PDA

View Full Version : Waves 8 plugins

jwilden
09-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Can anybody offer any guidance on how to get Waves 8 plugs working with Reaper? I have a small set of their plugins (couple of singles/music production bundle) which are licenced via an iLok.

A first attempt to scan for VSTs initially caused Reaper to crash outright unless I disable the option to request the plugin names when scanning.

Subsequent scans seem to recognise the individual plugins correctly.

I can see the individual plugs in the reaper VST list however attempting to instantiate one results in “The program can't start wave lib 8.0.dll not found on your computer”. This library is definitely present in the same folder as the Waves plugs.

I’ve read a number of threads on various forums, for various DAWs with suggestions to resolve this but all the suggestions I’ve tried so far haven’t worked for me. These include copying the library to various other places and ensuring that the Waves folder is correctly included in the VST search path.

I typically work with Pro Tools but am keen to take another look at Reaper since version 4 was released having been inspired by watching the excellent Reaper 4 explained video on Groove3.

Sadly some threads degenerate into a heated argument about the value of Waves plugins, their use of a shell library in general and the evils of the iLok authentication system. I realise that there are many good alternative plugins out there but the Waves ones are important to me – particularly when weighing up the costs of the learning curve involved in migrating my projects from one DAW to another.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Raja Malik Meeran
09-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Can anybody offer any guidance on how to get Waves 8 plugs working with Reaper? I have a small set of their plugins (couple of singles/music production bundle) which are licenced via an iLok.

A first attempt to scan for VSTs initially caused Reaper to crash outright unless I disable the option to request the plugin names when scanning.

Subsequent scans seem to recognise the individual plugins correctly.

I can see the individual plugs in the reaper VST list however attempting to instantiate one results in “The program can't start wave lib 8.0.dll not found on your computer”. This library is definitely present in the same folder as the Waves plugs.

I’ve read a number of threads on various forums, for various DAWs with suggestions to resolve this but all the suggestions I’ve tried so far haven’t worked for me. These include copying the library to various other places and ensuring that the Waves folder is correctly included in the VST search path.

I typically work with Pro Tools but am keen to take another look at Reaper since version 4 was released having been inspired by watching the excellent Reaper 4 explained video on Groove3.

Sadly some threads degenerate into a heated argument about the value of Waves plugins, their use of a shell library in general and the evils of the iLok authentication system. I realise that there are many good alternative plugins out there but the Waves ones are important to me – particularly when weighing up the costs of the learning curve involved in migrating my projects from one DAW to another.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

waves 8 will sure work fine with reaper,..if its a warezed mac version sure it wont work ,...all u need is registered mac or windows version,...

jwilden
09-11-2011, 05:41 AM
waves 8 will sure work fine with reaper,..if its a warezed mac version sure it wont work ,...all u need is registered mac or windows version,...

Thanks for your comments Malik - these are licensed copies of Waves plugins - not cracked however they do not work at the moment under windows.

bradleyfilms
09-11-2011, 07:01 AM
I have them working here on both x86 and x64 Reaper.
What are the paths to WaveShell-VST 8.0.dll? There should be 2 paths, but AFAIK only one of them is important.
What is the path to the Waves folder where the waves plugins are installed?
And finally, the path to the plugins' settings? There should be a shortcut with the plugins called "PlugIn Settings" or "PlugIn Settings - new location"
There was a problem early on with V8 and scanning, but this was fixed some months ago.
Steve

airon
09-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Perhaps the Shell2VST utility needs to be used. At least for 64-bit Reaper that may be necessary, so they can be bridged individually instead of via the shell.

jwilden
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Actually I tried using Shell2VST and it also threw an exception (error message) and shut down.

I have been wondering if there is some mismatch between Waves 8 and the runtime environment on my Windows 7 DAW partition.

It is very much a stripped down version, pretty much a requirement if using Pro Tools rather than anything to do with Reaper. Networking is disabled and so is auto-updating so there won't have been any patches or service packs applied.

On the other hand the RTAS versions of the plugins are working fine which would use a different shell (the dpm version) but the same underlying plugin assemblies (dlls).

Thanks also to Steve for trying to help me with this issue. I'll check the various paths as suggested when I'm back at home and get back to you on that.

ultrafinriz
01-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I have the waves V8 gold pack here. I didn't check their "supported DAW" list before buying. Turns out Waves makes no promise their VSTs will work with Reaper. Luckily it's working out for me. I have XP still on my main machine...
I would like to get the GTR stuff from waves too but I can't tell how successful I would be in getting it to work.
Any feedback is appreciated.

ultrafinriz