PDA

View Full Version : Fender ASIO driver in 64-bit Reaper

bvee
11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi

I've just purchased a Fender Mustang 1 amp and I am trying to use its USB interface to record into Reaper.

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM and have installed the Fender ASIO driver. Using this I can record into the 32-bit version of Reaper, but if I then try the 64-bit Reaper it just crashes.

Any ideas? Happy running the 32-bit version for now as I won't have a need for loads of memory for a while yet, but I'd be interested to know how I can get it working. Does the problem lie with Reaper or with the ASIO driver?

Cheers!

JGrabowMST
11-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Are the Fender amp drivers 64 bit?

That would explain everything.

I have x64 Reaper running with 0 problems on this end, similar specs to you (8gb RAM, i have Intel Quad Core).

Ollie
11-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the forums!

"Fender ASIO driver"...now I've really seen it all, also a good stand in for the 'Grundig Superhüpf 2000' time travel device I expected from "the future". :)

It looks very much like the amp uses the same standard compliant (non-ASIO) USB interface like the other small amps with USB output, but they deliver it with a "Fender 2.10F" re-badged ASIO4ALL driver wrapper. Good idea so far, but that makes it depending on your sound card.

- What is your sound card and do you have working 64-bit drivers for that?

Have you seen this http://fender.com/support/article.php?kb_id=151 site? Can you post a screenshot of your Fender driver window?

bvee
11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi all, and thanks for your responses!

With that little tidbit about ASIO4ALL I downloaded their own current version and it works! I guess it's possible that the Fender version is only 32-bit for some reason.

But the actual ASIO4ALL file is working fine and the recording quality is crystal clear! Now I've just got to come up with something decent to record!! :o)

Cheers!

pipelineaudio
03-19-2013, 12:38 AM
I cant get windows to see my mustang. Is there a trick to it?

mykrobinson
04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Got a friend with the Mustang Floorboard with similar issues. Just wanting to subscribe to this thread in case anyone figures it out. May try removing the fender driver and just using asio4all

Hinfance
08-09-2014, 05:45 AM
I have a Mustang 3, mk1. The Fender ASIO driver doesn't work for me in either 32 or 64 bit versions of Reaper. In 32 bit the Fender ASIO driver configuration window can be accessed and the input and outputs set as per this Fender help page: http://www.fender.com/support/articles/record-audio-from-a-fender-fuse-compatible-amp-or-device-directly-into-a-computer/ . However, having switched everything on the options in the Reaper ASIO preferences page are all 'not connected' with no other options. In 64 bit Reaper the ASIO configuration dialogue simply causes a crash.

In addition the ASIO 4All driver only works as in input option in the 64 bit version. In all cases I cannot get any output through the headphones plugged into the Mustang. This is because the amps do not support any output from the DAW. Which then leads me to how do I monitor what I am recording?

Things are no better in Cubase 64 bit - in fact worse, as even the ASIO 4ALL driver does not pick up the presence of the Mustang. I'm just installing the 32 version now so I can see what happens in that - I'm asking for suggestions on their forums too. The Fender forums seem to have little to help.

whiteaxxxe
08-09-2014, 12:36 PM
startocaster, telecaster, asio-driver ... dont they ever get anything right?

:-))

Hinfance
08-09-2014, 11:34 PM
startocaster, telecaster, asio-driver ... dont they ever get anything right?

:-))

Well, Fender do say that they only support interface with Ableton. But Ableton, despite being a favourite with the DJs, is even harder to work with than Cubase so I gave up on it. And have you seen how much it costs to upgrade from the almost useless lite version?

The Mustang modelling amps are simply brilliant - miles better than the competition IMHO, and you get a Fender version of Amplitube 3 with them. As for the guitars; my favourite is my Epi Les Paul Prophesy, but my second favourite is my Wilkinson equipped Strat. Horses for courses.

I've decided to upgrade my Mustang to a mk 2 and use the balanced DIs for recording. A good excuse to go shopping - yeah!

corazon
08-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Good to see the Mustangs being enjoyed. I use mine
in Reaper with linux, and with Headcase on xp. Never had a problem
with the asio. Brilliant devices, way underpriced,
for the quality of sound you can make!

I'm pretty sure Fender reps have never stated or implied that you can
only use Ableton with their products. I spent a lot of time on their forum,
when Mustangs were released.
Cheers

Hinfance
08-15-2014, 10:29 PM
The Fender tech pages definitely state that their ASIO is only designed to work with Ableton. I think the problem may be with 64 bit OS.

Never mind though - it's a good excuse to trade up to a Mustang Mk2 and use the balanced DI outs for recording instead :)

Ollie
08-15-2014, 11:14 PM
64 bit shouldn't be the issue.

In 32 bit the Fender ASIO driver configuration window can be accessed and the input and outputs set as per this Fender help page: http://www.fender.com/support/articles/record-audio-from-a-fender-fuse-compatible-amp-or-device-directly-into-a-computer/ . However, having switched everything on the options in the Reaper ASIO preferences page are all 'not connected' with no other options. In 64 bit Reaper the ASIO configuration dialogue simply causes a crash.

"Not connected" means that REAPER doesn't get working outputs from the "driver". The "ASIO configuration" button in REAPER just tries to open the driver control panel, which can be also accessed by clicking the ASIO4ALL icon in the system tray.

In addition the ASIO 4All driver only works as in input option in the 64 bit version. In all cases I cannot get any output through the headphones plugged into the Mustang. This is because the amps do not support any output from the DAW. Which then leads me to how do I monitor what I am recording?

Like I said above many moons ago, the "Fender ASIO driver" is obviously a re-badged ASIO4ALL 2.10. That means it tries to combine the input from the Fender amp with the output of your onboard soundchip or audio interface to act like a single (ASIO) device.

This in turn means that you - just like any other ASIO4ALL user - may need to play with the advanced settings on the ASIO4ALL/"Fender ASIO driver" panel to get the output side running, with the little twist that a few chips/devices don't work very well or not at all with ASIO4ALL, also depending on their drivers (since ASIO4ALL/the "Fender driver" is not actually a driver, it "wraps" existing WDM drivers).

Also, any other application using audio (including web browsers) may "steal" the output device from ASIO4ALL. So anything else that could use audio should be closed before starting REAPER/ASIO.

Hinfance
08-28-2014, 06:28 AM
And just bought a Mustang 3 V2. DI outs, problem solved.