PDA

View Full Version : Reaper width

Clapz
08-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi ,
I wonder , why is the default width set to 100% on each track when starting a new song in reaper 4?
Should this not be 0% ? Or does 0% set a track mono?
If so, what does - 100% mean?
And as a final question, how can I set the default for track width
in reaper 4 ?
Please help, because I am really struggling with these questions.
Yes I am new to reaper and can't find info on this one .

mabian
08-24-2011, 03:20 PM
100% = as it is, 0% = collapsed to mono

- Mario

gofer
08-24-2011, 05:10 PM
-100% = Channels switched sides, left is right and light is reft :D.

It is no stereo widener gadget.

Clapz
08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys !

the-patient
11-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't mean to bump a somewhat old thread, but what's the purpose of this from a mixing standpoint? I guess so you can tighten up stereo tracks, and do interesting things by automating this knob and making items switch sides?

chrisharbin
11-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Sometimes I just hate how wide something is. I think to myself "self, this just sounds too wide"

Stereo loops are a big part of this, as well as stereo drums. Sometimes, narrowing the field let's things sit better. Another thing I'm really happy to be able to do now that I'm on 4 is narrowing the verb buss in certain instances. Of course it's all about choice.

It's truly nice to be able to have it in host again with a simple right click (or I guess some might like it as the default. For the record, I like R/L and the wide option ("stereo pan") but the R/L independent is nice too.

the-patient
11-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris!

That's what I was thinking, and I could see how that would be handy in the reverb buss. While I have your attention, what's the deal with the input fx chain?

I understand that it only works on audio coming in, when it's record armed - is this for monitoring purposes?

mabian
11-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the reply Chris!

That's what I was thinking, and I could see how that would be handy in the reverb buss. While I have your attention, what's the deal with the input fx chain?

I understand that it only works on audio coming in, when it's record armed - is this for monitoring purposes?

Forgive me for chiming in; Input fx chain is useful if you want to record a signal already processed - for example, transpose or velocity processing for MIDI tracks, compressor or eq or whatever for audio tracks.

- Mario

studer58
11-17-2011, 10:04 PM
I guess I just don't understand "width" in the context of mixing and panning in REAPER ? Isn't 100% left or right panning going to accomplish the same thing ? If I don't want to increase the width of a pair of tracks, for example, would I simply leave width at 100% ? Width as a concept isn't addressed in any of the 4.x User Guides....maybe it slipped the writer's attention ? Or wait.... is it explained in the Pan section on p.179 of the 4.11 guide ? If I want to leave it as it's been in versions 3.xx, do I just select that mode as default ? I'm using REAPER to mix straight orchestral live recordings, so I don't want any 'out of body' (or head) stereo experiences !!

chrisharbin
11-17-2011, 10:25 PM
It's not going to accomplish quite the same thing in some cases. If you recorded a guitar part in stereo or overheads and they are too "wide", you can use the width (or the dual panner) to narrow things up (or go mono in certain cases) R/L pan will only mono the signal if it's hard panned....that is very undesirable in many cases.

And yes, my default is always the standard R/L (or if not you can make it that way of course. A simple right click gives you the options if you wish to experiment

Lament
03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
where can i find this width knob? reaper shows me only panning.

Mercado_Negro
03-19-2012, 09:23 AM
where can i find this width knob? reaper shows me only panning.

Right-click on your track pan pot (or Project Settings to apply this to all tracks in your project) and choose "Stereo pan". The Width knob is also there when using the Stereo balance mode but most themers (even the default), hide it because it isn't really necessary and some people may find it confusing.

zappsunzorn
03-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Edit: I need to preview in case of Mercado :)

Lament
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Right-click on your track pan pot (or Project Settings to apply this to all tracks in your project) and choose "Stereo pan". The Width knob is also there when using the Stereo balance mode but most themers (even the default), hide it because it isn't really necessary and some people may find it confusing.

thank you! :)