PDA

View Full Version : Reaper recorded punk!

likenokevin
12-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Check out one of the tunes my band did this past summer in Reaper!

http://soundcloud.com/like-no-tomorrow/kamikaze-girl

Mix critiques welcome! Thanks.

Sergenious
12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Maybe a little too thin vocals regarding to the warm, deep and full guitars. Otherwise very solid.

But, the same as for other multi-guitar songs from other musicians: please try to align left and right guitars. That time difference is quite distracting for me. But this is my personal opinion only and I'm not always right :)

Sheppola
12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Good bit of power punk.Mix is fine IMHO.Maybe a bit more clarity would help but that means more EQ and level work.

I've found this a useful resource,

http://www.benvesco.com/blog/mixing/

likenokevin
12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

kindafishy
12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Really takes me back to the mid 80's. Thanks for that!

What you can do with this mix depends on how you want it to sound. If you want it to sound like a raw club or rehearsal space type recording, which is not atypical of a lot of the mid 80's punk stuff, then it's good as is because it has that awesome vibe to it.

If you do want some more clarity to let the vocals through a bit more, you can start by taking a look at the lower registers of the guitars and either apply a low shelf or additional high pass until they blend into the mix a little more. Right now, they stand out as being low-mid heavy by a little bit. Do this with the full mix playing, never in isolation.

There's also a lead line on a guitar that doesn't quite sit right. It might need the same thing and pulling it down by a dB or two would help as well.

Thanks for sharing.

scottedog
12-07-2010, 08:01 AM
But, the same as for other multi-guitar songs from other musicians: please try to align left and right guitars. That time difference is quite distracting for me. But this is my personal opinion only and I'm not always right :)

I kind of have to agree with this one, I think you'd be better off double tracking the gtrs and panning them hard. Or if you want it raw then just go mono. The pseudo-stereo thing doesn't work in this tune for me.

Other than that it's great, love it. Really liked the rugby vocals too. :)