PDA

View Full Version : A dusty hiphop track I'd like feedback on

TFF
02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Not really my usual thing, so I'm looking for thoughts from people who know better.

http://tindeck.com/image/hppt/stats.png (http://tindeck.com/listen/hppt)

I sequenced this in Renoise, then exported into Reaper for a proper mix. Any feedback is appreciated, but I'd especially like tips on how to make the bass sit better in the mix.

Best,
-Zach

foxAsteria
10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Well since I've recently been complaining about how nobody says shit about my shit, I had to pass on the

The sound quality is already quite good, but the song still sounds more like an idea than a song. First off, I don't think there's enough happening. You don't really need much, but just something to distract the ear from the fact that it is very repetitive. Something subtle and atmospheric. Something slowly changing and background, just for some movement. I think the best part is right before where the drums glitch out for a sec, but it's over way too quick. I'd develop that more. Build it up and get a climax out of it.

Here's what I would do: Since it is very repetitive, you can try layering on some little hit or sound every other or 3rd or 4th bar, that'll give you more mileage. The groove is not quite there. It's unsettling, either you need to quantize it or chop the samps better. Unless that's what you're going for, in which case, I'd throw some more left field sounds in there to emphasize the off kilter wonk. It's a good start, but experiment more with the arrangement and spice it up a bit. Remember, it's digital, you can just delete it if it sucks, so you should be entertaining any idea that comes to you. That establishes workflow and then you'll have more ideas to work with. Take that how you will, as if you were to listen to my tracks, you'd see that my philosophy is far from minimalist.

Have fun!

Edit: About the bass have you tried hi-passing everything else or compressing the bass a bunch, so you can seat its peak volume lower?

Swamp Ape
10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I like it. I don't think it's too wonky overall - it kind of falls apart for a second and then pulls back together, which is cool. That hihat, though, sounds off. Maybe it's just a bit too lazy behind the snare.

As far as the bass goes, aside from compression you might want to emphasize the top end a bit - try running a send to a new track with all the low end EQed out, then distort that and blend it back in. Maybe add JS Tonegate to the original to generate a sub around 50 hz. The kick needs some work too, but the same principle applies - add more highs to thicken it up and add some lows to rattle the woofers. I turned this up loud and it barely registered on my subs.

I agree that it could use a little more color too - some chopped up samples or weird sound effects, a high piano or xylophone or something to add some interest in the high end, maybe a few pauses or chops. Drop out a drum measure or two; it'll add weight when everything comes back in.

I like though, keep playing with it.

foxAsteria
10-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Swamp, can you say a little more about using that tonegate effect? I've never heard of this technique of extracting subbass from a signal and the control scheme is unfamiliar to me. i'm always interested in bass tips...

Swamp Ape
10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I just add it at the end of an fx chain for bass or kick. You can pick a frequency to trigger (I usually use 50hz for kick and 150 hz for bass, or vice versa) and a wave shape - sine, square, or noise, which you can mix in at whatever level you want. The audio triggers the tone, so you get an extra knock at the desired frequency whenever the instrument sounds. It doesn't work as well on complex bass lines, but kicks and drops really benefit from it. I don't have Reaper open to be more specific, but it's a quick and dirty way to get some extra low end. Just play with it, it's easy.

foxAsteria
10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Ah nice, that seems like a less roundabout way of what I was doing, which was duplicating the track and adding reasynth. Only works on midid tracks, but I never thought to try that for kick either. Cool.