PDA

View Full Version : The mellowest song I ever wrote

Artbay
09-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Diane, Unlike the Rest (http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/10292632)

It was originally a piano composition for a college class. I recently re-created it using VST in Reaper. Hope you enjoy it :)

Artbay
01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
ego bump...

shemp
01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
very nice!

msore
01-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Hey. Why did it stop?

emanresu
01-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Sweet.. Immediately reminded this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIQa-QyIHcg
7:40.. and a few other spots in the cartoon.

Artbay
02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
thanks allHey. Why did it stop?:) leaving it "unresolved" on that 9th was deliberate.

first, i could claim some poetic value - like i was leaving the question of whether or not the potential for a romance with "diane" was ever fulfilled (a question i will not answer...).

but second, i also wanted to see how other people reacted to a somewhat-traditionally styled song that didn't resolve to the root chord as tradition would dictate. i see that it still bothers some people ;)

emanresu
02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
thanks all:) leaving it "unresolved" on that 9th was deliberate.

first, i could claim some poetic value - like i was leaving the question of whether or not the potential for a romance with "diane" was ever fulfilled (a question i will not answer...).

but second, i also wanted to see how other people reacted to a somewhat-traditionally styled song that didn't resolve to the root chord as tradition would dictate. i see that it still bothers some people ;)

Heh.. standard reaction. People listen it as it is.

StrangeSound
02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey, that's a very beautiful tune! What sound/instrument VSTs did you use?

Endless Blockades
02-16-2012, 06:40 PM
That is really nice! very much enjoyed that. I too would like to know what instruments are used.

Very enjoyable composition! (and I'm grouchy and hate everything!)

Artbay
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
thanks again.

it was all vst:

"left hand" D-A-E: two instances of pling2 (rurik leffanta)

flute: NI FM8 "classic flute" & Absynth 4 "digichoir"

e-piano: NI Elektrik Piano 1.5

strings: Cheeze Machine (Big Tick) & Absynth 4 "brahms"

most of them have classic flange-reverb-and/or-chorus (Kjaerhus Audio), and all of them are ReaEQd. the e-piano has Freeverb Too.

master has another subtle flange&reverb (Kjaerhus Audio), then 1973 Equalizer (Stillwell Audio) and master limiter (Kjaerhus Audio)

(obviously i didn't have all that back when i wrote it. the first performance was on a baby grand in our classroom.)

fearnot
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Lovely and very soothing. Almost put me to sleep before my bedtime. I do mean that in a good way. ;-) J