PDA

View Full Version : Critique a first try? (Instrumental guitar ballad)

Uncle_G
08-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi guys

So, after playing sloppy rock n' roll covers in smoky bars for many years, I recently started thinking that I'd like to try and make my own music - just for fun. But I also wanted to play outside of my comfort zone, and hopefully help improve my skills.

This is my first real composition and first experience with a real DAW, VSTs, Midi etc.
Man, this sure isn't something you learn overnight! When they say anyone can make music at home nowadays, it's really not that simple :)

Anyways, I thought it couldn't hurt with some opinions from the guys who really know their stuff.

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/chaelgun/maybe-there-is

CrankyChris
08-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Nice playing. I was a little surprised when the drums and lead came in. I thought I was in for a sort of Tom Waits thing with the bass and chorus (I think) guitar at the beginning. That's some amazing playing. I like a lot of the melodic runs.

I think you could use some different/contrasting sections. The 6 2 4 1 progression gets old and the listener could lose interest (and might not make it to your great playing later in the song). You change it up around 1:45ish - but even then it's still a similar minor/spooky (as my brother calls it) progression. Use something else to set this section up. I would also think about using different guitar tones/pickups throughout the song. The listener may lose interest in the standard overdriven guitar tone over 4 minutes. Keep at it! Good effort!

msore
08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
sounds like trying to sound like something

Uncle_G
08-06-2011, 05:35 AM
I think you could use some different/contrasting sections. The 6 2 4 1 progression gets old and the listener could lose interest (and might not make it to your great playing later in the song). You change it up around 1:45ish - but even then it's still a similar minor/spooky (as my brother calls it) progression. Use something else to set this section up. I would also think about using different guitar tones/pickups throughout the song. The listener may lose interest in the standard overdriven guitar tone over 4 minutes. Keep at it! Good effort!
Thanks for the feedback.
I agree and I'm aware of this. Unfortunately I know no music theory so it's a big challenge. 'Simple' is my current skill level :)
It's definitely something I'm gonna work on.

sounds like trying to sound like something
Not intentionally. But like evryone else naturally I'm inspired by other players. Hopefully as I get better I will also find my own sound/style.

mschuster
08-06-2011, 12:56 PM
nice melodic playing. i agree with the comment above, a little more diversity would go a long way.. but nice effort!

Gunde
08-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Well, that was a lot better than I expected. Love the solo.

For me there's enough variation in the melody, bass line and drumming so the lack of variation in the chord progressions isn't a problem for me.

I'm guessin that you're a fan of guys like Joe Satriani and for that genre I think you did great.
IMO it's one hell of a first effort.

Keep it up.

kindafishy
08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes, well, you can now join the ranks of those who post their first song and the mix sounds better than my 10th.

I really like your guitar tone. Care to share your chain?

Great first tune man.

SkyUK
08-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Nice work for a 'beginner'! As a fellow guitar player I liked it! A good arrangement with enough variation to keep the interest going.

Issues that hit me early on: (i) the kick drum wasn't substantial enough, the rest of the kit sounded fine but did you EQ the bottom end out of the kick drum? It wasn't providing the firm foundation I was expecting. (ii) Like all guitar players we tend to mix lead stuff too prominently; it sounds like a combo where the guitar players are four feet from me and the drummer fifteen feet further back after that! I'd pull the guitars back a tad in the mix to get a better 'combo' balance. As a guitar player I also like listening to drummers!
(NB: mixes are a lot about personal preference, so please take these comments as being my personal preferences only!)

Thanks for sharing this one.

John

metallicaguy1
08-13-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm not an expert on music or anything, but I loved this little ballad. For me, it 'felt' like a ballad. I felt like your guitar was actually 'saying' something deep. Good job! :)

Uncle_G
08-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Yes, well, you can now join the ranks of those who post their first song and the mix sounds better than my 10th.

I really like your guitar tone. Care to share your chain?

Great first tune man.
Thanks. At this point I can't rule out luck :) Also, it's a very simple project with few tracks.
The guitar tones (main melody and solo) are both Guitar Rig 4.
I'd be happy to share the presets if you'd like.

Nice work for a 'beginner'! As a fellow guitar player I liked it! A good arrangement with enough variation to keep the interest going.

Issues that hit me early on: (i) the kick drum wasn't substantial enough, the rest of the kit sounded fine but did you EQ the bottom end out of the kick drum? It wasn't providing the firm foundation I was expecting. (ii) Like all guitar players we tend to mix lead stuff too prominently; it sounds like a combo where the guitar players are four feet from me and the drummer fifteen feet further back after that! I'd pull the guitars back a tad in the mix to get a better 'combo' balance. As a guitar player I also like listening to drummers!
(NB: mixes are a lot about personal preference, so please take these comments as being my personal preferences only!)

Thanks for sharing this one.

John
Regarding (i) I didn't EQ the kick. I'm using a preset for Addictive Drums that I found and liked. This along with (ii) is the result of being a beginner I guess :)
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the next track.

I'm not an expert on music or anything, but I loved this little ballad. For me, it 'felt' like a ballad. I felt like your guitar was actually 'saying' something deep. Good job! :)
Thanks a lot! I appreciate that.

Thanks everyone.

BoyNext
08-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Enjoyed it, but as with the others, the kick drum feels a little awkward to me through the opening.

Transition @0.35-ish works for me not to sure @3.50, but its all personal tast.

camerondye
08-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Someone earlier mentioned a chorus effect at the beginning before the solo came in but I think you might be a touch out of tune from the rhythm guitar to the bass. I think it is subtle but distracting enough to fix.

I love your solo, there are a couple parts that you lose it and wank a little but most of it rocks pretty seriously. I think your solo volume is too high and that is dwarfing everything (especially between 2:21 & 3:48).

Seriously, the beauty of the song is in the "less is more" attitude of the song so don't lose that. A pad in the way back may help but only as long as it doesn't get in the way of anything.
cam

ArrowHead
08-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Tune that bass. It's hurting you badly. Tune every instrument, every take. Also, fresh strings help a lot. Your mix is SO clear, and fairly balanced, but that clarity is working against you by making the tuning issues really stand out.

As for FIRST TIME doing this on a daw? This is a very very good result. My first attempt was something like tic tacs in an empty can of spaghetti-o's. You got a very good sound and mix.