PDA

View Full Version : Icon format

smasha
03-25-2007, 08:31 AM
What format are icons saved in?

bmp,jpeg? before they are named ico?

Another question-How do I save the screen to a pic and where does it save to?

teej813
03-25-2007, 09:18 AM
i'm no expert, but buttons can start out any format as long as you have a program that can convert them to .ICO when they're done.

To take a screenshot, press Alt-PrtSc. This copies the active window to the Windows Clipboard. Open up a graphics program, and press Ctrl-V (paste).

As an alternative to Alt-PrtSc, you can use just PrtSc. This copies the entire Desktop to the Clipboard.

tj

smasha
03-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Teej.

smasha
03-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Whats a good program for ico conversion?

One that converts to 16 by 16.

smasha
03-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok-tried this icon thing and am way over my head.

I wanted to convert the transport_pause_on icon to yellow instead of blue but it seems layered or something.

I wish everyone would have the standard colours-play-green,pause,yellow,record ,red-the other colours turn me off or tell me how to change the colours without making the button look fugly i. e the background of the icon doesn't blend in when selecting pause on-what am I doing wrong?

smasha
03-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I't's a major drag being a dumbarse.

:-(

teej813
03-25-2007, 04:22 PM
You might try GIMP. It recognizes ICO files and is pretty powerful. It has a Colorize feature that's pretty handy.

Maybe someone else will chime in about the layers thing. I'm not sure about that.

tj

eMaRe
03-25-2007, 09:26 PM
The icon format has transparency to it by default, I think that's what you mean. Unless you are using a photoshop or another editing program's own file you will not see the layers that may have gone into an icon. I've never used Gimp, just PS, but you may want to try a hue adjustment, if it has it. This will leave anything greyscale untouched, and just change your color to what you want.

smasha
03-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I used gimp-it worked a treat.

Thank you.

James HE
03-26-2007, 01:26 AM
Use IrfranView to convert to .ico. It's free and pretty much converts anything to anything. I haven't run across anything it can't read, even stuff with broken headers. It can resize and color correct images, but probably not to the extent of what you want to do. Microsoft Paint is fine for a lot of things. Or you can check out the shareware ImageForge.

smasha
03-26-2007, 08:43 AM
I used paint but I couldn't see the layers-maybe user error.

Gimp was easy-showed the layers and I could change colours without having to paint them in using the line tool.

I made the alpha pause on transport button yellow.

:-)
Here's my icon set now.