Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Rationalising Keyboard Shortcuts (revisited again) Issue Tools
issueid=891 08-08-2009 11:37 AM
Human being with feelings
Rationalising Keyboard Shortcuts (revisited again)

As described / discussed in Marah Mag's excellent FR:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32654

Implement multi-key keyboard shortcuts. For example: Splitting items

Instead of directly assigning the action 'Item: Split items(s) at play cursor' to Alt+Shift+S, you could assign it to Alt+S,P. Likewise,
'Item: Split at previous zero crossing could be Alt+S,Z.
'Item: Split item under mouse cursor' could be Alt+S,M.
'Item: Split items(s) at time selection' could be Alt+S,T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post
Arising from this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32351
Which in turn arose from this one: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32272

The problem of running out of keys and modifier combinations for actions is pretty real. That's a shame given how extensively Reaper provides access to its commands.

Microsoft Word's macro system provides a really good model for getting beyond the modifier+key system.

When assigning a key to a native command or to a custom macro, in addition to using any combination of the Ctrl+Alt+Shift modifiers with a regular key, you can assign a secondary key to actually invoke the command. In this way, the key assignments function like a virtual menu+submenu system, and let you create better mnemonics.

Here's an e.g. of how this would work with Reaper. This would all be optional of course.

There are more split options than there are available modifiers for the S key. Plus, Alt+S is (by default) assigned to toggling Snap.

Under a Word-like system, pressing Alt+S by itself would not do anything, and Reaper would wait for the secondary key (the wait period would time out after about 2 seconds; could be interrupted with escape; and would not respond at all if the secondary key is not assigned to anything.)

In this case, toggling Snap would be Alt+S,S -- mnemonically, the first 's' would mean 'snap' and so would the second one: Alt-snap-snap, and would require just a single extra key.

Splitting items would work the same way. Instead of directly assigning the action 'Item: Split items(s) at play cursor' to Alt+Shift+S, you could assign it to Alt+S,P. Likewise, 'Item: Split at previous zero crossing could be Alt+S,Z.

'Item: Split item under mouse cursor' could be Alt+S,M.
'Item: Split items(s) at time selection' could be Alt+S,T.

And so on. A virtual Split menu with submenus.

This allows a kind of double-mnemonic system. When splitting is the task, 'Alt+S' means 'split', and the secondary letter references the type of split.

Currently, Alt+Shift+S splits at play cursor, and Ctrl+Shit+S splits under the mouse. Those both work fine and are easy enough to do. But they're kind of randomly assigned and could be just the opposite.

The downside to this system is that commands would (if so assigned by the user) require a second key. The upside is that you can assign more commands and macros to keys, and do it mnemonically, without running out of modifier keys.

This approach works extremely well in Word, which has a phenomenal customization that seamlessly integrates menus and toolbars with native commands and macros. In my Word template, Alt+M,P brings up a dialog of available macros for playback, and Alt+M,R immediately drops me into macro record mode. My entire Word environment is similarly customized. I'd be lost without it.

Would love to see something like that in Reaper.

One valuable extension would be the Preference to pop-up the sub-menu (under the mouse cursor). So after I press Alt+S I could see the further shortcuts available: P, Z, M, T etc and their descriptions.

I could have the sub-menus turned on for a while until I remember the shortcuts then turn them off and use the shortcuts only.

Alt+Y, E, S !

Benefit
-- much more flexibility in defining shortcuts,
-- ability to assign logical and memorable shortcuts
-- ability to grouip shortcuts

Remember; Vote here, Discuss over there;
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32654
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested