PDA

View Full Version : First songs completed in REAPER

richlum
03-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Hey all,

finished my first 2 full songs in REAPER.

I Wanna Go Back and SomedaySomewhereSomehow

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=667537

The first one is a little different to the stuff I normally write so mixing was a bit more unfamiliar than usual.

Still learning all the ins and outs of REAPER but once I got going editing tracks and mixing is so much easier than what I had been used to with n-Track and Tracktion.

Rich

[edit]Also uploded them at

http://richlum.dmusic.com/music/

for those that can't access soundclick.

Only just discovered dmusic today but it seems pretty good

Sam C
03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
rich, i have never, ever been aboe to get a song on soundclick to play. i have no idea why but.........

if you have any other options i will take a listen.

Stringer
03-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Soundclick works here for me. "I Wanna Go Back" is not quite my cup of tea, although it conveys the feeling of words regreted after the fact pretty well. "Someday/Somewhere/Somehow" is a nice song, sort of the bare elements of a story that we can put our own reality to. To my ear it sounds like your guitar is a little out of tune, maybe the "b" string?

I actually liked the third one the best. It's a nice pop tune, very listenable.

John

richlum
03-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Sam - updated OP to include alternate music page

Thanks for listening Stringer.
I'll go back and listen to the guitar tuning and maybe re-record... although I usually lose momentum/enthusiasm for doing stuff like that once I move onto the next song (which I have already...)

The third song was done last year some time and not in Reaper... I was still using n-Track back then.
It is one of my favourite songs. One of those ones that just seemed to come together nicely and without realising or trying I ended up with a song that seemed to flow well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rich

Sam C
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
richlum, I Want to Go Back has a bit of 70's black sabbath feel. definitely has a mood to it.

good job.

edwardsforest
03-06-2007, 11:08 PM
whatd u use for drums?

richlum
03-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Jamstix for drums on both tracks.

Used the Yamaha Stage kit and replaced the snare with the 14" metal snare and tuned it up higher than default

HienTau
03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi richlum,

I'm a bit unsure about your new songs. The guitar in "I wanna go back" is pretty convincing. It is already chasing me ;)
On the other hand the singing somehow doesn't fit as much as it could. While the guitar is aggressive and straight forward, your voice stays rather calm, which leads to a slight contradiction in the song.
"SomedaySomewhereSomehow" is pretty nice. I like it as is.

In general guitar, drums and lyrics are excellent (although I also heard some strange notes, listen to 1.25 - 1.30 of "I wanna go back" to hear an example).
You could improve a bit on singing, I think. Your singing (at least from what I've heard) sounds a bit forced sometimes (though not in "Right Here Waiting", for example), which could mean that you're nervous or untrained or... (many reasons possible, actually)
If it's training: I've been in choir for some time and it helped me a lot (though I don't sing anymore) - But that doesn't mean that's your way, too.

Hope that helps. And keep up the good work! :)

HienTau

richlum
03-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks for listening.

Yeah I know my singing needs a lot of work.

I need to take some lessons PLUS need to practice a lot more.

I'm a guitarist mainly and am only singing cause I don't have anyone else to sing the songs :)

I write some other stuff with a friend (www.mp3.com.au/poppi) and she has a lot better voice than me :)

The songs on my page are pretty much the ones that I write that she doesn't like so I end up finishing them off myself :)

HienTau
03-12-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm a guitarist mainly and am only singing cause I don't have anyone else to sing the songs
That's "the curse of the guitarist" ;)

I write some other stuff with a friend (www.mp3.com.au/poppi) and she has a lot better voice than me
That's a great site. And yes, she really has a good voice :)

HienTau