PDA

View Full Version : MIDI instrument selection/change

Retarius
05-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi All,

First of all, I am a complete novice with both MIDI and digital recording - just so happens I am getting into both at the same time thru Reaper.

I have a digital piano with MIDI output and a Yamaha DD-55 drum pad setup also with MIDI output.

I have been able to record and play back the piano just fine through Reaper. The problem is with the Drum pads. For some reason, they sound like piano notes! Would be nice for them to sound like the drums I have selected in the DD-55 configuration.

I have looked through Reaper, and can't seem to find how to change back the MIDI instrument sound to the "drum sounds" sent by the DD-55. I didn't think it was with MIDI channels, but...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Retarius

LAzerous
05-27-2007, 10:31 AM
HI

Im new too. If you set your drum pads to midi chanel 10 and the midi out piut of your drum track to midid channel 10 then you might get some where.

Differentt midi instruments need to be on seprate channels ( most of the time)

LAz

Retarius
05-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Laz,

Did that and still sounds like a Piano. In Local mode (speakers in DD-55 on), I hear the proper drum sounds from each pad. Something in Reaper is changing them to a piano sound. I'll have to investigate more...

Retarius

Rann
05-31-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm just guessing since I don't own the DD-55, but I have done this with another instrument -

1. See if your midi device is showing up (& also enabled) in the midi preferences (Options>Preferences>Midi Devices)

2. Insert a new track and click on the I/O button and set the midi hardware sends to the DD-55.

I've set up an instrument (Linuxsampler) in OpenSuse using this method so I know it works.

rann