PDA

View Full Version : Old Tunes

sammydix
09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Been a while (for those who even know who sammydix is) and I really don't have anything new, but by accident, i ran across a site from the bassist of one of my old bands. Heard some tunes I haven't heard in years...back in my "rebellious" rock days. Warning, their pretty badly recorded, but thought for anyone interested it might be a curious listen. The band was Aphrodisiac. There are 4 tunes--the first three I wrote, and the last, Gloomy Daze, was written by the bassist, Demetrius Hill. I'm all the vox and the rhythm guitar, NOT the shredder!

http://www.macjams.com/artist/Aphrodisiac#bio

kindafishy
09-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Sammy, these tunes seriously rock. This sounds like a band that would have been so cool to see in a club around that time. I imagine that you were generating a nice following. The recordings are what they are, but it is easy to hear that the songwriting is killer and the musicianship is excellent.

...well, to be a little critical, I must say that the drums on three of the tunes are much better than the other, but like you bass player said, he was new, right?

That guitar player - holy shit!

It's cool to hear the juxtaposition of songs that are grungy/stoner/riffy against that kind of virtuoso guitar.

I'll definitely be going back and listening to these tunes again.

I wonder how much they could be cleaned up in REAPER if you could get a hold of the original 4-tracks (4 or 8?).

Whammy bar!

Thanks for sharing, Sammy. It's really cool to hear this kind of raw stuff that used the technology of the day just to get it on tape in one take rather than having all the luxuries we have now.

zoso2
09-14-2010, 10:45 AM
these songs are great! the recordings aren't the worst i've ever heard.

sammydix
09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Appreciate you taking the time to drop over for a listen, fellas.

Yeah, Kevin, we were gettin a pretty good following. We did a few local radio shows to kinda help spread tha word too. But the music chemestry couldn't outshine the personalities. Demetruis was bossy and demanding (untactfully so), I was stubborn and hard-headed not wanting anybody to tell me what to do, Shawn smoked up the damned rehearsals with cigarette after cigarette (Lol at myself thinkin about it). But Shawn's main thing was that he ALWAYS TOO LOUD!!! 100%! NOBODY could hear themselves...EVER! Fuckin 11 setting. And Terry, the drummer was the smart one: wouldn't take sides and just did his thang. Everybody loves the drummer. Why is that?
Demetrius scared the 1st drummer away, seems the guy didn't like his drumming orchestrated by a bass player. Wasn't a bad thang, tho. Terry was the keeper (even if fire, then rehired).

Good ol' 4-trk Fostex. Jus plug in an play. Put some backing vocs on later, and instant recording. Actually, the modern technology was there, but we were just four broke black dudes and that's all we could afford.

Oh, Kevin. there's a download "symbol" on the right under "Song actions"

Sheppola
09-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Some good stuff on there Sammy :)

sammydix
09-15-2010, 03:28 PM
thnx, Shep. Good to hear from you, man. I'm gonna give remixing those nearly mono recordings to make them sound a little better. Each one has different "weaknesses" sound-wise (like that War song is more trebly than the others). I could seriously use your suggestion of what frequencies sound lacking and which over dominating on each--just something to help me get a start . I'll pm ya.

ScalerWave
09-15-2010, 03:46 PM
What year were these done? Has a 70's feel... a bit Cream-esque in places.

Would be cool to hear these redone in Reaper.

Any chances of that happening?

Where were they recorded and on what?

sammydix
09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Thnx, SW. That's exactly what I'm doing now in Reaper. They were recorded on a 4-trk Fostex around '98, I think, in the bass player's basement. We were muscians and didn't know squat about recording or mixing (Surprise!). I've already pm'd ya.

ScalerWave
09-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Thnx, SW. That's exactly what I'm doing now in Reaper. They were recorded on a 4-trk Fostex around '98, I think, in the bass player's basement. We were muscians and didn't know squat about recording or mixing (Surprise!). I've already pm'd ya.

heh heh 4-trk Fostex... I remember those days.

Not too bad considering what was used.

Will be interesting to hear your new versions.

ScalerWave
09-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Here's some "Redeeming Hand" that I reworked a bit:

http://www.box.net/shared/t7qt6tf3lk

Little compression and eq added...

Re-tracked the bassline and also dubbed in some kick and snare.

Some timing issues with the snare still.

sammydix
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
HOLY SHIT!!! Fantastic, SW! I can't even BEGIN to compete with that! I give up...GLADLY heard the snare thing, tho...

ScalerWave
09-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm still tightening the snare hits.

I'll try to add the tom rolls and some Hhat and post another version tomorrow.

You'll have to to the vocals though lol.

Maybe someone here could re-track that guitar.

sammydix
09-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Take your time, man. I appreciate just that one tune. How the HELL did you get D's bass to sound like that based on what you were working with?

Gotta get in touch with D and Shawn and let them hear this! Got old information, tho.

Oh, it's ok if you wanna re-dub the vox! ;]

ScalerWave
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I just re-recorded the whole bass line and mixed it in. Used Pod Farm to try and match his tone.

Same with the snare and kick. It's the Cakewalk TTS synth plug.

:D nah you should re-track the vox.

kindafishy
09-16-2010, 04:37 AM
ScalarWave, that overdubbed bass makes a big difference. Very cool, man.

ScalerWave
09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
ScalarWave, that overdubbed bass makes a big difference. Very cool, man.

Sort of breathes new life into it. Good thing the vocals were nice and clear.

Think you could re-record the guitar parts?

kindafishy
09-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Sort of breathes new life into it. Good thing the vocals were nice and clear.

Think you could re-record the guitar parts?

Ha ha. I certainly couldn't play those guitar parts. My fingers won't do the widdly-widdly. I can't play technically very well, I have more of a sloppy, unpracticed, undisciplined and mistake-filled, hack-wanna-be-player kind of vibe going on.

That being said, I wouldn't mind adding my own interpretation, because the song is wicked and those riffs are right up my alley. The other wrench though is that I wouldn't be able to get to it for at least a week or so because of other non-music related commitments that I have coming up.

All hinges on what Sam thinks of any of that though. Someone else is likely to jump in before I can get to it however...

sammydix
09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I like the song as is, compared to the original, but if someone could do the guitars, I'm wide open.

ScalerWave
09-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Here's tonight's version of "Redeeming Hand"

http://www.box.net/shared/06smqjo800

Tightened up the snare hits a bit more (still not perfect though), dubbed in the HHat, and changed the kick/snare samples to something that sounds a little more realistic.

Too bad the live version is so distorted.

sammydix
09-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Ok, SW. No prob, no hurry. Going for a listen now.

Much tighter. Gotta say, tho, I kinda liked the SOUND of the first drums more.

...Didn't say why--the first had more of the original rawness, but with better quality.