PDA

View Full Version : BASS PLAYER NEEDED!!

richie43
05-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I will cut to the chase. I am in my 40's but I write much "younger" music. I am done doing the live thing and am launching my project studio as a writer/"recordist". I have a tune that an amazing (and much younger!!) singer is cutting vocals for next week and I need some awesome bass. I have years of experience with heavy, experimental, and jazz music, but this song is straight out pop. The singer, who lives out in Boston, has a band but is getting alot of attention from various labels and producers from coast to coast as a solo artist and he has already started looking at placing this song in a way that could be very beneficial and lucrative for all involved. So I have no money up front to offer but if you are interested in hearing it and decide that you can see the potential and want to get involved, PM me. Anyone that contributes will be included in the copyrights and I am perfectly willing to put that into a legal document. I'm not interested in scamming anyone, I just want to get this song done right. I can play decent bass, but I would rather give this song the musicianship that it deserves and make sure that every part is as exciting and vibrant as it should be. Thanks in advance and keep rockin'!

DuraMorte
05-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Pop, huh?
What kind of pop? If there were an artist/group that sounded most similar to the song in question, who would it be?
Just trying to get a feel for the type/style; sorry if these questions are too invasive.

Kundalinguist
05-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Well, where is it? I can't smell me no bass line if I done can't see the song it's attached to.

richie43
05-29-2011, 08:56 PM
If y'all are interested could you PM me an email address? I know it seems odd but I really would rather not post the tune yet, the vocalist has not tracked yet and he would like to not put it out to the general public. It's a pretty basic tune but he is feeling confident about shopping it to the right people that he is connected with. As far as who else it sounds like, I'd rather just send you the tune and you can decide whether or not it's your thing.

Tedwood
05-30-2011, 12:07 AM
You know what Richie? you haven't helped yerself. People can be too precious you know

If the guy you need is here, you sorta didn't help him by not posting a sound clip.

That's like going fishing with no bait

Maybe the guy you need just doesn't have time to fanny about

Just being friendly, hope you catch my drift

:)

richie43
05-30-2011, 06:32 AM
I absolutely catch your drift, but this is not just all about me. I am not in a hurry or desperate, I am just panning back and opening my search for a bass player to this awesome Reaper community. I don't really need EVERY possible player in the world to check it out. But I am interested in the few that may have the experience to fanny about. The right person always appears and we are happy to wait for that person. There are many ways to fish and some bait only works for certain fish (I fish and have done this music thing for a while so my experience has taught me this to be true in both realms!). I am also just being friendly and I hope you know what I mean.

richie43
05-30-2011, 07:45 AM
http://db.tt/fiQxK77
Ok. Here is a Dropbox link for 30+ seconds of the tune. I can see the value of this, but I usually try to avoid the clip thing. When I hear 30 seconds of a song I always wonder if that's the best part or not.... Anyway, this is the last bit of the first verse going into the pre-chorus and chorus. It's still a little bare since we are waiting until the foundation is more in place before we flesh it out more. Also, this has very little to no eq-ing or processing (rough mix- don't be frightened or discouraged!).

richie43
05-30-2011, 11:25 AM
So Kundalinguist called me out so I must say that the drums are a bit boxy due to the use of Addictive Drums. I wanted to avoid hiring out a drummer, but I may need to. Any willing drummers too?

OrenS
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Honestly, I think the drums will be fine once they're mixed properly after all the tracks were recorded.
Wish I was a better bass player, this sounds like an awesome song!

Tedwood
05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Nice track

I use Addictive drums, The Drums are a bit dull, but basically ok, I'm pretty sure you can just play with the eq and room sound/level to get a perfect drum sound for the track

richie43
05-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Honestly, I think the drums will be fine once they're mixed properly after all the tracks were recorded.
Wish I was a better bass player, this sounds like an awesome song!

Thanks. I sort of feel the same way, but as I've said already, this isn't just a tune I want to upload onto a free site or give away as a demo, it's potentially going to get into the hands of some folks that could really make a difference for me (and anyone else on it). I've done the whole marketing thing and am not a fan of "playing the game" in the music biz, but if one song can get placed right, then maybe there could be a little revenue in it to do the things I love with music. Thanks for the encouragement!

richie43
05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Nice track

I use Addictive drums, The Drums are a bit dull, but basically ok, I'm pretty sure you can just play with the eq and room sound/level to get a perfect drum sound for the track

I just started messing with the humanizing function in the Reaper midi editor. It seems to help, but as I am 3 years into digital audio after many years of analog recording, midi is still somewhat new to me. I understand drums, so the setting up the parts is ok. Maybe you can give me some insight on how to further make it more realistic.... I will probably work on the parts more as well. Any hints?

DuraMorte
05-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe you can give me some insight on how to further make it more realistic.... I will probably work on the parts more as well. Any hints?

The parts sound plenty realistic; it's just the drum tones that aren't quite there.
But with just a little work, it'll be fine, I'm sure.

richie43
05-30-2011, 01:24 PM
The parts sound plenty realistic; it's just the drum tones that aren't quite there.
But with just a little work, it'll be fine, I'm sure.

Thanks. So do you play bass? And are you interested?

Kundalinguist
05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
I have been telling Richie through PMs that - in my opinion - the song has a country flavor and the drums could use a little swing because they sound so robotically in sync with the grid. Again, my opinion.

Does anyone else hear this? It's just to get the song to its fullest potential so that nothing is lost on the ears that may finally hear it.

Tedwood
05-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I have been telling Richie through PMs that - in my opinion - the song has a country flavor and the drums could use a little swing because they sound so robotically in sync with the grid. Again, my opinion.

Does anyone else hear this? It's just to get the song to its fullest potential so that nothing is lost on the ears that may finally hear it.

Not really, and I play lot's of country stuff.

My thoughts are the drums are just a bit dull sounding, I have a a fair amount of experience with AD, and humanising is hit and miss. If you do use it, I would suggest you do it over individual bars rather than the whole track or you will find as many "hits" as you will misses.

I would just listen out for the beats that don't sound right and nudge them. I bet there are better ways, but this is the only way that makes me happy with a drum track.

Like I said Richie, if you haven't uncovered all the functions of AD, dig deeper, I feel sure the right drum sound is in there. I don't think it is a long way off either

One of the things I find makes a lot of difference is the amount of send from a kit piece to the room and overheads channels. altering these levels on the kit piece and eq-ing the overheads and room mics can make a hell of a difference. Sorry if you knew that, but it might help another bod.

Ok listening while I type. To my ears Toms sound pretty good. I would try to get more definition on the kick by a little lift in the upper mids. It's the snare really that sounds a bit wrong. It is sorta loud without cutting through, My gut feeling is to accentuate the ring of the snare by cutting anything below around 200Hz by a tad, try and find a spot between say 250 and 400 to give a little lift with a narrow Q, and then add a bit of presence. then you might find you can lower the level and it will cut through micely. You may not need the presence, suck it first and see

:)

richie43
05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Not really, and I play lot's of country stuff.

My thoughts are the drums are just a bit dull sounding, I have a a fair amount of experience with AD, and humanising is hit and miss. If you do use it, I would suggest you do it over individual bars rather than the whole track or you will find as many "hits" as you will misses.

I would just listen out for the beats that don't sound right and nudge them. I bet there are better ways, but this is the only way that makes me happy with a drum track.

Like I said Richie, if you haven't uncovered all the functions of AD, dig deeper, I feel sure the right drum sound is in there. I don't think it is a long way off either

Thanks Tedwood. Maybe I could interest you in helping me edit/humanize the AD midi....? I am half joking. But only half!
I am comfortable finding the right tones, and I haven't spent much time doing that for this particular song. But in all of my years in music recording I have under a year working with midi, so the midi editing is possible but laborious for me. I don't have a work-flow yet. Thanks for all of your suggestions and insight though! And if by chance you'd be game for trying to help me with the midi work, I would NOT say no! Cheers!

Tedwood
05-30-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't mind having a stab at it Richie, drums only.

However the eq of the drums is also crucial to velocity. That is the harder they are hit the more attack and treble come across. Compression makes a vast difference to eq as well.

If you haven't decided on a bass player yet I might drop one in to see if you like. I'm not a real bass player, I do play reasonable bass on my own stuff though, and this is in my genre range for sure. I'm a guitarist/songsmith

Kundalinguist
05-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Not really, and I play lot's of country stuff...

That's why I thought it had a country flavor because I toured with a country band and played stuff that sounded very similar to this song. It doesn't sound like traditional country but definitely "new" country (which is more the Eagles style pop that morphed into Garth Brooks/Lonestar stuff).

But then again, I'm sure we all hear things differently anyway, which is good.

Anyway, doesn't sound like Richie is suffering from lack of input.

Tedwood
05-30-2011, 06:27 PM
But then again, I'm sure we all hear things differently anyway, which is good.

Anyway, doesn't sound like Richie is suffering from lack of input.

This the diference between artists and robots ..;)

K-man, yeah we have similar tastes. I don't exactly hear it in my head (what you are saying about swing).

No! maybe I do now.
I just thought about how my old mate would play it. I'm not sure sure I would call it swing though. I think that's what threw me. I'm thinking he would play it more "fluid" for want of a better word. More relaxed I think

I guess I think what the guys have done is near what they intended, but just needs a little tidying up here and there.

I would like to hear what you mean actually. You may have something there

richie43
05-30-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't mind having a stab at it Richie, drums only.

However the eq of the drums is also crucial to velocity. That is the harder they are hit the more attack and treble come across. Compression makes a vast difference to eq as well.

If you haven't decided on a bass player yet I might drop one in to see if you like. I'm not a real bass player, I do play reasonable bass on my own stuff though, and this is in my genre range for sure. I'm a guitarist/songsmith

I am also primarily a guitarist and am able to do decent bass if I take the time. I will render/bounce an mp3 stereo file of the rest of the music with the AD part and PM you a Dropbox link. Feel free to do whatever you want regarding eq and fx, I could stand to learn from someone who knows more about AD. If you feel like throwing in a bass track, have at it!
All of this discussion about it being a country tune is interesting to me because apart from the hooky lick, I just don't hear the "country" (and I did 3 or 4 years of performing country....). Music is so nebulous that way; everyone hears it in the perspective of their ears and life experience.

Kundalinguist
05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Shuffle, with a bit of swing. Like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gojFlXsYGYE

I'm saying, it wouldn't hurt to give it some bounce because it has the flexibility of going in a few directions. But it's not an aggressive sounding song, rather pop, so why not just make it more "ass-wiggly"?

richie43
05-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey. I checked out the vid and though I didn't hear the "country" in my tune other than the hook, I love the drum feel in the video! I foisted the midi drum reworking on Tedwood so all should be awesome. Thanks for posting the video, it is actually perfect for the song. More ass wiggly! Thanks!!

Tedwood
05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Okay chaps, linguistics - ha!

I think of swing, as in Mitch Mitchell, and jazzy stuff

You said it before K, I would say it's kinda got some "bounce" words eh?

That's a cool track Kundo

merdave
05-30-2011, 09:35 PM
sounds like funky country to me.

Lounge_Acts
06-07-2011, 12:29 AM
If you want bass added to any songs, i'll do it for ya, no bother at all.
I play all instruments.

Here's a demo of stuff I've done all in my home studio alone (bar the teenage girl singing lol)

http://soundcloud.com/loungeact/colin-newest (Slap Bass riff/home studio demo)

http://soundcloud.com/loungeact/mark-adair-studio-promo-1 (Some home studio demo)

PM me and i'll have it sent back to you with bass, in a few hours.

Regards,
Mark.

Dan_Sitar
06-08-2011, 10:08 PM
҈ ≈ ֹ͡ ֹ͡ ♪ ︵̮̫̮︵ ♬ Hi everyone, ٩̮(ُӦُ̮̮͂Ӧ)ʅ۶
...it has the flexibility of going in a few directions.
Right. It mostly depends on the meaning/depth of the story and the type of harmony that tries to decorate it. But the loud snare on beat #2 and #4 cuts down those possibilities to the country and Rock levels. A drum more subtle would just accentuate what the other instruments 'do' and 'do not' on those beats, especially when the bass establishes strongly the harmony on the first beat (strongly from the choice of the note that introduces the important one on the first beat, not from being loud). That would enlarge the type of listeners while keeping the country ones.

...But in all of my years in music recording I have under a year working with midi, so the midi editing is possible but laborious for me.
We are quite complementary because MIDI is the only way I do my recording ☺‼ The most interesting for you is that I don't use a MIDI instrument. In fact, I don't have any‼ I only use the keyboard & mouse of my computer to enter each note with its data according to what I've composed directly on my score. Then, I edit mostly in the ‘event list’☺‼

As for your project, is your request just to take part of a Demo via Reaper or it also involves to play the bass life in a recording studio and on the road?

The sample of the tune is pretty inspiring and I can write the bass lines that would be at the foundation of the story and its atmosphere. I've heard inside the melodies of the bass that supported the rhythmic section while being an accomplice of the main melody of the song (that I extrapolated at this point). Thanks to the development of small patterns within the main melody and the meaning of story, the bass lines also acted as ‘contermelodies’ without over powering the main melody.

All that complicated stuff is done with just a few 'on' and 'off' beat notes per bar that aim with confident to the roots of all the chord changes on which the harmony is built on. And writing everything on paper first without any instrument enlarges the field of the intuitions sitting on a musical knowledge, and therefore, opens up to a musicality beyond the limits of the techniques and habits of the fingers.

Your tune has enough potential to get my attention. Now the question is: are you interested in my insprations ؟ ٌ८ֹٌ̡ʅ∿

Dan_Sitar  ҉ ≈ ︵ﭢ︵ ♫ ☻

Dan_Sitar
06-09-2011, 05:57 PM
҈ ≈ ֹ͡ ֹ͡ ♪ ︵̮̫̮︵ ♬ Hi everyone, ٩̮(ُӦُ̮̮͂Ӧ)ʅ۶

This is a very interesting and instructive discussion. May I introduce you to another approach with the tools that might solve many issues and others that are not mentioned in here ؟ ٌ८ֹٌ̡ʅ∿

The three main issues here are:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
➀ How to produce the more realistic tones of Drums without a real drummer. Sorry for them, but you might have the gigs on the road thou ☺‼

➁ The multi orientations that the song could take, e.g. country, soft rock, new age, disco (just kidding, lol), etc. Depending on the lyrics and if it is well orchestrated, the song could travel naturally through all of those "genres" ☺‼

➂ The BASS, the sound⒮, the style⒮ and the notes that absolutely have to be in a BASS Way Of Thinking.

Introduction of another approach with tonnes of tools.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
I wouldn't worry about at this stage of the arrangement to look for the exact tones not only for the drums, but for all the other instruments as well. That can be mastered at a further step, thanks to the SoundFont approach. A soundfont is exactly like a font of characters in a text. It is a kit of samples of an instrument, e.g. one pure note per different ranges. Then, you can add all kinds of effects. Here are some good examples of what you can accomplish with only SoundFonts without the musicians: http://www.soundsforbeats.com/

The actual and the most crucial step is to establish the itinerary of the song among many “genres” as explained in ➁. The lyrics determine something else as important too, e.g. the time of the day or the night! Yep! A scene happening late at night with an orchestration that paints a bright afternoon, the tones of the instruments won't fit at all. Unless the story calls for such a miss-match as a daydream or something.

Brief, once the style of each section is clearly ‘identify’ and planned for, then, some intuitive musical knowledge can make each section flow naturally into the other, techniques of composition like the “seeing ahead, but with surprises”, the “walk backward from where you want to go”, etc.

Once that is all done, it is the right time to bring in the BASS that will support the entire orchestration, a solid foundation like the steps of a giant that thinks in Bass Language.

Finally, the finishing touch, e.g. to polish with SoundFont where it is necessary. Be aware that there are levels of quality that are independent of the prizes. Some of the free SoundFonts are better than the expensive ones, and vice-versa.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Now it's my turn to seek your help ใ(ૈ̮৹̮ૈ)ๆ. I came to this forum searching for a work-around to a limit of Reaper. Unfortunately, the mixer has no control over MIDI data. The view-meters follow very well the signals, but the volume and the pan have no effect, even those of the tracks. More, the master mixer don't even see anything‼

Forget about the FX effects like reverb and echo ̒̒¿̒̒ ̯͠ ʅ... All the internal FX don't work without any external midi equipment‼ Any clue or related topics ؟ ّ̒̒̒८ّ̒̒̒̒ ̡͡ ʅ∿ Thanks ☺‼

Dan_Sitar  ҉ ≈ ︵ﭢ︵ ♫ ☻
&♭¾▐│:Ξ ۡ♩ ♬ ۡ♪ ♪ ۡ♪ ͡ |♫ ۡ♪♬ ۡ♩ |≷ ۡ♪‿♮♪♬ ۡ♩⌒|♫ ۡ♬♯♪‿♪♬|Ξ०﹋Ξ:║

richie43
06-09-2011, 06:14 PM
You should repost your question in the general question section of the forums. You will get more response. This is the section for people looking for collaborations. But here is your answer.

Using the top menu, insert your midi instrument (vsti)

On that track make sure that it is armed to record and the monitor button is set to monitor input. Then you can control your instrument with your faders.

See attachments.

Smurf
06-19-2011, 03:44 PM
richie43, I have answered your PM....SO sorry for the later reply! :(

richie43
06-19-2011, 06:31 PM
richie43, I have answered your PM....SO sorry for the later reply! :(

And I have answered yours too! No problem and get back to me. Thanks1