PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Stranger--Revisited

sammydix
01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
i posted this a few weeks back in a starker form and i started a remix, because of some suggestions, but never completed it.
so i stripped it and started over with a slightly altered setup from my norm to see if it's an improvement over my usual practices.

this version has quite a few additions besides a remixing of the original.

ME: everything except the pers.
Strings: Miroslav (used sparingly)

http://www.box.com/s/jx9yoav9idc9iq86rjai

comments appreciated

hamish
01-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Hi Sammy, this is the first piece of yours I've checked. I don't know what I'd call the style but it's pretty easy to listen to.

Sorry got not much in the way of criticism, I liked the relaxed feel.

Only negative may be the doubled vocals are too much, but not much in it.

Questions on technique: Guitars and basses in main hook, are they real played? synth played? synth programmed? samples? or mix of techniques?

Hamish.

sammydix
01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
there are no double vocals, just lead and harmonies. if you mean too many harmonies--you don't know me vewwy well...

bass and all guitars are real and me. those two instruments specifically i won't use samples for. kinda insulting to the instruments to me.

synths are me on Oxy8:
DSK Ethereal Pads (freeware)
Kontakt
eSline (freeware)
Strings are Miroslav via SampleTank
Percs are Kontakt stock percussions

kindafishy
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Loved the original version of this. As I am listening to this I thought I was imagining a part from your earlier version, but then I realized I really was hearing it, you just had it really low in the mix. Sneaky! The subtle elements that I only hear if I focus are great.

I like the vocal treatment on this version better. I did like the echo-y slapback of the earlier version, but your vocals are so good that the more unadorned they are, for me, the better.

There is so much to like here, but by far my favourite part and what keeps me coming back is the section that begins at 1:48. That is nothing short of brilliant.

Permanent place in my Sam Dixon folder. I'm gonna have to get me a new hard drive just dedicated to your tunes...

sammydix
01-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Loved the original version of this. As I am listening to this I thought I was imagining a part from your earlier version, but then I realized I really was hearing it, you just had it really low in the mix. Sneaky! The subtle elements that I only hear if I focus are great.

I like the vocal treatment on this version better. I did like the echo-y slapback of the earlier version, but your vocals are so good that the more unadorned they are, for me, the better.

There is so much to like here, but by far my favourite part and what keeps me coming back is the section that begins at 1:48. That is nothing short of brilliant.

Permanent place in my Sam Dixon folder. I'm gonna have to get me a new hard drive just dedicated to your tunes...

typical of me, i don't even remember what i did to get that original sound on my vocals. i set, forget, render, then delete when done. next....
thanks buddy.

shemp
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
well I missed the first version of this but I'll say now that I LOVE THIS SONG! Just awesome. I love all the odd sounds and how you mix them together. Some of the instrument harmonies remind be of early 90s King Crimson.

Nice job sammy.

sammydix
01-16-2012, 11:45 AM
luv that comparison!!! thanks much Shemp.

pattonfreak1
01-17-2012, 12:56 PM
So yummy and surprising.
I stand by my STP reference from the first time around.
But this is much better.

Excellent sammy.