Cockos Incorporated Forums

Cockos Incorporated Forums (https://forum.cockos.com/index.php)
-   REAPER Feature Requests (https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   5.24v, Time Signature & BPM are Not Exported (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181260)

brkh 09-09-2016 10:33 AM

5.24v, Time Signature & BPM are Not Exported
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I am new to REAPER.

I downloaded the Reaper program (Evaluated version v5.24) for Mac and started using it for editing my style elements for my Korg Pa4X.
Everything works correctly and I could import my style element into REAPER and did some editing and then exported into Korg Pa4X and it plays fine.

The only problem I encountered is that the Time Signature change and BPM change are not exported from Reaper > File > Export project MIDI.
I spent a day to try different setting in Reaper (Consolidate MIDI setup, please see screen shot) and searching on the net without getting any solution.
PS: I use MIDI 0 File Format for exporting since this is the midi file format accepted by my Korg Pa4X.

So I was wondering if there is any bug or I am missing some thing.
Any help or info would be appreciated.

schwa 09-09-2016 10:47 AM

You have to enable "embed tempo map" in the MIDI export dialog.

brkh 09-09-2016 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi schwa,

Thanks for your fast reply.
I did your suggestion but unfortunately it did not work and it's worst because when importing the edited midi file into Korg Pa4X there is no data at all. There was at least data last time in my midi file without checking the "embed tempo map".
Please see the screen shot.

Thank you

schwa 09-09-2016 11:45 AM

Ah - REAPER exports tempo information only to type 1 MIDI files (which have a defined tempo track). As you say, your device can only import type 0 MIDI files.

I believe there are utilities out there to squash type 1 MIDI files into type 0 files.

brkh 09-09-2016 12:00 PM

How about the Time Signature? This is more important for me than BPM. Actually I am willing to purchase the REAPER if I can Export the Time Signature.
In worst cases scenario I can modify the BPM in my Korg Pa4X but cannot modify the Time Signature.

Quote:

I believe there are utilities out there to squash type 1 MIDI files into type 0 files.
Could you please elaborate more?

Thanks

schwa 09-09-2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brkh (Post 1728284)
How about the Time Signature? This is more important for me than BPM. Actually I am willing to purchase the REAPER if I can Export the Time Signature.
In worst cases scenario I can modify the BPM in my Korg Pa4X but cannot modify the Time Signature.

Could you please elaborate more?

Thanks

REAPER exports both tempo and time signature to type 1 MIDI files only.

If you have a single MIDI track to and enable tempo map export in the REAPER export settings, you will get a type 1 MIDI file with a tempo/timesig track followed by the MIDI music track. Utilities do exist to convert type 1 MIDI files into type 0 MIDI files, which will contain the same data but all squashed into a single track rather than with the tempo and music data in separate tracks. I can't recommend any particular utility though because I've never used any of them. It's a fairly specialized need I believe.

If you export from REAPER with tempo map embedded, and import into your device, do you get the tempo/timesig information but no music, or nothing at all? If you do get the tempo/timesig information, is there any way for you to do two separate types of import into your device, importing a type 1 file for the tempo/timesig info and then a type 0 file for the musical data? Just a thought.

brkh 09-09-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwa (Post 1728296)
REAPER exports both tempo and time signature to type 1 MIDI files only.

That's a shame that REAPER cannot do that in 2016.
I sent my midi file to a friend and he did editing and sent it back to me as 0 midi file format, BPM and Time Signature edited included, and it worked correctly in my Korg PA4X. He used the "pg music powertracks" that goes way back to the 1990's. I would buy it (new version) if they had a Mac version.

Quote:

If you export from REAPER with tempo map embedded, and import into your device, do you get the tempo/timesig information but no music, or nothing at all?
Nothing at all.

Quote:

If you do get the tempo/timesig information, is there any way for you to do two separate types of import into your device, importing a type 1 file for the tempo/timesig info and then a type 0 file for the musical data? Just a thought.
Unfortunatly my keyboard read only 0 file format.

schwa 09-09-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brkh (Post 1728307)
That's a shame that REAPER cannot do that in 2016.

To be fair, one could say that about the Korg...

I don't think this has come up as a request before. If there were a wider need for it, we could add the functionality.

brkh 09-09-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwa (Post 1728310)
To be fair, one could say that about the Korg...

I don't think this has come up as a request before. If there were a wider need for it, we could add the functionality.

You're maybe right but as a customer I am looking only for a solution to my problem, I am not blaming anybody, that's all.

Regards.

schwa 09-12-2016 02:29 PM

Moved some posts to a new thread in the prerelease forum:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181355.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.