PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass anyone ?

Wolffman
09-10-2010, 03:50 AM
Well not bluegrass in the traditional sense of the word, this is actually a song i've heard done by Newgrass Revival, an awesome accoustic/bluegrass style band. Sadly there no longer together, as far as i know anyway.

A friend has been coming over on a thursday night for the last few weeks and this is what we have so far, its still a work in progress as we want to get a friend to play banjo on it, as well as another high harmony, which will prolly be sung by my mates daughter.

I know there are a few timing issues here and there which we may have to retrack.
My mate is singing the main vocal part and the rest is me so far.

Your thoughts and feedback on any and all aspects of the recording and mix is greatly appreciated.

The song is called "Plant your fields"

http://www.box.net/shared/u1nx8eh0k6

Cheers

Nobus
09-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Can't really comment on the mix coz I'm listening to this at work through an ultra crappy mono headset. But the song is great, love the mandolin and your mate sings it really well.

kindafishy
09-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Wolffman. Bluegrass/country is not the first thing I reach for, but I do enjoy it when it is done well. This is definitely one that is done well.

All the playing is excellent and the vocals are outstanding. He has great control over his vibrato. Very tasteful.

I don't really have much in the way of critique. It sounds nicely balanced. It's clean and intimate, which is perfect for this song. Maybe the drums can be a little hotter. I like the sound of the brushes. If they were pushed up a touch, they might drive the rhythm a bit more and give that 'train clacking under my feet' kind of feel.

Everything sounds really good. Your instruments and the vocals were well recorded. Deep, rich and clear.

It's a good song all around as well. You're doing a great job on this one.

Mudcat
09-10-2010, 07:15 AM
This is a very nice performance. I really like what you are doing with this song.

I heard the timing issue you mentioned and wonder if you couldn't repair it with some digital editing in REAPER or perhaps as a punch-in? Seems a shame to scrap what is otherwise a really nice take.

Looking forward to hearing this with the additional harmony vocal and banjo. I think they will really fill things out nicely.

BTW - I used to see John Cowan from NGR when I would go jogging around Vanderbilt University in Nashville. I wish that band would get back together.

spikemullings
09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Love bluegrass, love this.

Great song, super authoritative voice which really suits it.

Nice mando playing and the guitar sounds really nicely recorded.

I hope you don't mind me saying that personally I would prefer to hear a string bass on this track so the bottom end is not so filled out.

Banjo will maybe give a little more rhythmical drive which will be good and looking to forward to hearing that and the higher voice.

Great stuff man.

WyattRice
09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Nice. Keep up the good work.
Regards, Wyatt

Wolffman
09-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Can't really comment on the mix coz I'm listening to this at work through an ultra crappy mono headset. But the song is great, love the mandolin and your mate sings it really well.

Well.. i guess an ultra crappy mono headset is the ultimate test for any mix :) if it sounded OK in there i'm more than happy.
Thanks for listening

Wolffman. Bluegrass/country is not the first thing I reach for, but I do enjoy it when it is done well. This is definitely one that is done well.

All the playing is excellent and the vocals are outstanding. He has great control over his vibrato. Very tasteful.

I don't really have much in the way of critique. It sounds nicely balanced. It's clean and intimate, which is perfect for this song. Maybe the drums can be a little hotter. I like the sound of the brushes. If they were pushed up a touch, they might drive the rhythm a bit more and give that 'train clacking under my feet' kind of feel.

Everything sounds really good. Your instruments and the vocals were well recorded. Deep, rich and clear.

It's a good song all around as well. You're doing a great job on this one.

Thanks for the feedback KF, its good to hear the mix is translating well on other systems, although its certain to change when the banjo and high harmony are recorded.
I'm keeping the drums down at the moment to play a very supportive roll but that could change after everything else is tracked.

Thanks again.

This is a very nice performance. I really like what you are doing with this song.

I heard the timing issue you mentioned and wonder if you couldn't repair it with some digital editing in REAPER or perhaps as a punch-in? Seems a shame to scrap what is otherwise a really nice take.

Looking forward to hearing this with the additional harmony vocal and banjo. I think they will really fill things out nicely.

BTW - I used to see John Cowan from NGR when I would go jogging around Vanderbilt University in Nashville. I wish that band would get back together.

Thanks Mudcat, yeah.. i'm going to see if i can fix the timing by editing if not i'll overdub the sections for sure.

Man, John Cowan is one of the best singers i,ve ever heard, he has such control over his voice it amazing and as far as wishing NGR would get back together... Amen to that brother :D

Thanks for listening

Love bluegrass, love this.

Great song, super authoritative voice which really suits it.

Nice mando playing and the guitar sounds really nicely recorded.

I hope you don't mind me saying that personally I would prefer to hear a string bass on this track so the bottom end is not so filled out.

Banjo will maybe give a little more rhythmical drive which will be good and looking to forward to hearing that and the higher voice.

Great stuff man.

Always welcome your critique Spike :)
not sure what you mean by string bass ? i used my Musicman sterling on this track, i don't have an acoustic bass sadly nor do i have access to one or i definatly would have tried it out.
All i can think of is to Hi-pass filter some of the lower freqs out, do you think taht would help ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Nice. Keep up the good work.
Regards, Wyatt

Wohaa.. i was wondering if you might listen to this, i take it i'm on the right track then ? :)

BTW I really like frostbite, Pallet on the floor ( i think thats what its called ) is one of my fav's

Thanks for listening Wyatt.

Cheers all

pw3
09-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow, Wolff, this is really good - I'd love to hear the high harmony. I agree with Spike that upright bass would help the authenticity a lot, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker. Very good work, thanks for sharing. :)

spikemullings
09-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Ash, have a look at this thread here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30933

I show with some examples how you can record an electric bass (with some understring muting like a cloth or something) and then feed that through a double bass impulse in ReaVerb to get a reasonable double bass type sound.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing at all worong per se with the bass you have. I just like the way that a trad bluegrass line up with stand up bass leaves lots of room for the instruments to weave in and out of.

Wolffman
09-11-2010, 02:06 AM
I just checked out the thread and that sounds very interesting, i'll give it a try when i get some time.

The other thing i just thought of is maybe using reatune to output the midi notes and then use a double bass sound from either Kontakt or Sampletank.

Using midi somehow doesn't seem right for bluegrass ;) but what the hell if it achieves a more traditional sound so be it. :)

Thanks for the heads up Spike.

Cheers

flatpickle
09-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Good job! It sounds really good. You pull off the vocals very well, the voice really reminds me of John Cowan. I hear the timing issues you mentioned, and I agree--I would probably want to record the offending track again.

Don't worry about the upright bass. Hot Rize and Newgrass Revival both used electric bass guitar for bluegrass, and it sounded great.

stratman
09-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Sounds good to me.

Great vocals.

Maybe the drums could come up a bit, like kindafishy said, and the track might benefit from acoustic bass, like Spike said. Not sure. I'd need to hear it because the track works as it is for me and I've got limited experience of this type of music.

Pete

Wolffman
09-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Don't worry about the upright bass. Hot Rize and Newgrass Revival both used electric bass guitar for bluegrass, and it sounded great.

Yeah... i had a play around with the method posted earlier in the thread but have decided to leave the bass as is, it just seems to work better for this song/version.

Thanks for listening.

Sounds good to me.

Great vocals.

Maybe the drums could come up a bit, like kindafishy said, and the track might benefit from acoustic bass, like Spike said. Not sure. I'd need to hear it because the track works as it is for me and I've got limited experience of this type of music.

Pete

Hi pete, i'm going to revisit the drums, and prolly the whole mix for that matter :) after we get the banjo and extra harmony recorded, theres a possibility of getting some fiddle as well which will be great but that will be a lot more sound to fit into the mix so i'm guessing quite a lot might change.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

plgrmsprgrs
09-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Wolffman - great stuff here. Really. Mandolins always melt my butter anyway. I'm on my third listen as I type. Can't wait to hear this with the banjo rhythm like Spike said.

Kyle

sammydix
09-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Never heard of Newgrass Revival, but good songwriting is good songwriting, no matter the genre. I can see why you chose this particular song to remake even w/o hearing the original.