PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please - USB Interface for i7 Laptop

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I recently bought a Dell XPS17 i7 w/6gigs of ram, and was toying with the idea of getting an interface for it and using it as my main recording/mixing rig (if I can't get Reamote to work). So, I'd love to have some input from anyone running a similar setup - problems to look out for; unstable drivers for win7: PREAMP QUALITY; build quality; feature set; etc. Basically anything you feel might be useful information. Thanks!

Kyle

bmanic
09-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I'd take a very serious look at the RME Babyface. It can easily be expanded with 8 inputs and 8 outputs and like all RME hardware, has extremely solid driver support.

Expensive though.

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm sure they are nice,but I'm a one-man-band basically so I really only need 2 inputs at most at any one time. And, it's a bit more than I'm thinking of spending. Around $200 give or take is in the ballpark.

Kyle

Low_Pressure
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
E-Mu 0404 usb - unstable drivers for win7, decent sound quality. There should be better analogues on the market, but you can look for a used one. My friend took this for about $160 a year ago.

Kainz
09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Save yourself from excess trouble and just get the Babyface. Good support, solid drivers, perhaps the best implemementation of USB currently out there.

EDIT: Oh and don't get E-MU, or I'd at least advice strongly against it. They are really going downhill lately.. they still don't have proper Windows 7 drivers, questionable support at best, lot of faulty products due to build quality and so on. They do, however, offer decent AD/DA and general sound. I don't know about the pres though, most likely basic consumer quality stuff.

ObiK
09-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Maybe the new scarlett usb interface would work? http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/focusrite-unveils-scarlett-2i2-audio-interface-497254

richie43
09-19-2011, 03:16 PM
i own and use the EMU 0404 USB interface, and it is actually very nice. I am on Windows 7 Pro 64bit, and I use the recent "beta" driver for it. Yes, it's true, they have terrible support and this beta driver is about a year old, but..... this thing has incredible converters and the onboard preamps are nice; transparent and powerful. I use external tube pre's going in, but before I had those the EMU preamps were fine. If you need the comfort of current drivers and good support, don't buy it. But if you dig into some reviews, you will find that even with those glaring bad points, you will be hard pressed to find this quality of converters at even a higher price-point. I am going to be upgrading soon, but not because I am unhappy with the unit. I am needing more inputs!! I will miss this interface, it has been solid and amazing sounding.

henge
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I know it's out of the mentioned price range but the Babyface is a great usb interface. Rock solid , nice pre's ( I bypass the pre's and use my GR's ) and built like a tank.
Pricey but high quality.

Lawrence
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Lots of decent boxes out there. Here's a relatively new USB box in your price range. This series comes with kernel level software FX for low latency use, nice control software and iPad control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyvxTfeRzJE&feature=related

$199 at Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBox22/

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm particularly drawn toward the Presonus and Focusrite. Lawrence - you had an earlier model Presonus awhile back that you were talking about, and seemed pretty pleased with. You were especially impressed (if memory serves) with the quality of the preamps, as they appeared to be a step up from the norm for that sort of unit. Also, I've noticed that the Presonus Audio Box for $149 has the same preamps as the newer model you just posted, but without the software whistles and bells - and it's about $50 less. If I do this I'll probably sell my FMR-RNP to cover the cost, plus an external HDD . . . or two. Hmmmm . . .

Kyle

rossh
09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I've already got a setup that works great for me but my sone is looking at getting a simple USB interface to get voice and guitar into his PC.

I showed him the stuff I knew about then happened to stumble across this small mixer from Allen & Heath (http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ZEDSeries&ProductId=ZED10). It's the ZED10. Lot's of great reviews, preamp quality is good, very well built.

Maybe worth a look.

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks mate - but I need something a bit smaller.

Kyle

Lawrence
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm particularly drawn toward the Presonus and Focusrite. Lawrence - you had an earlier model Presonus awhile back that you were talking about, and seemed pretty pleased with. You were especially impressed (if memory serves) with the quality of the preamps, as they appeared to be a step up from the norm for that sort of unit. Also, I've noticed that the Presonus Audio Box for $149 has the same preamps as the newer model you just posted, but without the software whistles and bells - and it's about $50 less. If I do this I'll probably sell my FMR-RNP to cover the cost, plus an external HDD . . . or two. Hmmmm . . .

Kyle

I have a Firestudio Mobile and for $300 It's a nice unit. But yes, if you don't see any value in the other features of the VSL model, the original Audiobox USB is a little cheaper. I'm not sure if the preamps are the same as the new unit (XMax or whatever they call them) but most mobile audio devices mic press these days are usable so it should be fine.

Like I said earlier though, a lot of decent boxes out there. Use Sweetwater's web site to filter by price and you'll see most of them in that price range, Here ya go... they have 39 devices listed between $100 and $200...

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/popular/params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiUHJpY2UgUmFuZ2UiOiI3In1 9

chrisharbin
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Did anyone mention this yet, or is the 200usd an absolute max?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompAudio6/

I don't really like the sound of my focusrite saffire 14 (I'm assuming it's similar preamps/etc??)

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey chris - yeah, I was just looking at the Komplete Audio 6 package. Pretty tempting. I might be willing to go that high considering the library that comes with it. But, I'd like to see more user reviews and see what folks think of the preamps. And thanks for the comment on the Focusrite. Noted.

Kyle

lxm
09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Did anyone mention this yet, or is the 200usd an absolute max?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompAudio6/

I don't really like the sound of my focusrite saffire 14 (I'm assuming it's similar preamps/etc??)

Cant say enough good things about that AC ^^^^^^^^^ Crazy good performance. Built like a tank.

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Sorry - AC?

Kyle

lxm
09-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Sorry - AC?

Kyle

audio card

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Ah - of course. :)

Do you own one of these?

Kyle

lxm
09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Ah - of course. :)

Do you own one of these?

Kyle

yesssir. using it as we speak. ask away.

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 10:42 PM
How is the unit build wise? Thoughts on the preamps? Sounds like the drivers are not a problem - Win7 x64? How's the Komplete Elements library - are the instruments scaled-down (lite) versions?
I have to hit the sack. But, I appreciate your thoughts and will check them out tomorrow. Thanks!

Kyle

plgrmsprgrs
09-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry again - it's late. You obviously already addressed the build as tank-like! Yawn.

Kyle

lxm
09-19-2011, 11:42 PM
yeah build is fantastic. quite heavy for its size.

pre-amps sounds good to my ears. just as good as my old fireface... thats for sure.

drivers on 64 are rock solid. have yet to crash once.

i own komplete 7 so i didnt even bother with the incl elements. i believe they are light vers.

by FAR and away the best performance(buffer/latency) i have ever got with a AC. absolutely blew my RME800 out of the water. i can max out the CPU without a hiccup.

problems:

headphone out could be louder. absolutely fine for any type of personal tracking but with live drummers i have to max it out. you can obviously make a headphone mix thats louder if that ever becomes an issue.

i did have some pops and clicks initially. KA6 unit can have an issue with USB something or other???? can sometimes create noise. solution(i got from the NI forums) was to put it on a powered USB hub. absolutely zero issues since then.

more I/O would be nice.

i have convinced two of my friends to buy one of these and ditch their old AC. i get thanked all the time by them! lol. i know whats it like to have a buggy interface... can create with BS happening. they both had older digidesign stuff.... couldn't believe the difference in buffer/latency performance. first AC that im truly happy with. if you do decide to grab it let me know how it works out for you.

ivansc
09-20-2011, 03:39 AM
focusrite saffire 6 could be the ideal thing. Oh and I only recently quit using an Emu 1212m under win7 pro and those drivers were totally stable for me.

A lot of people seem to get kick out of dissing anything Emu just because they are owned by Creative.

The 0202 an 0404 represent great value for money.

Lawrence
09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I haven't had any experience with them personally, but my understanding is that the Mackie Onyx pres are really good, clean, well defined... so this unit might be something else to consider at $150.

http://theaudiocave.com/pics/2011-09-20_1209.png

Now, the other stuff about driver stability and all that may not even be a concern. I mean, you'll only be recording 2 things at a time max so I'd be a little surprised if most audio drivers can't handle a couple of inputs at low latency, if you even record at very low latency... which you may or may not, dunno.

Anyway, here's a vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQWI4I01teE

chrisharbin
09-20-2011, 01:57 PM
edited: too snarky even for me LOL!

lxm
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
edited: too snarky even for me LOL!

wat....

clkonkol
09-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't own the unit, but have been seriously considering the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Was considering the Sapphire before that. My situation is pretty compact, but I own a Trinity and need MIDI in/out to use it as a controller, as it's not USB. I also don't use mics now, but might in the future, and the pre-amps on this are praised by quite a few people. The Scarlett may be the 'upgraded' Sapphire - don't know that for sure but you might give it look. Lowest price I've found is $209.

pbk
09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm sure they are nice,but I'm a one-man-band basically so I really only need 2 inputs at most at any one time. And, it's a bit more than I'm thinking of spending. Around $200 give or take is in the ballpark.

Kyle

There is a Komplete Audio 6 going out in eBay for $140:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Komplete-Audio-6-Native-Instruments-Audio-Interface-OpenBox-Never-Used-/260857386319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbc4fd54f

minerman
09-20-2011, 09:37 PM
I also use the NI Audio Komplete 6, & to me, it's a really good interface....Paid $300 for mine new about 5-6 weeks ago.....

plgrmsprgrs
09-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Still reading up on stuff here. But, this question came to me as I was considering the Presonus AudioBox VSL. Since Reaper already allows me to track with FX without printing, is the VSL feature that also allows this something that I should weigh into my decision? Is there really a benefit in this feature that I don't already have in Reaper? Or, is it just redundant?

Kyle

bluzkat
09-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I've had a bad case of gas over that NI K6 for awhile!! I've heard lots of good things about it. ymmv

:cool:

plgrmsprgrs
09-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Still reading up on stuff here. But, this question came to me as I was considering the Presonus AudioBox VSL. Since Reaper already allows me to track with FX without printing, is the VSL feature that also allows this something that I should weigh into my decision? Is there really a benefit in this feature that I don't already have in Reaper? Or, is it just redundant?

Kyle

Bumpity bump bump.

beingmf
09-23-2011, 07:35 AM
The new Steinberg USB interface(s)? If the preamps are the same or improved versions of the MR816 preamps, then one of these would be a no brainer...

plgrmsprgrs
09-23-2011, 08:59 AM
being - thanks. Wasn't aware of Steinberg interfaces. Will check them out.

Kyle

EDIT - still would like to hear thoughts on the Presonus issue above.

Lawrence
09-23-2011, 09:21 AM

Kyle

Well... it depends. Some devices have FX that run on hardware chips which (of course) means you don't need low latency to use them. These FX (as I understand it) are software based but they run at the OS kernel level at very low latency which may mean (I say "may" because it's not really clear to me) the same, that you can use them without running the driver at low latency.

I'm still a little cloudy on how all that works, do those effects run independently of the audio driver. Not sure but it wouldn't make much sense if you had to be at 64k buffers in the driver anyway... dunno.

With only 2 I/O it may not be all that much of a benefit though... I mean, it's not like you'll be pushing out 4 headphone mixes at low latency... so in this case, with a system that can run low latency anyway with 2 I/O... probably redundant.

Lawrence
09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
being - thanks. Wasn't aware of Steinberg interfaces. Will check them out.

Kyle

I can vouch for the MR series preamps. If their less expensive units have the same pres (dunno), that would be a win. The MR series pres and conversion were surprisingly good.

My main interest in it when I bought it was the integration with Cubase which, while unique and pretty good, wasn't all that great actually... so I swapped it out for an updated MOTU PCI card.

But the pres on that thing were great, and the hardware reverb on it was outstanding.

beingmf
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
The MR series pres and conversion were surprisingly good.

They're not "good", they're "stellar", to be correct!

plgrmsprgrs
09-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I can vouch for the MR series preamps. If their less expensive units have the same pres (dunno), that would be a win. The MR series pres and conversion were surprisingly good.

My main interest in it when I bought it was the integration with Cubase which, while unique and pretty good, wasn't all that great actually... so I swapped it out for an updated MOTU PCI card.

But the pres on that thing were great, and the hardware reverb on it was outstanding.

I've sent an email to Steinberg support inquiring about the preamps in the CI series. We'll see what they have to say. Aside from that, I'm kind of leaning right now toward the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Their literature states that they use the same pre's in all their units. Thanks again for the thoughts.

Kyle

plgrmsprgrs
10-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Looking at one of these now:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackC400.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackC600.html

Pretty neat design, and I can exchange my Samson C-Control (don't even look the first time) in for part of the price from Sweetwater. Any thoughts on MAudio pre's?

Kyle

JGrabowMST
10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I have the M-Audio C400, and I like the quality of it, the buttons are solid, but the whole plastic casing thing got to me. All my other M-Audio gear is metal, then this is plastic.

That aside, I haven't had a chance to test the mic pres, but I enjoy the sound of my FW Solo and PF2626, so I don't think I'll be disappointed by this.

I was using the C400 a lot a couple days ago, and I do like that it has input level controls for front/rear inputs, the layout of the back is convenient, and it really does look appealing, again, only the plastic gets me a little bit, it's not something I consider very durable compared to my PF2626 which has taken a beating and still serves me very well.

The new control panels are nice as well, but I've also only used it on Mac, I haven't had a chance to test it on Windows yet. From what I've seen though, it shouldn't have any problems. Since the drivers and the interface are new, there shouldn't be too many problems for anyone with this unit.

The C400 is strictly bus powered, the C600 is bus powered, but will only support 4 in on bus power. You can plug it in on the fly without resetting any gear or disconnecting, and it will automatically switch to use all 6 inputs. Depending on your needs, the C600 may prove to be more convenient, especially with the multi-function button on the unit. The C400 has 3 programmable presets, the C600 has 8 or 9 I believe.

I never really saw much in USB interfaces, but this is a pretty nice one, all things considered.

plgrmsprgrs
10-11-2011, 07:10 PM
JG - thanks for the review. Pretty sure though the C400 gives you 8 presets on the Multi button. In the manual, the example they give only uses 4 in a cycle. I really like the layout (convenient as you said) and that it handles multiple monitors. They say the pre's have been upgraded (along with converters) to what they use in their more expensive units. When you get a chance to try them, maybe you could post your thoughts?

Kyle