PDA

View Full Version : I need explanations of MIDI I/O parameters

thewonders
03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm trying to sort out MIDI in Reaper - I've loaded Kontakt 4 with Abbey Road drums and made progress getting sounds, but there are setting I don't completely understand. The online docs seem quite out-of-date and I couldn't find the answers to my questions in the PDF manual (or searches here). Would someone please be kind enough explain these? :)

http://www.zerp.org/images/reaper.jpg

This is the I/O dialog for the first output channel from Kontakt.

1. - This one seems to be the output channels from the VSTi but I can't always get sound by changing the settings, so there may be more to it than that...??
2. - Does this mean "equal to or greater than"? What does this mean to the surrounding values? Or is it just a fancy arrow?
3. - This one really throws me - I haven't yet figured it out, but changing it seems to always disable sound from Kontakt. Any explanations?
4. - I don't appear to need to change these to hear audio and I haven't tested them but I assume that I could change to different MIDI output channels from the VSTi so I don't need to worry about them for audio - true?

EDIT: I didn't put this in the graphic but I'm not sure I understand the "Parent channels" setting.

Also - when I load a VSTi, Reaper adds a MIDI track for the instrument. Does that original track also act as one of the VSTi's audio outputs? It doesn't look like it should be but it acts like one of the outputs, and I ask because in other sequencers the track for the VSTi isn't used as one of the outputs.

Thanks. :)

DarkStar
03-19-2012, 02:27 AM
1 means "the audio on the sending track's channels 1 and 2",
2 means "is sent to", so it's a fancy arrow,
3 means "the receiving track's channels 1+2".

You can click the drop-down v-arrow to select different pairs of audio channels (if the track is multichannel) or change it to "none".

In the screenshot, the sending track is track 1and the receiving track is track 2. Looking at the track names, that is probably not what you want.

4 means "Receive the MIDI on MIDI channels 01-16 (that is, "all") from the sending track and receive it on the original MIDI channels.

You can click the drop-down v-arrows to select different individual MIDI channels or change it to "none".

------------------------------
"parent channels":
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=92387

For your third question - when you add a VSTi and get a single track, then, yes, the MIDI input is on that track and the audio output is also on that track. You would see the MIDI clips in the Arranger, see the MIDI velocity and the audio level in the track's meters . Then see the audio in the master track's meters and hear it.

-----------------------
The easiest way to get started with multi-channels is:
-- right-click in an empty space below any existing TCPs (Track Control Panels or track headers),
-- select "insert virtual instrument ..." and select Kontakt (I would pick the "8 out" edition for this to keep it simpler)
-- click [Yes] on the "Build routing confirmation" window - that will create output audio tracks for you
-- click the [FX] button on the Kontakt track, select [Options] >> "Build 16 channels of MIDI routing to this track", that will create 16 tracks for MIDI and route them to the Kontakt track

Take a moment to look at the I/O routing for the Kontakt track and you will see how the MIDI and audio has been routed

HTH

thewonders
03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
1 means "the audio on the sending track's channels 1 and 2",
2 means "is sent to", so it's a fancy arrow,
3 means "the receiving track's channels 1+2".

You can click the drop-down v-arrow to select different pairs of audio channels (if the track is multichannel) or change it to "none".

In the screenshot, the sending track is track 1and the receiving track is track 2. Looking at the track names, that is probably not what you want.

4 means "Receive the MIDI on MIDI channels 01-16 (that is, "all") from the sending track and receive it on the original MIDI channels.

You can click the drop-down v-arrows to select different individual MIDI channels or change it to "none".

"parent channels":
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=92387

For your third question - when you add a VSTi and get a single track, then, yes, the MIDI input is on that track and the audio output is also on that track. You would see the MIDI clips in the Arranger, see the MIDI velocity and the audio level in the track's meters . Then see the audio in the master track's meters and hear it.

-----------------------
The easiest way to get started with multi-channels is:
-- right-click in an empty space below any existing TCPs (Track Control Panels or track headers),
-- select "insert virtual instrument ..." and select Kontakt (I would pick the "8 out" edition for this to keep it simpler)
-- click [Yes] on the "Build routing confirmation" window - that will create output audio tracks for you
-- click the [FX] button on the Kontakt track, select [Options] >> "Build 16 channels of MIDI routing to this track", that will create 16 tracks for MIDI and route them to the Kontakt track

Take a moment to look at the I/O routing for the Kontakt track and you will see how the MIDI and audio has been routed

HTH

Yes, thanks, this helps make things a bit clearer. :)

Starting over with a new project, inserting Kontakt, letting Reaper create output tracks and build MIDI routing, then looking at the routing that's been created is a big help to see what Reaper does with its routing. Good advice! :)

I inserted Kontakt by starting a new project then going to "Insert > Virtual instrument on new track..." which I assume is that same as right-clicking below the tracks and "Insert virtual instrument on new track...".

I also have been searching through the PDF manual and finally found the section on routing - Chapter 2 section 22 "Reaper Routing Essentials".

Regarding the track that's created when a new multi-channel VSTi is inserted, is that track meant to be used as one of the outputs, or can it be removed from the mains, with all of the VSTi's outputs assigned to other tracks?

DarkStar
03-19-2012, 02:32 PM
^^^^
If I understand you correctly, that one has the VSTi on it, so you need to keep it.

If you are not going to use all 16 MIDI input tracks or all the output audio tracks you can delete them.

gofer
03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Regarding the track that's created when a new multi-channel VSTi is inserted, is that track meant to be used as one of the outputs, or can it be removed from the mains, with all of the VSTi's outputs assigned to other tracks?

If you mean the audio signal of the instrument track,
The direct path to the master must be cut, otherwise it gets there twice. Actually "Insert virtual instrument on new track..." already did that for you. The box at "Master/Parent send" in the I/O window of the track with the instrument gets unchecked, which means no signal will travel upward to the master. Signal will only leave this track through the sends towards the individual output tracks and from there to the master.

If you create the routing yourself you could also decide to just leave the instrument track's fader all the way down.

thewonders
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
If you mean the audio signal of the instrument track,
The direct path to the master must be cut, otherwise it gets there twice. Actually "Insert virtual instrument on new track..." already did that for you. The box at "Master/Parent send" in the I/O window of the track with the instrument gets unchecked, which means no signal will travel upward to the master. Signal will only leave this track through the sends towards the individual output tracks and from there to the master.

Yes, this is what I was trying to ask/communicate. Thanks.

If you create the routing yourself you could also decide to just leave the instrument track's fader all the way down.

DOH!! :facepalm: ;)
I should have tried this. I muted the VSTi track, but that kills all of sends. Turning the track down is what I was looking for. Duh! :)