PDA

View Full Version : Light Of Day--instrumental

scottedog
09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Not finished with this yet, I still need to adjust some levels
but I thought I'd post it to get some thoughts/opinions/ideas.

Drums-BFD2
Bass-K4
Strings-EWQLSO Gold XP
Horns-K4
Gtr-Strat->Tiny Terror->Rode NTK->UA 610

Light Of Day--->

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5285990

:)

zoso2
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
i'm really digging this tune. Great guitar tone. what cab are you using with the Tiny Terror? i actually bought one just yesterday with a Marshall 1974CX cab.

scottedog
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Thx zoso,

I'm using the Orange 1x12 with a v30. I'm curious to try other cabs though.

zoso2
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Thx zoso,

I'm using the Orange 1x12 with a v30. I'm curious to try other cabs though.

the Mesa cab i tried it out with at the store sounded awesome. but i couldn't pass up the marshall cab which usually sells for about $900, it's hand made with an aged celestion greenback in it, and i got it for $270! have you experimented with different tubes at all?

scottedog
09-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I haven't actually. Yet. ;)

Gets a really nice tone out of the box.

Mudcat
09-14-2010, 01:31 PM
This is a really cool tune. Overall I like the mix but I can see where you will want to refine it a bit. Don't kill the dynamics though. The dynamic changes really make this sound great.

My only constructive criticism is that in some portions of the arrangement the sidestick on the drums is too prominent. I think what I'm hearing is related more to the velocity of the note in the sequence than to the audio level of the sidestick in the mix.

I like this.

scottedog
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Cool, thx Mudcat, I'll have a closer listen to the snare.
It's my first real crack at mixing drums with such a wide range in dynamics, not easy keeping all the nuances heard.

scottedog
09-15-2010, 07:24 PM
A few more edits and another mix later...

http://www.box.net/shared/9dfd4jispz

Closer?

Mudcat
09-16-2010, 06:32 AM
This is really cool. Excellent use of dynamics as I noted in my earlier post.

Have you considered placing the strings in a larger space? Sounds great like it is but as I listen to it I find myself wondering what it would sound like with the strings set in a larger hall or plate reverb setting.

Sounds great - Great performance! Like the tune & arrangement!

scottedog
09-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Funny you mention it, I keep swapping back and forth with the reverb on the strings.
If I get time tonight I'll do another mix & post it.

...and thanks for the input. :)

Sheppola
09-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Great tune.Great guitars sounds and recording but the drum sound doesn't work for me.It's too ,"Modern" studio compressed which is great for rock and metal but lacks the acoustic kit sound and feel this song deserves.

Check out the sounds on these two tracks using Jamstix,

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2904782

Reverbnation is a bit slow ATM for me but that could just be the Net pipeline from the US.

Rendered @ 128K ABR.

kindafishy
09-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I really like this tune. Very dramatic and soulful. Great, tasteful playing and really nice tone. Many tasty licks.

pcmalle
09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi Scott

Really like your tune and your guitar playing.

I think I can hear the influence of Mark Knopfler, Carlos Santana, Gary Moore, and Joe Satriani, correct me if Iím wrong.
In some parts of the tune I can hear a little (off beat/MIDI synchronization) problem or is it just me?

/Malle

scottedog
09-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Great tune.Great guitars sounds and recording but the drum sound doesn't work for me.It's too ,"Modern" studio compressed which is great for rock and metal but lacks the acoustic kit sound and feel this song deserves.

Thx Sheppola. I'm not really a fan of the sounds in either JS2 or 3, maybe it's the lack of velocity layers? I dunno. I do hear what you mean though so I tried some different compression on the kick & snare. Sometimes the kick hits at full velocity & has a bit of a click that I might edit out.

I really like this tune. Very dramatic and soulful. Great, tasteful playing and really nice tone. Many tasty licks.

Thx KF, it's not very often I get accused of being soulful so I'll take it! :D

Hi Scott

Really like your tune and your guitar playing.

I think I can hear the influence of Mark Knopfler, Carlos Santana, Gary Moore, and Joe Satriani, correct me if Iím wrong.
In some parts of the tune I can hear a little (off beat/MIDI synchronization) problem or is it just me?

/Malle

Thanks, definitely Mark, Carlos & Joe but not so much Mr. Moore. :)
I just actually did some edits on the drum and caught a few timing mistakes. Hopefully all.

The first post is updated or here is the new mix. (Changed the reverb on the orchestra, thx Mudcat.)

http://www.box.net/shared/l9792a99f6

zoso2
09-17-2010, 05:14 PM
this tune is so fucking good man. mix 3 sounds great to me

ScalerWave
09-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Listened to the last mix. It's getting there.

The kick sound a bit muddy. This mix in the busy parts like around 4:00 is a bit muddy too and could use a touch of clarity. Snare sounds crisp in parts and dull in others. Same with the toms.

The lead guitar tone is smokin. It seems to over powers the mix.

The accompanying guitar part on the right sounds a little thin. Especially compared to the lead tone.

Awesome composition. Very tasty.

scottedog
09-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions & comments guys. I've changed up the kick but that's about it. Barring something awful sounding I have to abandon this one now or I'll be stuck picking away at it forever. ;)

On my RN page now...

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5285990

btw, if I posted this on the DUC it would just be ignored, no comments or suggestions. Not that it needs to be said but this really is the best forum. :)

flatpickle
09-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Great song, great performance, great mix.

flatpickle
09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh, what's the DUC?

scottedog
09-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Digidesign User Conference.

Should have said Lame DUC. ;)

...and thanks!

Wolffman
09-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Fantastic arrangement, you guys that have the ability to hear all those different parts and layers of sounds just spin me out :D

I love the harmony guitar parts, did you play them or is that production trickery ?

Those tiny terrors do sound good, does it have good clean sounds and plenty of clean volume or does it break up early ?

Great stuff Scott

Cheers

scottedog
09-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Fantastic arrangement, you guys that have the ability to hear all those different parts and layers of sounds just spin me out :D

I love the harmony guitar parts, did you play them or is that production trickery ?

Those tiny terrors do sound good, does it have good clean sounds and plenty of clean volume or does it break up early ?

Great stuff Scott

Cheers

Thanks Wolffman.

No trickery other than some minor time aligning. It does do clean pretty well to a point. I put a Boss GE7 graphic eq on it and cut some mids for clean tones but it does break up a bit. I hear the new 30W Tiny Terrors have better cleans because of the extended headroom. Ah, there's always a new toy on the horizon eh? :D

Mudcat
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Just now getting a chance to hear the final mix.

STELLAR!!!!

scottedog
09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks Mudcat!

...but only with a little help from my friends. :)

SteveMac
09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
. . .and the only thing I would add to the above comments is a purely stylistic one <G>.

I think the song might benefit if some of the lead lines (lower register, early in the song) don't have quite the strong transient as later, so that the lines flow a bit more, and then gather strength with stronger initial picking as the song progresses.

Just a thought. . .might sound like crud when actually tried! <G>

Great job.

spikemullings
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Sorry man, I am well late in on this, having been away for bit.

Sounds fantastic! Great dynamic shifts, superstar playing and lots to keep the interest.

I kept thinking Tom Waits would come in with a mumbled line or two (or even Mark Knopfler - didn't Dire Straits do some number about a private detective with MK muttering away in geordie? erm I digress)

The only bit that didn't chime with me was the first major key section where the acoustic doubled the electric. That's just me though. I am such a miserable bastard that major keys do my head in anyway ;)

How are you recording the acoustic?

scottedog
09-22-2010, 06:00 PM
. . .and the only thing I would add to the above comments is a purely stylistic one <G>.

I think the song might benefit if some of the lead lines (lower register, early in the song) don't have quite the strong transient as later, so that the lines flow a bit more, and then gather strength with stronger initial picking as the song progresses.

Just a thought. . .might sound like crud when actually tried! <G>

Great job.

Thanks Steve, the first parts are actually played without a pick a la Beck/Knopfler so maybe I'm popping the strings a bit more.

Sorry man, I am well late in on this, having been away for bit.

Sounds fantastic! Great dynamic shifts, superstar playing and lots to keep the interest.

I kept thinking Tom Waits would come in with a mumbled line or two (or even Mark Knopfler - didn't Dire Straits do some number about a private detective with MK muttering away in geordie? erm I digress)

The only bit that didn't chime with me was the first major key section where the acoustic doubled the electric. That's just me though. I am such a miserable bastard that major keys do my head in anyway ;)

How are you recording the acoustic?

I'd be a happy guy if Mr. Knopfler would grace this with some mumbling! :)

It always amazed me that the Beatles did so much with majors keys, I'm with you on that one.

The acoustic was the NTK as well. I initially just used it for a rough track because it was handy but liked it enough to keep it.

Thanks for chiming in, Spike!

brelic
09-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Awesome tune! Great arrangement and solid melody.

Only one comment:

The first time the lead comes in (0:18), seems a little too hot compared to the rhythm section.

Other than that, sounds pretty sweet!

mtsproductions
09-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Great guitar playing and overall good mix, I would like to comment on the composition if I may.

I can tell you are not a keyboard player so some of the strings sound a bit flat and with no life to them, if you are using K4 stock library strings then you should utilize the key switching for more of an authentic string sound, if you are just using the legato articulation the whole time its sounds flat and very unexpressive, also some more reverb on the strings would be beneficial you can utilize the built in reverb in K4. Your guitar sound is fantastic I love that tone and all the licks but when the string solo comes in it needs to be more expressive and actually I think the strings solo and the violin solo just dont fit in IMHO. On the technical side there are some timing issues that I can hear that you might want to address. Constructive critisism here, honestly its a great tune and this is just my opinion from my perspective as a keyboard player.

Makes me think hmmmm "Dire Straits" :)

spikemullings
09-23-2010, 07:10 AM
liked it enough to keep it.

Not surprised - sounds peachy!

Are you really rocking the features of that 610 or are you just getting the pre-amp character?

I only my have my humble alesis interface so I'm always keen (if slightly baffled :o ) to know what people are doing with pres and channel strips and stuff.

Serenitynow
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice job - sounds great!

Arnar
09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Nice listen ...thanks..Yes, Dire Straits.

I played it on loop now 3 times or so....That means it's quite listenable in my books :)

stratman
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Very nice. I like the playing and the composition.

Pete

scottedog
09-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Not surprised - sounds peachy!

Are you really rocking the features of that 610 or are you just getting the pre-amp character?

Really just cranked the gain to get some tube saturation out of it, Spike. The NTK is a tube mic also so loads of tubie goodness! Probably too much but what the hell. :)

Nice job - sounds great!

Nice listen ...thanks..Yes, Dire Straits.

I played it on loop now 3 times or so....That means it's quite listenable in my books :)

Very nice. I like the playing and the composition.

Pete

Thanks very much guys, really appreciated.

Great guitar playing and overall good mix, I would like to comment on the composition if I may.

I can tell you are not a keyboard player so some of the strings sound a bit flat and with no life to them, if you are using K4 stock library strings then you should utilize the key switching for more of an authentic string sound, if you are just using the legato articulation the whole time its sounds flat and very unexpressive, also some more reverb on the strings would be beneficial you can utilize the built in reverb in K4. Your guitar sound is fantastic I love that tone and all the licks but when the string solo comes in it needs to be more expressive and actually I think the strings solo and the violin solo just dont fit in IMHO. On the technical side there are some timing issues that I can hear that you might want to address. Constructive critisism here, honestly its a great tune and this is just my opinion from my perspective as a keyboard player.

Makes me think hmmmm "Dire Straits" :)

Admittedly I'm a hack on a keyboard. I did actually use the keyswitching and reverb in K4 but the solo violin is from EWQLSO and I definitely struggle with it a bit more. I need to do a total orchestral piece with it and really dig in to learn it better.

I might revisit this one someday to touch it up but I can only spend so much time on one tune before I have to let the other ones in my head out.
Thanks for the comments! :)