PDA

View Full Version : Error when trying to start Debris

derJörg
03-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Hello,

I came across Debris Visual Art when I searched for Reaper.

I downloaded and installed it, but I can neither access any screen saver options, nor does the program run.

When I try to start it via start menu or screen saver panel, I get the following error message:

--------------------------
"Assertion failed"
Expression: !r
File: P:\projects\rsxe\sql.cpp
Line: 26

[OK] [Cancel]

I'm running Windows XP SP2 (updated to the latest patch).

Regards,
derJörg

derJörg
04-01-2007, 07:04 AM
I tried several previous versions of Debris now, and the last version that works is #43.

...by the way: Debris is a very interesting program. Thank you for releasing it to the public. :)

Regards,
derJörg

Brennan
06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
I tried several previous versions of Debris now, and the last version that works is #43.

...by the way: Debris is a very interesting program. Thank you for releasing it to the public. :)

Regards,
derJörg

You're welcome. :) I will try to make that assert into a better error message soon. That particular error message means that the sqlite db that holds the images' source urls could not be opened. That could happen for a number of reasons. (Out of disk space, can't write to user data dir, etc.) It's hard to say for now without any more information. I improved the error message a tiny bit for next version. Glad you got #43 to work for you. If you're interested in trying out a new version to determine exactly what the problem is post here and let me know and we can try that.

derJörg
06-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Thank you, I'm glad if I can help you. The error still remains, but the error message is a little more descriptive:

"Assertion failed"
"can't open dbfile 'C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Jörg\Anwendungsdaten\Debris Visual Art\debrisurl.db', error code 1244944"
Expression: !r
File: P:\projects\rsxe\sql.cpp
Line: 27

[OK] [Cancel]

The folder doesn't exist (I removed it when I uninstalled #43 and versions after #43 don't create it).

Version #43 creates the folder and fills it with two files ("debrisurl.db" and "wasabi.xmlconfig") and a folder ("checkpoint" with files like this: debris_obj_????????.ppma).

Maybe the "ö" character in the path name is causing trouble? I'm a developer myself and special characters like the german umlauts (ä, ö, ü) have often caused trouble in source code I had to work with - just a shot in the dark...

I'm interested in helping you, so don't hesitate to give me something for testing. :)

Regards,
derJörg

Brennan
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
You know what, I agree. That seems really suspicious, especially if older versions worked. I'm gonna have to experiment a bit and dig through my source control system to see what changed. Thanks for the feedback! I'll post here when I get something worth trying.

Brennan