View Full Version : Critic my mix/composition please

STAL
09-12-2010, 06:35 AM
It's an instrumental version of Time to say goodbye
here's a link
http://uploading.com/files/b84m37m4/Time%2Bto%2Bsay%2Bgoodbye.mp3/

camerondye
09-12-2010, 07:28 AM
You need to put this on a legitimate server like box.net or something because the player that came up on this song tried to give me a virus...not cool.

STAL
09-12-2010, 07:37 AM
You need to put this on a legitimate server like box.net or something because the player that came up on this song tried to give me a virus...not cool.

What player ? Don't promote you're crappy services in my thread noob !

Tedwood
09-12-2010, 08:06 AM
You are over-reacting STAL

I'm sure camorondye is doing nothing of the sort.

box.net is a very popular upload site and he was only trying to be helpful.

STAL
09-12-2010, 08:10 AM
You are over-reacting STAL

I'm sure camorondye is doing nothing of the sort.

box.net is a very popular upload site and he was only trying to be helpful.

yeah the thing is that there's no player at the site at all it's just a storage site - you can download something but not play it

camerondye
09-12-2010, 09:13 AM
It took me to some megaupload player thing and when I clicked on it bitdefender blocked a virus. Saying I own box.net is fucking ridiculous.
cam

dcuny
09-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Initial thoughts on listening: it's buried in reverb. That's bad, because it creates a wall of sound effect, and sounds like you're trying to hide a bad mix. Even though you've split the instruments between the speakers, the reverb chokes everything in a huge mass of goo.

The strings lag a bit - again, reverb is to blame. It also ruins the sound of the lead violin, making it sound more like a synth.

The lead guitar is too far back, in my opinion. I thought it had too much fuzz.

Thoughts after second listening: The strings aren't as quite as bad as I thought, nor the guitar level. But the lead violin still fails to convince.

You've still got a huge sound, but it's defined by the reverb - not by the instruments. So (in general) it sounds "fake" because it doesn't sound like listening to instruments in a "real" environment.

Other than that, it sounds good.

STAL
09-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Initial thoughts on listening: it's buried in reverb. That's bad, because it creates a wall of sound effect, and sounds like you're trying to hide a bad mix. Even though you've split the instruments between the speakers, the reverb chokes everything in a huge mass of goo.

The strings lag a bit - again, reverb is to blame. It also ruins the sound of the lead violin, making it sound more like a synth.

The lead guitar is too far back, in my opinion. I thought it had too much fuzz.

Thoughts after second listening: The strings aren't as quite as bad as I thought, nor the guitar level. But the lead violin still fails to convince.

You've still got a huge sound, but it's defined by the reverb - not by the instruments. So (in general) it sounds "fake" because it doesn't sound like listening to instruments in a "real" environment.

Other than that, it sounds good.

Well it is fake =D How would you get the "big sound" except with reverb ? I made the guitar level so in the back ground because it really sticks out if it's louder - way too dominant compared to the violin.
You mentioned the strings - which ones ? The main, the staccato or the pizzicato ideas?
Also thanks for the response!!

dcuny
09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
When I listen to an orchestration that sounds "real", I'm often convinced that there's a physical room that the orchestra was in. That is, I get the impression that someone stuck a microphone in front of a group, and recorded it.

The further you get from that point, the more problems I've got believing that what I'm hearing is "real".

The opening does a good job of giving the impression of a "real" orchestra. Problems start for me at 0:18, where the high strings take the theme. There's something about them that doesn't click. There's a similar problem at 0:26 with the woodwinds, although I can't exactly describe why. It sounds sort of like a single patch trying to emulate a section. and not quite pulling it off.

Then the violin comes in on the rising figure, and that part just sounds fake. I'll gladly agree that a solo violin can be quite difficult to emulate. I'd expect the violin to be more out front, but it sounds buried in the reverb, and the tone is sour - a bit off-key or something. It sounds more like someone playing a keyboard than a violinist bowing an instrument.

But much of the sound in quite good. For example, the lower massed strings work well, as do most of the other instruments. I like the choir at 2:17, for example. Perhaps not entirely convincing, but nice. But when it comes in at 3:06, it's more obviously fake because there's more time to hear it.

I've got mixed feelings about the percussion - they don't quite sit right in the mix.

With a lot of orchestral instruments, the reverb is integral to our expectations of the sound. So you need reverb. But the more you add, the less clarity you have.

As to your question: you don't get a "big sound" with reverb, you get a "big room" sound with reverb. With the lead violin, you want it more in front, but adding reverb pulls it further back into the mix, which is exactly the opposite of what you want.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

STAL
09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
When I listen to an orchestration that sounds "real", I'm often convinced that there's a physical room that the orchestra was in. That is, I get the impression that someone stuck a microphone in front of a group, and recorded it.

The further you get from that point, the more problems I've got believing that what I'm hearing is "real".

The opening does a good job of giving the impression of a "real" orchestra. Problems start for me at 0:18, where the high strings take the theme. There's something about them that doesn't click. There's a similar problem at 0:26 with the woodwinds, although I can't exactly describe why. It sounds sort of like a single patch trying to emulate a section. and not quite pulling it off.

Then the violin comes in on the rising figure, and that part just sounds fake. I'll gladly agree that a solo violin can be quite difficult to emulate. I'd expect the violin to be more out front, but it sounds buried in the reverb, and the tone is sour - a bit off-key or something. It sounds more like someone playing a keyboard than a violinist bowing an instrument.

But much of the sound in quite good. For example, the lower massed strings work well, as do most of the other instruments. I like the choir at 2:17, for example. Perhaps not entirely convincing, but nice. But when it comes in at 3:06, it's more obviously fake because there's more time to hear it.

I've got mixed feelings about the percussion - they don't quite sit right in the mix.

With a lot of orchestral instruments, the reverb is integral to our expectations of the sound. So you need reverb. But the more you add, the less clarity you have.

As to your question: you don't get a "big sound" with reverb, you get a "big room" sound with reverb. With the lead violin, you want it more in front, but adding reverb pulls it further back into the mix, which is exactly the opposite of what you want.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Hehe dude you're awesome !
Actually it's brass not woodwind but you're right that's a single line and I play it as a section
I've been noodling this track for more than a month now
Here's what I uploaded to youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=issuLDqmJsg
The violin is a vibrato violin - I wanted to make it stand out from the main strings.
As for the choir - I'm completely new to that and still just experimenting with it

Sigilus
09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree with the other comments.

I am certainly the pot calling the kettle black because my mixes (and more truly, my playing) suck.

However, I definitely think that this could benefit from Room-ness. You can add depth to your sampled instruments with reverb, EQ, and some panning. I think the instruments sound too close, too unconvincingly close. Your guitar sounds in the room. But the violin sounds like someone is playing in my face. Set it back in with the rest of the orchestra. And try to roll off the edges where the samples end, it becomes apparent when the sound abruptly cuts off.

To really highlight what I'm saying, consider how far back the drums sound (as they should, at the back of the orchestra) compared with the guitar, and the strings - make these sound like they're all in the same room, and you'll be set imo.

STAL
09-13-2010, 02:25 AM
I agree with the other comments.

I am certainly the pot calling the kettle black because my mixes (and more truly, my playing) suck.

However, I definitely think that this could benefit from Room-ness. You can add depth to your sampled instruments with reverb, EQ, and some panning. I think the instruments sound too close, too unconvincingly close. Your guitar sounds in the room. But the violin sounds like someone is playing in my face. Set it back in with the rest of the orchestra. And try to roll off the edges where the samples end, it becomes apparent when the sound abruptly cuts off.

To really highlight what I'm saying, consider how far back the drums sound (as they should, at the back of the orchestra) compared with the guitar, and the strings - make these sound like they're all in the same room, and you'll be set imo.

Hey I'm confused...
The other comment was that I have too much reverb and the instruments are drowning in it. Are you referring to the youtube version or the mp3 version ?