PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Mix

ctelkes
02-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey guys,

This is the first mix from an album I'm working on. I have been wrestling with it for a couple of days, and finally eased off a bit on the harshness of the drums and a few other instruments. Now I can hear everything much more clearly, but naturally it sounds less exciting to me because I'm used to the other mix. What do you guys think?

http://soundcloud.com/chris-telkes/scream-queen-phenomenon-rough/s-p5d9W

Jedi
02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
SERIOUSLY cool song.... I can't think of anything I'd change...
At least to my ears, it's spot on in the mix and I simply LOVE
the vocals (is that you?)....

Nice work!

Jedi

Lastrite
02-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Very, very nice. Cool song and, like Jedi said, great vocals. It's not what I normally listen to, but it instantly reminded me of a soundtrack cd I have from the movie 'Spawn', which contains all collabs between dance oriented and rock metal oriented artists. Mix is great as is, but here's some random thoughts anyway you may want to consider/play with...

* Maybe you could get the bass and kick to 'dance' a little more with some ducking. Might make it a bit more organic. You might even be able to get away with some more low end in the Kick and/or bass that way without it muddy-ing up. Then again: The current tightness may very well work better for the genre/song...
* The vocal sounds very good, but it's one sound in the center all throughout the song. Maybe you could try widening it at certain points to keep it fresh. Sounds like you have enough doubles to work with. Some words in the chorus could be thickened and widened (hip-hop-style) as well.

No critique at all, just suggestions, if you don't change anything, it will still sound great! Keep us informed, I'd love to know how the album comes along.

ps. Oh and you're in the wrong forum section, but I'll bet a moderator will move this soon-ish :)

lerian
02-26-2012, 06:23 AM
great song, i love the MarilynManson-esque vocals.

the mix sounds ok to my speakers, but i would work more on mastering: bringing up the highs, some boost on guitar's bass, widening a bit maybe..

Rachmaninoff
02-26-2012, 06:28 AM
I like the beat and the synth over the guitars on this song, and also the overall arrangement. Technically, I also liked the mixing, which seems to have been done carefully, and this is good.

Now... we post mixings here because we want sincere opinions, right? Here we go...

I deeply dislike these vocals. I think it's ruining the music. I don't like 'em at all, they sound artificial, like cold studio takes, and the voice timbre is also a bit annoying to my ears. If you can re-record the voice, do it.

simpic
02-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Really nice mix, not my cup of tea music wise but i thought the mix was spot on. I think the vocals sounded great, crisp and alot of clarity. I suppose reading the previous reply it may be a matter of personal taste and opinion as to what sounds nice but i think they suit the song perfectly.

Simon

spoon
02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I think this mix a great. Based strictly on mixing, I would not change a thing.

My only wonder...and a small one at that, is with the drums.
To me, imo, they are sounding like they want to be electronic and analogue at the same time. The "samples" you picked and the arrangement create a sort of middle ground identity crisis. Again, to me, they beg to either have the samples changed to something more clearly 808/909/electronic, or some organic real drum playing that breathes a bit.

A liberal crushing with PSP's Vintage Warmer, a FATSO Jr. or distressor could probably achieve a similar push to one side or the other.

BTW, if these were a specific aesthetic choice, then please disregard my comments as I would not dare presume to know what was in your head when you created that sequence (or whom ever's head). I would not be so bold as to change what the original artist intended, however, in my experience, sometimes drums often have "finishing touches" applied to them during mix down and that may have been how this kit was created. In which case, now, during mix down is when comments to the kit would be solicited.

Once again, great job and cheers!

David