PDA

View Full Version : Sungazer (sneak peek)

Amberience
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey all,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630473/Sungazer%20-%20Superior%20Mix.mp3

This is a song I wrote a while back. I've remixed it slightly in this latest version. The song will eventually become a Tacoma track... but this version is the one I originally wrote, and I've been using it for mix-practice.

Comments, advice, etc... much appreciated!

I guess this mixing style is inspired by what I've been listening to lately - which is a lot of Mastodon, Periphery, Limp Bizkit, and Proghma-C.

Drums were played on a TD-9 kit, then quantized only slightly to tighten it up in a few key areas. Wanted to keep the humanism from my playing. Guitars are Podfarm, bass is our bassist and his sansamp bass driver.

scottedog
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Cool. I like the odd meter grooves.
Guitars and bass sound good but to my ear the snare doesn't sit right, sounds kinda naked if you know what I mean. Needs to be bigger?
Also the china takes over in places.

Lastrite
09-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Very cool tune.

Drums need some cohesion I agree. Maybe some more room or compression. Kick and snare sound a bit foreign.
The kick-sound you picked is very wet and sloppy, which would be great for a rocktune. But in this case I'd personally go for more of a metal sound for it.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris_P_Critter
09-08-2010, 05:54 AM
Really digging the part that comes in at 1:50 dude!

Me likey.

kindafishy
09-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Very cool. There's a lot to like here. Podfarm has some really good heavy/distorted modelling going on, doesn't it? Is it amongst the best out there for heavy tones?

I love the various grooves in this tune. Looking forward to hearing it develop and become a TNBD tune.

Awesome stuff man.

Amberience
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm thinking of bringing more snare-room in on this, but I like the kick. I didn't want to go for a typical metal clicky kick. I'm after something more reminiscent of Nu-Metal than thrash or speed metal. Think Deftones rather than Killswitch, for an example.

It could be that the kick needs a little ADSR work, to separate the trigger events out more and make it more snappy. I'll have a play with it.

Podfarm doesn't really sound like a real amp. But it does sound better for this kind of thing that Amplitube 3 or Revalver - imho.

There's a lot of NYC style compression going on here, but maybe I need to turn up that channel so it's more prominent. I'm always scared of pushing the parallel comp too far as I've had 'dynamics dynamics dynamics' drilled into me through years of listening to post-rock and more dynamic metal!!

henge
09-09-2010, 06:37 AM
It could be that the kick needs a little ADSR work, to separate the trigger events out more and make it more snappy. I'll have a play with it.

!!

I think I agree with you on this. Smoking tune though!