Cockos Incorporated Forums

Cockos Incorporated Forums (https://forum.cockos.com/index.php)
-   REAPER for macOS X (https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Help; OSX Dock, Reaper icon DISAPPEARS, Changes to ? placeholder, deepdjdanny (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187990)

deepdjdanny 02-15-2017 07:19 PM

Help; OSX Dock, Reaper icon DISAPPEARS, Changes to ? placeholder, deepdjdanny
 
Help; OSX Dock, the Reaper application icon DISAPPEARS, with the setting affirmatively to 'Keep in Dock'... sometime after exiting from Reaper, perhaps after a reboot, the Reaper Dock Icon has Changed to '?' icon as a placeholder, deepdjdanny

Does anyone have a fix so that the Reaper App Icon doesn't disappear and doesn't change to a '?' icon in the OSX Dock?
The 'Keep In Dock' doesn't Keep it maintained there in the dock.
I'm thinking that the Reaper application isn't convincing the OSX environment that Reaper is a OSX native application, or, OSX is ever changing it's definition for a native application...
:(

337is 02-20-2017 10:27 AM

I don't have a solution to this, but am chiming in to say I'm having the same issue. I've gone as far as clean reinstalling Sierra and installing Reaper first to see if there was something weird in my preferences. There's not. A fresh install suffers from the same issue you describe.

serr 02-20-2017 10:43 AM

You guys didn't accidentally drag it into the dock from the INSTALLER IMAGE WINDOW instead of your APPLICATIONS FOLDER (after installing it) did you?

Because that would do that.
Any running app appears in the dock while running even if it isn't pinned there.

Aside:
I'm not sure why I put Reaper in my dock because I always just double-click on the .rpp file I want to open. Someone still does this the long way?

deepdjdanny 02-24-2017 04:40 PM

To serr: Nah, I did not accidentally or deliberately for that matter :)

Its always most definitely from my sub-directory of OSX's applications folder.
Why do say 'Always'... because Umm... I got like over 20 or so Reaper64.app apps sitting in there for testing purposes... and just in case the latest version gets broken.

and this serr: 'Someone still does this the longway...'
I typically always work on the last project I was working on, and then when finished (coz I work to get the f**ker finished); then create another new project, or save out the last project (perhaps emptied of its recorded stuff or as just a basic template) as a Different Project filename and in a successive chronological directory...
I have set reaper preferences to load a last worked on project.
I have quadzillions projects... i only navigate finder-wise as a last resort, and only if i want to find and load an older project.
My method, for me, is much quicker... it isn't an 'older way', for me: it is the better way :)

...cause this sux: open finder, wait for finder to open, side bar, music directory, navigate, click, navigate, click, navigate click, navigate click, repeat, repeat, repeat, ... Ah-huh! there's that bastard project...
SO... Just click on the docked Reaper icon and it's done already: Tuh-DA!

I filename; chronologically (year.month.day,Time) as a prefix in the filename followed by the typical pertinent info...
eg. '2017.02.23,Friday,2pm,ReaperProject5.34,ThatCrapp yBeginnerTeenRockGuitaristWhoCan'tPlayOrSing,2017. 02.24,Saturday,MyRemuxxings,GuitarConvertedToLoops &VoxNowPerfectlyTuned,TropicallyHoused,1990'sVoxLo xSaxo.rpp'
I'm all-for any better way... old or new :D
Perhaps I'll start using the 'Projects List' as a tab in the Reaper's Dock Window...
I've Just Now Deleted all the Older than Reaper64 v5.34 apps instances.
blah blah blah... hope this helps.

grayter1 02-24-2017 05:04 PM

Also chiming in. I've had this behavior as well. I now have to keep the Reaper shortcut icon on my desktop, because it won't stay (or work) in the dock.

tg

EpicSounds 02-24-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serr (Post 1805145)

Aside:
I'm not sure why I put Reaper in my dock because I always just double-click on the .rpp file I want to open. Someone still does this the long way?

you never start a new project?

o_e 02-25-2017 02:22 AM

Just want to report that it works under OS X 10.9.5 aka 'Mavericks', latest stable Reaper..

serr 02-25-2017 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicSounds (Post 1807515)
you never start a new project?

I use templates to start new projects. I get impatient if I have to redo work or take extra steps.

serr 02-25-2017 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepdjdanny (Post 1807426)
To serr: Nah, I did not accidentally or deliberately for that matter :)

Its always most definitely from my sub-directory of OSX's applications folder.
Why do say 'Always'... because Umm... I got like over 20 or so Reaper64.app apps sitting in there for testing purposes... and just in case the latest version gets broken.

20 or so!?
Which one(s) have you pinned to the dock? Did you give them unique names? This wasn't a case of running a version other than the one of the ones you have pinned to the dock? Do you have all 20 in the dock?

It's got to be fallout from that.
I think you're just going to have to work a system like that manually if it's critical to your workflow. If it's critical to keep that many unique builds live, maybe it's time to look into writing an Applescript to manage that and give you back dock functionality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepdjdanny (Post 1807426)
...cause this sux: open finder, wait for finder to open,

Something's wrong. A Finder window opens instantly unless something is royally crashed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepdjdanny (Post 1807426)
side bar, music directory, navigate, click, navigate, click, navigate click, navigate click, repeat, repeat, repeat, ... Ah-huh! there's that bastard project...
SO... Just click on the docked Reaper icon and it's done already: Tuh-DA!

Well, get your sidebar shortcuts in order then man! :D

Hey, I really don't mean to give you a hard time! :)
Forgive me if it comes across that way but these are my genuine responses to that.

You're going to have to customize the OS a bit for your unique workflow.

The Finder window opening slowly raises an eyebrow! I'd investigate the system based on that.

dodobirds 04-16-2017 11:56 AM

Did anybody figure this out? I just set up a new computer with Sierra and this behavior is really freaking me out :D

serr 04-17-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodobirds (Post 1833046)
Did anybody figure this out? I just set up a new computer with Sierra and this behavior is really freaking me out :D

Which behavior?

Accidentally dragging Reaper from the disc image installer volume to the dock instead of from your Applications folder? (Operator error #1)

Or running 20 versions of Reaper all with the same name so that you can't associate documents created by them with them with the stock OS feature anymore? (Operator error #2)

dodobirds 04-17-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serr (Post 1833368)
Which behavior?

Accidentally dragging Reaper from the disc image installer volume to the dock instead of from your Applications folder? (Operator error #1)

Or running 20 versions of Reaper all with the same name so that you can't associate documents created by them with them with the stock OS feature anymore? (Operator error #2)

Ooopsss..apologies I forgot to specify.
I meant if anyone has been able to understand why the Reaper icon keeps turning into a question mark on the dock? I usually keep all the major apps I use in the dock for easy access but for some reason Reaper refuses to stay put :D

I've made sure to install it properly (by dragging to the apps folder) and I also only have one single instance of reaper installed.

Thanks!

EpicSounds 04-17-2017 01:54 PM

this is happening on my macbook too

Robert Randolph 04-17-2017 02:13 PM

Not happening here, and I have 7 Reaper portable installs on this system, with 3 in the dock.

serr 04-17-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodobirds (Post 1833457)
Ooopsss..apologies I forgot to specify.
I meant if anyone has been able to understand why the Reaper icon keeps turning into a question mark on the dock? I usually keep all the major apps I use in the dock for easy access but for some reason Reaper refuses to stay put :D

I've made sure to install it properly (by dragging to the apps folder) and I also only have one single instance of reaper installed.

Thanks!

Can you state unequivocally that you dragged the Reaper icon from your Applications folder to the dock after you installed it and not from the installer volume window?

dodobirds 04-18-2017 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serr (Post 1833551)
Can you state unequivocally that you dragged the Reaper icon from your Applications folder to the dock after you installed it and not from the installer volume window?

Yes, definitely! Actually, now that I think of it, first I dragged the icon from the installer window to the applications folder. Then as soon as I launched Reaper (by clicking on the icon in the applications folder) I right-clicked on the Reaper icon and selected "keep in dock".

oldbrownhat 04-20-2017 11:53 PM

Aha! It looks like I'm not the only person having this problem, then! I have to launch Reaper from the Applications folder, as "Keep in Dock" doesn't work- I just get the "?" place holder. Behaves normally on my iMac under El Capitan, but not my MacBook Air running Sierra.

Guess I can always put a shortut on the Desktop, but... why?

:)

cyrano 05-14-2017 02:05 PM

Have you tried dragging the REAPER icon from the applications folder into the dock instead of using "keep in dock"?

tusitala 07-02-2017 12:13 PM

Hi, same behaviour here...

If i drag from the applications folder to the dock, then if i click on reaper's icon to launch it, another reaper icon pops up and starts the program...weird!

if use "keep in dock" here's what happens:

...upon closing the program the Icon keeps showing up as a question mark...

https://i.imgur.com/X1DrocT.png


and i can't keep it there...because if i click on the question mark nothing happens...

does anyone knows why?

thanks!

serr 07-02-2017 12:18 PM

I just tried it on my install of 10.12 (Sierra). It just works. Stays in the dock after close that is.

Are you guys sure you aren't dragging the Reaper icon from the mounted disc image installer?

tusitala 07-02-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serr (Post 1861453)
I just tried it on my install of 10.12 (Sierra). It just works. Stays in the dock after close that is.

Are you guys sure you aren't dragging the Reaper icon from the mounted disc image installer?

of course...why would anyone drag the image from the installer???????

serr 07-02-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusitala (Post 1861459)
of course...why would anyone drag the image from the installer???????

Because some people don't even really understand 'file system 101' I suppose. The scenario has literally come up before and when pointed out the OP said "Yeah, I did that. D'oh!"

Sorry I don't have any other theories. But I can give you the data point of: It didn't happen here on a clean install of 10.12 running on my late 2008 Macbook Pro.

tusitala 07-02-2017 01:56 PM

thanks for your help anyway...

I didn't do a clean install of Sierra...i was on mavericks, then yosemite, then el cap, then sierra.

I'm trying to remember when this started, because i remember this wasn't the case some time ago...

PlanesTrainsAnd 07-09-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusitala (Post 1861447)
If i drag from the applications folder to the dock, then if i click on reaper's icon to launch it, another reaper icon pops up and starts the program...weird!

Happening here too.

cyrano 07-09-2017 05:17 PM

Try the following:

Remove question mark from Dock.

Run command in Terminal:

Code:

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Reaper.app
Drag the REAPER icon back into the Dock.

Restart your Mac.

tusitala 07-09-2017 07:02 PM

Thanks!
tried but no change at all unfortunately

cyrano 07-10-2017 01:32 AM

Mmmm...

It's a bug in one of the newer security thingies. Like path randomization.

In my experience, it goes away after a clean OSX install. I only see it with upgraded system installs.

You could still try to run EtreCheck and post it's listing here. Maybe something odd carried over from some systems ago.

PlanesTrainsAnd 07-10-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrano (Post 1863610)
Mmmm...
In my experience, it goes away after a clean OSX install. I only see it with upgraded system installs.

:( I never once did a clean install in 3 Macs (going back to 2003!)

serr 07-10-2017 11:33 AM

Two things have changed since then.
The installers make custom installs depending on the machine/hardware.
Apple doesn't seem to test compatibility with updating from old systems anymore.

The days of simply updating an OS install or cloning it from one machine to another willy-nilly are gone. And it's a shocking level of cheapness from the likes of Apple!

I believe this pattern started with 10.7.

tusitala 07-20-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrano (Post 1863610)
Mmmm...

It's a bug in one of the newer security thingies. Like path randomization.

In my experience, it goes away after a clean OSX install. I only see it with upgraded system installs.

You could still try to run EtreCheck and post it's listing here. Maybe something odd carried over from some systems ago.

Hi!
Since trying your suggestion, I noticed that when i turn on my computer i see the terminal app opening by itself...if i press the "up" arrow i see this message:

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Reaper.app


why? is there anything i should do?
thanks

cyrano 07-20-2017 05:43 PM

That's another known bug that has been around since Lion or so.

My Mac sometimes opens apps and windows too, even if the checkbox at shutdown isn't checked. But it only happens once in a blue moon, so I haven't had a look. And it's a complete mystery why some apps reopen and others never seem to have that problem.

That the command in Terminal comes back when you press the up arrow, is normal. It's your Bash history. A little help when you need repetitive commands and a memory aid when ypu get interrupted.

Satchboogiemonster 10-21-2017 01:14 AM

Has anyone found a cause or solution to this problem?

I have a MacbookPro (2011), I have never had the problem on it so far.

MacPro (The last big one with 12 cores and 64G RAM before the black cylinder), and I have the problem on that machine. Taking the leap to High Sierra, so maybe the problem changes.

Joe Miller 10-24-2017 05:19 PM

Try this. Grab the latest Reaper installer and double click the DMG. Drag the Reaper64.app across to your Applications folder, and without doing anything else on the Mac, open Reaper. Once it is open right click on the Reaper dock icon and say keep in dock. After Reaper is closed, it should remain in the dock without a question mark, even after reboot.

This problem of the question mark is caused by a security feature in MacOS called randomization, where it relocates the true location of executable apps in the Applications folder each time they are run, to protect against certain types of malware. The trouble is that it adds an application dragged from a DMG to MacOS database of apps to randomize only on the very first run right after you first dragged the app from the DMG. If you do anything else after that first drag, it forgets about Reaper and you end up with a question mark.

So in a nutshell, you have to mount Reaper's installer DMG, drag the app to Applications, and before running anything else, open the new Reaper app straight away, otherwise it will not pick up and remember Reaper for your dock icon.

tusitala 10-25-2017 03:59 AM

Hi, thanks for your suggestion but it doesn't work unfortunately.
Just checked as it was working yesterday, but today I'm getting the "?" over Reaper's icon...

thetaalpha970 02-21-2018 07:51 AM

Sorry to resurrect
 
This is happening to me as well. If anyone could point me to a working solution, I'm sure many here would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.