Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Replacing all OS-based GUI elements with skinnable elements Issue Tools
issueid=3842 12-28-2011 09:19 AM
Human being with feelings
Replacing all OS-based GUI elements with skinnable elements
The final step in making Reaper looking less tacked on and more like a professional application.

This is the final step in making Reaper looking less tacked on and more like a professional application. Let's compare the current status with a quick mockup of how things could and should look, approximately.

This is now:

[IMG]http://img828.**************/img828/6044/regulard.th.png[/IMG]

This is how it could look, for example:

[IMG]http://img406.**************/img406/7356/editedz.th.png[/IMG]

Some of the needed things include:

* Replacing all OS-based scrollbars with skinnable ones. EVERYWHERE! Since skinnable scrollbars are already used on the main arrange, the mixer, the MIDI editor, and the FX window, I cannot see this as a very complicated change.

* Dropdown menus themeable colors. This would basically need two parts - the window part, and the button part. Perhaps as separate images?

* Checkboxes - these could use current theme colors that we're using to get rid of white backgrounds.

* Table header row - a new theme color needed.

* The "+" box in FX browser - should be a tiny PNG image with two states - "+" and "-".

* Regular OS buttons - new theme colors needed. Or even better, images for all possible states. This will enable the themer to make these buttons fit their theme.

There are probably some other places that need sprucing up, too.

VOTE: HERE!
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version 4.15
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 66
Users who would not use this feature 7
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-28-2011 10:27 AM

A huge thumbs up to this!
12-30-2011 11:59 AM

Nice - btw, what is that "now" theme?
12-30-2011 12:59 PM

RADO (before Nick Moritz updated it).
12-30-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
RADO (before Nick Moritz updated it).
that looks more monochromatic than the ones I can see in the stash... I like it a lot. Is there a link or ?? to it?
12-31-2011 03:12 PM

how would you account for different OS' treatment of the window function buttons (minimize, resize, exit)?

I think this is a great idea but might need more definition given to how it would work.

+1
12-31-2011 04:19 PM

Minimize, resize and exit buttons on the window header are OS functions which are not of importance here. What IS of the importance are OS elements that are being (ab)used throughout the GUI - the scrollbars, the buttons, the checkboxes, the lists.

I just wanna know who are the people that are downvoting this request which wouldn't get in anyone's way, in fact it would make that way better.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue