Cockos Incorporated Forums

Cockos Incorporated Forums (https://forum.cockos.com/index.php)
-   REAPER OS X Forum (https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   REAPER on OSX Lion, 3.76 crash workaround and fix (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=83968)

schwa 07-21-2011 09:12 AM

REAPER on OSX Lion, 3.76 crash workaround and fix

OSX Lion 10.7 appears to come with an improper installation of Python 2.7. Because of this, REAPER will crash immediately when opening the Actions window. (Or if REAPER was saved with the Actions window open, it will crash immediately on startup.)

We will release REAPER version 3.77 soon that disallows Python 2.7 on OSX and falls back to 2.6 (which is also shipped with OSX Lion), and REAPER 4.0beta16 will have the fix as well. We will also add a user preference to prevent REAPER from even looking for Python/Perl.

In the meantime, the workaround is inconvenient but will prevent the crash.

1. Open the file /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/REAPER/reaper.ini. Clicking the file should open it in TextEdit.

Annoying note! OSX Lion makes it much harder to access <username>/Library. By default, that folder will not appear in the Finder. The "official" way is to open the Finder, open the Go menu, then hold down the Option key. Alternatively, open Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "chflags nohidden ~/Library". This Lion behavior will cause all sorts of inconvenience for advanced REAPER users who are familiar with the REAPER inifiles.

2. In the reaper.ini file, locate the line that contains just the word "[REAPER]". Immediately below that line, insert the line "pythonlib=libpython.2.6.dylib".

When you restart REAPER, it should not crash.

--------

Technical details:

As far as we can tell, the problem is simply a faulty installation of Python 2.7. The Python dylib loads fine and gives out function pointers, but on the very first call to Py_Initialize() it crashes within Python giving "IOError: invalid Python installation". Hopefully Apple will fix this in a future Lion update.

For expert users, if the Python 2.7 installation gives you other problems that are not related to REAPER, you can open a terminal and run "sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libpython.2.6.dylib /usr/lib/libpython.dylib" to make 2.6 the default Python install on your machine. But please don't do this unless you have a good understanding of what it means.

timlloyd 07-21-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwa (Post 778255)
Annoying note! OSX Lion makes it much harder to access <username>/Library. By default, that folder will not appear in the Finder.

Arg @ Apple. Thanks for the Terminal tip - will do that if/when I "upgrade".

airon 07-21-2011 09:17 AM

This is almost something to brag about.

I shall do my very best to refrain from gloating about Reaper working on Lion within days.

Ollie 07-21-2011 09:25 AM

I'm still using my release day avatar (sorry that's the only lion pic I had) :)

axel_ef 07-21-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwa (Post 778255)
In the reaper.ini file, locate the line that contains just the word "[REAPER]". Immediately below that line, insert the line "pythonlib=libpython.2.6.dylib".

Thank You, it works. Now I can open Action List without crash.

Tale 07-21-2011 10:53 AM

Lion, Python... seems like a regular zoo! :p

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I think I will wait at least a couple of weeks before upgrading, just to be safe.

Banned 07-22-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie (Post 778263)
I'm still using my release day avatar (sorry that's the only lion pic I had) :)

Lol... been using that one for lulz too:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/876736/OS%20...20Facepalm.png

Maybe it could do with a caption now: "That python did not taste very well." ;)

LMO 08-02-2011 03:26 PM

I haven't had any problems on Lion, I suspect because I have EDP Python 2.7.2 installed as the default. When I upgrade, will Reaper disallow 2.7.2 or does it check for the Apple version, which is 2.7.1?

It's not an issue for me at the moment in any case.

kumar 08-02-2012 02:46 AM

REAPER on OSX Lion, 3.76 crash workaround and fix

allow loading of OSX GRM plug-ins version 3.1.1 or higher

Regards,
Kumar
www.natarajmasala.com

touch33 08-31-2012 06:39 AM

Is Reaper working ok with 10.8.1?

joesacco 09-21-2012 05:47 AM

Reaper crashes for me when I click on New/Load ReaScript in Actions. Any ideas here?

EDIT: Found solution. Downloaded latest Mac version of Python.

KRUNKA 10-24-2012 02:55 PM

REAPER 4.261 runs in my MacBook Pro 2010 but ...

Hello.

My Reaper runs in my MBP (2010) where I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.2 but it runs well only with the Built-in audio interface.

Instead with my Tascam US-144 mkII (the driver is updated to ML !!!) I hear clicks and so on.

So what can I do ?

I am waiting for an update of Reaper cause I think this issue is because Reaper 4.261 is at 10.7 (Lion) !

Do You know when Reaper will be updated ?

Usually Reaper is always updated but not now. Why ???

octa 11-30-2012 11:14 AM

Apple has provided two simple ways to change the default python on OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
It's all detailed in the Apple man page for python(1):

#
# temporarily change version
#
$ export VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION=2.6
$ python -V
Python 2.6.6
$ unset VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION
$ python -V
Python 2.7.1
#
# persistently change version
#
$ defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Version 2.6
$ python -V
Python 2.6.6

mwelker 04-26-2014 12:23 PM

Python Fix for OSX 10.7.5 and Reaper v4.611

I found a fix that worked for me. I need Python 2.7.x for work, didn't want to deal with upgrading 2.7.1 to 2.7.latest or 3.x

Go to:

Preferences -> Plugins -> ReaScript

Enable ReaScript/Python [√]
Custom path to dll directory [/usr/lib/]
Force python to use dylib [libpython2.6.dylib]

Best-
mwelker