PDA

View Full Version : We Got To Get Out of This Place

ringing phone
09-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Just looking for constructive criticism of this cover of the Animals song.

There's no vocals on it yet. I know it's not brilliant. What are the main things wrong with it?

Don't be afraid to be brutal

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=355705&content=music

thanks

Sheppola
09-26-2010, 03:05 AM
Eric Burdon.One of the singularly underrated white soul singers of any generation and the,"Animals" one of the best and most inventive bands ever.

For your recording I wouldn't try to emulate the old conventions of recording for those days whereby they had drums on one side.They only did this because of their recording limitations.Make the track your own.Bring the drums into the centre.Pick a more forceful or sonically interesting bass sound.
Don't try and emulate too much.Use the original as a template,not a bible.If something occurs to you that could be added to enhance the original then use it.
Very hard to add more until there's vocals in it.

My 10 penn'th.

HTH :)

PS
On a personal note my Mother met Eric Burdon when I was a kid and got me his autograph,yeh I'm that old and said he was a real Gentleman<grin> :)

ringing phone
09-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Something happened with the stereo spread...it's sent the drums all over the shop...I'm fixing that now.

As for the bass sound...my bass sound synth options are woeful

In general, I tried to copy the original as much as I could. The recording I used of the original is in stereo...but it's drums are down the centre. The snare anyway. My snare has been pushed over to the left by some plugin.

thanks again...yeah it'll take a great vocal...it's tough to sing. Glad I wont be doing it

Sheppola
09-26-2010, 03:29 AM
If you are looking for a bass for recording I can thoroughly recommend the much underrated Yamaha rbx170.Mine was second hand for 40 beer tokens.

I bought it after hearing this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF3glc2eML0

Synth bass has it's place but a real bass makes all the difference.

ringing phone
09-26-2010, 03:53 AM
For sure...I have a Squire bass at home...it doesn't matter what anyone says...synth bass at least 5 or 6 times out of ten doesn't sound good. I tried and tried to make my synth bass sound like Chas Chandler but had to settle for that droning blop I ended up with. I just centred the snare at least so I'm gonna post that up.

Anyway...does it sound like a song even? My ears are pretty shot with this

Sheppola
09-26-2010, 04:57 AM
For sure...I have a Squire bass at home...it doesn't matter what anyone says...synth bass at least 5 or 6 times out of ten doesn't sound good. I tried and tried to make my synth bass sound like Chas Chandler but had to settle for that droning blop I ended up with. I just centred the snare at least so I'm gonna post that up.

Anyway...does it sound like a song even? My ears are pretty shot with this

Yes it sounds like song.I recognized it even without the title :)

Take a break from time to time.

ringing phone
09-26-2010, 06:24 AM
I spose even with an average synth bass you can get that riff.

Thanks for the comments :)