I get better I will want to revisit them).

I kind of like it this way though... I mean, all other instruments exist just for the purpose of supporting the guitar riffs, right? :D <- This is the reason that it is so cool to be able to mix music. It can be done in so many different ways and tailored to however one wants to experience it.

I just have to tear myself away from mixing from the perspective of a guitar player.

kindafishy
09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Hello Kyndafishy,
another great track from you, Love the guitars work\textures and I think the sound is way more better than the other song you posted.
Thank you for sharing
Nero

Thanks Nero. I think chicks dig the other one better and dudes like this one better. :)

This was always my favourite song to play live. We'd go completely nuts at the end. During our last show, we just spontaneously extended that last section and kept speeding up the tempo until none of us could keep up with it anymore. Good times for sure...

kindafishy
09-04-2010, 04:12 PM
FRckin' rock 'n roll!

Yes!

nOT ENOGH GITARS!!!!!!!!!

No , OK, they are right, but that's a cracking sounding work-out right there!

Appreciate it, Spike. I know, right? I should add more guitars! Everything else should be drenched in reverb and pushed to the back of the mix. This should be true of all mixes.

Artbay
09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
"nOT ENOGH GITARS!!!!!!!!!"

Appreciate it, Spike. I know, right? I should add more guitars! Everything else should be drenched in reverb and pushed to the back of the mix. This should be true of all mixes.heyyyy, if a couple of umlauts change your mind, then take this.... h gr w !!!

:D

jk, it rocked!

carbon
09-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Excellent noisy rck'n'rll!

Lastrite
09-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Great song and great performance. I agree with the remarks about the guitar being too loud though.

henge
09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Rockin'! As stated previously it's nice to hear a bunch of musicians grooving and feeding off each other.Over headphones it sounds nice and warm. Guits volume is not bugging me funnily enough! Good stuff.

kindafishy
09-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Umlats FTW...

Sincere thanks for the critiques and compliments, guys.

It's difficult for me to hear that the guitars are too loud, even though I believe everyone (except henge, apparently, you rock harder).

It must be a bias from years of playing and focusing on guitar.

Lesson learned and stuffed in my back pocket for the future. Man, it's hard to resist going back and tweaking, but must move on...

shemp
09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
dude, I love this song! Guitars are a little loud but it's an in your face tune. I'd leave it. Put it on RN so I can listen at work.

moio
09-10-2010, 01:16 AM
YES! great drum/bass groove ...

kindafishy
09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Tune posted on reverbnation, shemp.

www.reverbnation.com/thechoke

Thanks moio. The bass player from this band was/is one of my favourite bass players. He approaches the instrument from a very unique melodic perspective, yet thumps enough to keep it percussive. I think the same of the drummer. He approached the drums from a really musical perspective, rather than a percussive one. He had great style.

These dudes were all a real blast to play with. We're still great friends after all these years too. We don't jam or anything, but we still get together once or twice a year.

shemp
09-10-2010, 12:14 PM
cool thanks ;)

I can hear this song being on Soundgarden's first album.

ScalerWave
09-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Man, I really like this.

Did you say that you transferred the tracks from Pro Tools to Reaper or just that you mastered the mixdown in Reaper?

Any Tool fans in that band?

kindafishy
09-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks a lot, ScalarWave.

It was recorded on tape, then it sat in a box for around 15 years. It was then pulled off the tapes somehow. Not sure what was involved there. It was done at a studio in Toronto and I wasn't around for that part. The engineer gave us both sound designer files and pro tools sessions. I loaded the tracks up in pro tools just for the purpose of exporting them. They existed in Pro Tools for about 15 minutes each :). All editing, mixing and mastering was done in REAPER.

We were definitely Tool fans. Saw them in a club in Toronto back then. That was unforgettable. It's obvious to say, but we were very much a by-product of the major music scene in the early 90's. When we weren't practicing and writing, we were sitting around listening to Tool, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Nirvana, White Zombie, Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Melvins, Beastie Boys, Masters of Reality, Beck, etc. What a great time in music, eh? Along with those, we were heavily into the classics like Zeppelin, Bowie, Sabbath, Hendrix, Zappa, Floyd, etc. A little bit of all of that inevitably crept into whatever we were writing.

Sheppola
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Nice.Same as the above posts

I can hear a couple of ,"Clicks" at the beginning but considering the transfers it's had to have I suppose they're somewhere in the recording.

kindafishy
09-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Shep. Ha ha. I never heard the clicks until you just pointed it out, even after listening to this literally hundreds of times.

Ah well, I can remove those at some point. :)

Chris_P_Critter
10-02-2010, 11:53 AM
FUCK YEA JOHNNY!

This kills man! I love this song!

kindafishy
10-02-2010, 03:10 PM
FUCK YEA JOHNNY!

This kills man! I love this song!

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

Thank you so much Chris.

devez
10-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Normally I don't listen this kind of music, but wow, this was nice! :D

Is it just me but should those vocals be +0.5db louder?

kindafishy
10-05-2010, 05:23 AM
Normally I don't listen this kind of music, but wow, this was nice! :D

Is it just me but should those vocals be +0.5db louder?

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

No, it's not you. The vocals could be more up front for sure, however, I mixed it this way on purpose because this is how the band performed, so it's representative. The vocals were kind of treated like just another instrument in the band, so they were blended into the overall sound rather than being the focus.

Thanks for the listen!

digitalskyfire
10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
It's not that the guitars are too loud... the vocals are too quiet ;)