PDA

View Full Version : A song I wrote last night

kilroy
04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi guys... here's a song I wrote last night. I'd really appreciate your comments.

The recording isn't that great, I just didn't want to forget it so I CTRL-R'ed it. It's amazing what you can do in less than hour once you start knowing your way around Reaper... and know how to use the rea-plugings as well.

By the way, I made a mistake after a couple minutes... so I faded the song out for the benefit of your ears.

http://www.patricecote.com/goodnight

Please note: english is not my first language so feel free to suggest alternate wording... pronunciation etc.

Here are the lyrics:

http://www.patricecote.com/musique/paroles%20say%20good%20night.txt

beatbybit
04-20-2007, 04:13 PM
hi kilroy,

are you 30? :) i'm '77er, i'll be 30 in june.

i can understand how you feel. i don't wanna grow up too.. :I

music is nice, reminds me a bit (only a little bit, really) Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata". i know the chords are differ, but this is how i feel, while listening your song. (The lyrics are absolutely understandable to me.)

i hope you'll do a more "shaky" song after this, telling us : " i've found the answer!.." :D

but i hope you won't tell me : "42".. (i prefer 24..)

:)

keep on recording all your ideas,

cheers

Jonathan

kilroy
04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks beatbybit... Yes I'm a 77er (will turn 30 in september - I know... it sucks).

Don't worry... I just felt like this the time of writing the song! It's just easier for me to write sad songs... but it doesn't stop me from living a happy life! Why not!

;-)

Kilroy

beatbybit
04-20-2007, 04:38 PM
It's just easier for me to write sad songs...
Kilroy

i know, i know.. the "beautyful blue".. :)
or as we say here in H. "szomorú-szép". most of the hits we really like over here are "blue"..

i'm curious about what would you add to this song further?
Sound effects, synths, guitars - or just keep it simple ? (none is _better_ i think)

i'm always curious, if it comes to Music. :)

oh, and have a nice day!

(wink)

kilroy
04-20-2007, 04:55 PM
I agree there's probably not much to add as far as instruments are concerned... Maybe strings??? What do you think? I'll probably do some testing anyway.

How do you like the piano sound? It's actually 4Front Truepianos virtual instrument. I just bought it and fell in love with it.

Have a nice day too!

beatbybit
04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree there's probably not much to add as far as instruments are concerned... Maybe strings??? What do you think? I'll probably do some testing anyway.

strigs. huh. yeah. just a few things about: i do the string part in audio (from samples), not using sampler. my goal is to achieve as realistic string part, as possible. in the audio-way, there are more possibilities in editing, imho. though, that's a much slower process than using a sampler/MIDI.

but the real "beautiful-blue" comes alive, when it has real string part. probably played by '77ers, too. :D just to catch the vibe.

half a year ago i did here a 2member "string section" (2 violins). they definetely had a vibe. i don't have great room and mics and preamps to record them "PRO", but the result was no3 on the hungarian "Dance TOP40" (no1 and no2 was not hungarian)

How do you like the piano sound? It's actually 4Front Truepianos virtual instrument. I just bought it and fell in love with it.

i can understand your love. i wanted to ask if it was recorded a real piano? (i was listening on my multimedia speakers, not the studio monitors. yet. but i feel that "bule" sound in it)

kilroy
04-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Wow... Top 40 hey. No kidding! I'd like to hear it!

beatbybit
04-20-2007, 05:50 PM
kilroy,

check your PM. :)

Alistair S
04-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Nice song - especially the chorus :)

richlum
04-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Wow that is a seriously good song!

Chorus is great - both musically and lyrically.

I've listened to it 4 times straight now.

Recording sounds real intimate which suits the song really well.

Rich

asharin
04-29-2007, 03:46 AM
Man, that was awesome. Kind of the same theme I've used for a couple of songs, yeah, I'm feeling old too :(

Stringer
04-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Nice melody. It's going to be nice when you finish it.

But you guys think 30 is old? You are just getting started. It's true that soon you will be thinking, "If only I knew then what I know now," or "How could I have been so dumb?" It is good to be young, but experience tells too. It's all good, except when it isn't.

John

drumist69
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
30's not old, and hi to beatybit in Hungary! My dad came to America from Hungary right after the revolution. Actually got shot in the leg on his way out! I went over to visit and meet some family when I was 5 years old. I want to go back really badly. Some of my earliest clear memories are from that trip to Budapest! I've dreamed about it... Andy

beatbybit
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
13 of 30 years in the hungarian "pop-business" makes the musicians, producers disillusioned/disappointed.. the music is a luxury nowadays.. (ok, everywhere, when it comes to buy it)

I want to go back really badly. Some of my earliest clear memories are from that trip to Budapest! I've dreamed about it... Andy

Wow Andy,

though where i'm living is 120km from Budapest, it'd be nice to see you in my studio!

Many of my homies lives in America, they're 30, and happy.. (in terms of job and cash)

Lawrence
05-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Nice. Very nice. I keep expecting to hear the full band come in on the second verse or chorus and drive it home. Or a steel guitar.

Cool.

kilroy
05-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Beatbybit: Thanks for the PM! I had a goodtime listening to your songs.

Kilroy

harphunt
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I agree that the song has potential. Expand on it. Strings - too easy. I remember that Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" was remixed with a hip-hop beat and was cool. I'm not necessarily suggesting that, just think beyond a classic(al) presentation.

PEACE

kilroy
05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes Harphunt. That's what I think now (doing something a little less usual)... That is why I wanted to take some time before I get started, while gathering some ideas on this forum. I can see a drumbeat behind the piano and some more instruments... without losing the spirit of the song.