Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

MIDI CC selection in the Piano Roll editor Issue Tools
issueid=124 06-17-2009 01:37 AM
-blšnk-
MIDI CC selection in the Piano Roll editor
The ability to select individual CCs in the MIDI editor's controller lanes. The goal is to edit a selected bunch, eg copy/paste or scale them.

Describes itself. What i propose is to make selection of the event bars in the MIDI editor's controller lanes possible.
By marquee would be ideal, some modifier + click would help as well.
If one or several event are selected, changes should only be affecting these selected events. This includes also shift-dragging a line over existing events.

A simple example for the usefulness is when a cc movement on a part of the item is nice and I want to copy it to another place of the item. Or decrease the value of the movement as a whole. The procedure would be to select them with the mouse and just do what you intend to do.

It's crucial when it comes to quantizing or humanizing your MIDI in any form. CC events (like modwheel or pitchbend movement you recorded with the performance) will not move with the notes that get shifted by the quantizing. So you have to shift groups of events of the controller performance by hand, so they sync with the notes. Normally this is done by selecting the group and shifting it in place.

I workaround in the event list (thanks for the filter :)), but what is missing is the visual feedback if I have the right bunch selected. It would be far more convenient to do this sort of things in the cc lanes themselves.

Discussion of this FR is please taking place in this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=25245.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.04
Closed Version 3.4
Yes votes 64
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags CC, CC lane, MIDI Editor, MIDI events, Selection

06-17-2009 09:41 AM
Human being with feelings

by marquee yes - also shift-click and control-click, please.
07-27-2009 03:30 AM

Yes.. I have been waiting/requesting for this to be possible since started using reaper. It would be great if I could do all my midi stuff with reaper alone.
07-27-2009 06:54 AM

i'm not so good in english
but i think the header should be MIDI CC Editing ?
not just selection.

any way i think the CC should look like notes,
(as that what they are actually)
so we can handle them easly.
07-27-2009 11:35 AM
-blšnk-

My main concern is indeed that I can't select.
Well, I sort of assume that once selected, I can actually do something with them ;).

If you look at CC's as analog to notes, each pitch would represent a CC number (CC1 modwheel would be the lowest note of the MIDI editor's piano). Note velocity would represent the value of the CC. CC events have no length, but are valid until the next CC is received.
So, your proposal would show a one liner piano editor window for each CC, notes played strictly legato. To edit CC you would change the notes velocity.
Now look at velocity lane and compare it to a CC lane. They look the same.

The point of all this: Actually CC are shown analog to notes right now. Just the redundant one liner legato note row is not shown, which is good.
07-27-2009 11:37 AM

I still don't like the behaviour of selected CCs/velocities - I can edit also the velocities/CCs that are NOT selected. That is not a nice behaviour.
07-28-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer
To edit CC you would change the notes velocity.
if you mean that it must be, that if i change cc it would change the velocity

i don't get the point , why

any way what i ment is to put a square or something above each of event so
you can select/move it up/down/left/right,
like you have the square in the bottom of each item when free location is on,
so you can resize it.
07-28-2009 01:16 AM
-blšnk-

I meant the analogy. The third byte of a CC event is it's value, the third byte of a note event is it's velocity. Thus in this analogy, CC value = Note velocity.

The point was that Reaper actually does show CC events analog to Note events right now, just without the redundant length part. Which is alright, as CC events don't have any adjustable length, so there is no handle needed for that.

I don't like the idea of having extra thingies on CC events. What should they be for. Events are all visible as discrete bars right now, all I want is to just select them. Why should there be extra gui thingies clogging the view to do that?
07-28-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer
Why should there be extra gui thingies clogging the view to do that?
it makes much more sense +user friendly to have something to click on,
and then move/select

than only have one bar and by different keys, to change/select it.
07-28-2009 01:36 AM
-blšnk-

I don't get that. Why would it make sense to have an extra handle to select things? There are visible discrete ojects on the screen. It's standard behaviour to just click on them or drag a marquee to select.

Even in Reaper, the CC lanes contradict mouse behaviour compared to any other part of the same application. Rightclick+drag = marquee. What could be more user friendly than to have this consistent also in CC lanes? (or to have it all customizable, of course.)

EDIT:
Further discussion of this FR is please taking place in this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=25245.
07-28-2009 02:37 AM

i try to explain my self,\.
if you left click on that single bar (cc)

you change it up / down

but useally single left click, uses to select or move, not to modify.

so my sugguest is to put a square on top of it,
so if you press the square you can move it up/down

but if you click on the bar but not on the square, you select it and
then can move it

the other option is to do it like this:
right click - modify,
ctrl+click - select.

but how do you move them ?

i same as you want to use only the default reaper behaviour.

EDIT: when i said Right i think i ment Left :)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue