PDA

View Full Version : Seriously I can't be the first in here

larrygates
04-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Well since I am. And of course this isn't really a newbie question or is it.

This is by far one of the best software forums I've been to. The automation was so much of a turn off to me, that I basically abandoned the whole thing as far as automation goes, and I had to do work arounds with VST's for panning and things of that nature. LFO's sometimes, and lot's of sidechaining with reacomp to deal with not having to do as much tedious volume stuff that I couldn't understand.

I may start another thread, and politely ask that we have an option to enable a more across the board automation read out, than the unity thing. It doen't tell me what's going on with my faders, and I can't really deal with that since I usually mix my music on laptop speakers, so depth isn't something I have.

If this didn't answer what you were saying, I have not found a suitable way to deal with the automation in Reaper. The envelopes are a little to touchy and unpredictable. It's not very clear what's what with how tiny and hair thin the envelopes are. It's just not a very pleasant thing for me to deal with. As far as my knowledge goes, Logic has the best envelopes when it comes to drawing them. Then I can convert those to midi regions and simply copy rides and pans all over the song, grid locked and not for me to worry about. That way I can get really anal about what I'm automating and simply convert the data and move it anywhere I want and have the same result with no work.

Pro-Tools has the best fader automation. HD has other added benefits of moving a fader then having everything that you want in that section mimic the movement without playing the transport. Simply hit command / and it does either a trim of existing or adds points at where I specify a selection. Very nice.

Reaper needs to bridge the Logic envelopes, and the pro-tools fader thing. As a matter of fact I'll be posting this soon. Maybe you could help because it's hard for me to say all of this stuff. I move very fast in a DAW so I don't really pay attention to what is being done in terms of language.

Thanks

Larry

tweed
04-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi Larry....quick read of your post...just a scan over really. In a positive way I'm thinking you're not a newbie!

Hey, I really hope the newbie forum goes well.
The new manual is amazing... have you seen it?

Myself I LOVE the thin-ness of the automation lines.. AND the way as soon as one gets on top of one you get a cursor change and other cool stuff.
Sorry to be just flying in for a second here.

Best wishes!

larrygates
04-13-2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks for those words. I may not be an audio or production noob. But reaper. Probably. I posted here to test the waters and the be the first in here. The temperature here is a little hot as of late. I will bring up some of my automation concerns un the general thread when I get what I'm saying all out together.

I'm not sure though how you like the thinness of the envelopes. It would be hard to keep track of more than one. And the whole arm concept is a little much for me to grasp. But I do like Logic as far as drawing automation goes. Not so much pencil drawing just splitting things and making easy rectangles and squares.

drew
04-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Larry - so basically if you were making a Feature Request the primary point would be "can there be a preference setting so that when you are in automation mode the fader display reflect an offset from the current trim fader level, rather than from unity". Would that be right?

I'd been used to doing things both ways but actually I think it would be really interesting to see if others would enjoy being able to see the trim level rather than having to remember it while adjusting the automation. It also means the fader position always results in the level you actually hear, so I can totally see the logic there.

sebas777
04-14-2007, 06:15 PM
as the FR threads moved to this part of the forum...

+1 for as much of Logic automation method as allowed by law :)
+1 for moving faders (I was almost sure they do!)...

Idea No 3: when using relative automation modes, there could be a small ball or point moving in the channel instead of the fader handle itself, so the fader would sit where you like it (from 0-127) (this is set before you start to record). This way you wouldn't need to chase the handle when trying to change or scale the envelopes by hand. Please note that now we either record automation, or edit it. There's almost no way we could modify a recording in real time (relative or scaling mode).

larrygates
04-14-2007, 06:46 PM
as the FR threads moved to this part of the forum...

Sebas what does FR threads mean?

Also yes, how do you know about the Logic nodes and automation? And from what I saw I see you also think they are the best out there. I really wish Reaper could be a combo of Pro-Tools Fader automation/arming/ handling of faders period. While taking the super easy to deal with node feel of Logic. The ability for Reaper to throw envelope automation into empty folders on other tracks would be great. Since copying complicated auto moves would be super easy. While I'm at it, there is a way that Pro-Tools allows you command-control click any parameter and its envelope shows up for you on the edit page. No menus, no guessing, just click what you want to control and it shows up. Does anyone know how much better of a step toward finding an automation controller this would be. And it fits into the intial idea of Reaper being less about opening many menus to do 1 thing.

I'm just about ready to take this thread into a bonified request for a change in Reaper.

Thanks guys

peterjkirk
04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
what was he talking about?

moodswinger
04-22-2008, 08:32 AM
PJK-
After reading a couple of your posts now, I've got a few suggestions for you. While I am impressed you went right to the first post in this section to start gathering info. (i know cuz I was there to recently when I had question.), "what was he talking about?" isn't going to get a whole lot of help, when you're talking about a (6) post topic, and there are probably 10 different things brought up. So....

First- Like I said after reading other posts of your I get the impression you know little to nothing about recording, at least in the computer sense, and if you do in the analog/hardware (ie: tape, mixer, etc.) some will apply but not all, and there are different ways of doing things that are referred to (terms), differently software wise. (ie. effects or "FX" - chorus, delay, are also referred to in a more general sense as plug-ins, plugs or VST.) So at the very least read thru the Quick Start and wiki found here...
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_Documentation
also Tweakheadz Guide: http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
start to familiarize yourself with things, and those are FULL of useful info.
Download the manual too, and start going thru that, also very well written and you will get confused, but that's what the forum is for, but at least get familiar with things so when people try to help, you have some idea what they're talking about.

Second- Look thru these forums get a feel/idea for the way people communicate in here, this is the best environment for you at this point, cause quite frankly this is the best music production forum on the web IMO ;), and I frequent a few. Good atmosphere, good helpful people, but look at how things are done, don't want to sound cheesy but, help them...help you. Be as specific as you can about what you want to know. I'm not trying to be a jerk or sound condisending, but it will get you what you want and need to know quicker.
Here's to busting out that first demo, and good luck,
Cheers,
Moodswinger

InthOmnia
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
This IS s'posed to be 'Newbieland'!
I also had only the faintest notion of what he was talking about!
(grin)
But +1 anyway.
Laurence.

peterjkirk
04-28-2008, 08:55 AM
This IS s'posed to be 'Newbieland'!
I also had only the faintest notion of what he was talking about!
(grin)
But +1 anyway.
Laurence.

exactly............too much jargon which you all seem to assume people already know about, ie DAW ? VST ? FX, and no the user manual isnt for the faint hearted. i did have a look at another site that some one recommended but could understand most of it,whats all that pyramid stuff about, is that guy trying to impress every one just how smart he is or do he know zero about clean langauge? how about some raely basic info for a change?
i can just about wire up my PA [that public adress system by the way for those that dont know] mic, guitar etc but that about it.computers? i realy struggle with even finding where windows has even put my stuff !!! dont assume please.as usual i think i,ll not bother with this, i had a MIDI [thats musical instrument digital interface for those that dont know] a roland u20.............it was worse than hell to operate, the instruction manual was handy for lighting fires but thats about all,sold it a few years ago for a fiver.........never recored anything as i spent soo much time trying to find out how to.
thanks guys but im gone.......................