PDA

View Full Version : In the Heat Of The Night(Pop rock soul-ish)

Sheppola
04-15-2011, 03:58 AM
There's been some nice weather over here that past couple of weeks and this started on a warm night :)

First version is a short length one,

http://www.box.net/shared/17oxdj7ays

This version is an extended self-indulgent version with a long guitar outro for those who like a bit of guitar soloing :)

http://www.box.net/shared/gsbsievu7j

Fast download/streams at 128K.

Ralphm773
04-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Really cool, love the flow of it!

sarah allison tina
04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
being a guitarist i went for the long version .. was that you or ernie isley playing the solos haha! i realy like that lead sound
i hope you dont think ive got a cheek but i felt the drums should have played somthing a bit funkier or rockier.. the beat was a bit too sparse for the song & even if youd just upped the tempo for the long guitar solos that would have been great!

tina

sammydix
04-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Have i just not heard you in a while or are you sounding even better? Something's different in a good way to my ears. Especially like your voice in this tune.

Sambo Rouge
04-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Doug,

Nice song. Really loved the long version -- great guitar work.

I agree with Sammy, the voice gets better.

All you need to round it out is a female backing group from Detroit :D

Ralphm773
04-16-2011, 04:01 AM
Kinda Bryan Ferry esque too, I would even play on that more if you know what I mean.

Sheppola
04-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the comments.I would love to have access to a female backing group ;-)

As for the voice I've been practising a lot of very low volume singing and breath control at the mic.Not easy as I have a naturally loud voice with some harsh frequencies in it that usually have to be tamed.
When I was a kid I was in the school choir and it was all about volume and projection and diaphragm which I've found to be virtually the opposite when recording e.g it's all about control unless you have a Pro studio setup with good damping and mic that can handle it.

Chris Martins
04-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Nice tune, and your voice has a good natural tone to it. You might want to check out Seth Riggs' methods ( or Brett Manning's which are essentially the same ) to gain control of your voice a little more in just a few weeks...

Sheppola
04-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Nice tune, and your voice has a good natural tone to it. You might want to check out Seth Riggs' methods ( or Brett Manning's which are essentially the same ) to gain control of your voice a little more in just a few weeks...

I'll look into that but I'm a tight wad so these freebies I've found to be useful,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIbSQmCiCTw

As I do a lot of types of music I'll never be a Master of all of them and many times I put a vocal on a track that isn't my natural style just so I can complete a song :)

Wolffman
04-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Nice mix all round on this one Sheppola, you always get some very nice guitar tones, but i do believe a lot of a players tone is in his /her hands.

Nice job

Cheers

kindafishy
04-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Good sounding mix, man. I think the bass tone in particular is quite good. It's nice and tight.

Do you think you've pretty much now settled into definite patterns of what works for you, or is each song still a brand new adventure in mixing? Every song is still brand new for me and I take a different approach every time. I'm looking forward to the day when I have a solid workflow.

pattste
04-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Like other guitar players, I went for the long version. I like the song. I think the drums are a little loud for the mix but everyone plays well and sounds good. I like the stereo separation on the drums, especially the cymbals. The guitar solo is too long but there's some serious skills displayed in there.

Doughboy
04-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Very nice. Like it alot. I agree with Tina though.....I think the drums just kind of do something to it .... hmmmmm... to take away from the song a little bit.

Sheppola
04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

Drums loud.
Sometimes I over-compensate for being a Guitarist and don't want to hog the mix which if a fault I think is better than drowning with guitar as most people aren't guitar players so don't want to hear them too loud in the mix depending on the style/song IMHO.

Bass.
The bass is a Soundfont used in Safron player,

http://freevst.blogspot.com/2007/10/saffron-soundfont-player.html

Using the WeedsGM3.sf2 sound font.

I normally play live bass but wanted some deeper semi-synth woody sound I could pitch wheel on as if fret-less in places to slur it to the feel.

Mixes.
I'd say 90%+ the same with small variations depending on the style.If I change too much I find the sounds become unrelated,just me I guess and I always walk away from mixes whilst they are playing to make sure they travel and sound,"Glued".I don't want anything standing out that shouldn't or not sound like it doesn't fit sonically.

I try to get them as close as I can to anything else commercial I play on my system or listen to on the Radio-ish.I also have a rule that if I cannot render to a max of 192k mp3 and get a good sound then I'm doing something wrong and try and get as good a sound as I can @128K.

Solo length:
I did say the 2nd version was pure self-indulgence :)

Sheppola
04-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Very nice. Like it alot. I agree with Tina though.....I think the drums just kind of do something to it .... hmmmmm... to take away from the song a little bit.

OK.Will see what I can do.I think half-and half will work.

Doughboy
04-17-2011, 10:26 AM
yeah.......they sound real good on some parts and then suddenly....they bother me.

Sheppola
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Took the drum comments on-board.Had to change snare sound a bit.

Both updated.

Short;
http://www.box.net/shared/3nsefzazts

Long.
http://www.box.net/shared/gsbsievu7j

Thanks for the feedback :)

Kevin Lodgers
04-18-2011, 02:30 AM
I enjoyed the "self-indulgent long soloing" one ;)
Mix, tones, playing and vocals are very good IMO.

Cheers
Kev