Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

More Transparent Media Explorer Issue Tools
issueid=2295 04-08-2010 02:50 AM
Human being with feelings
More Transparent Media Explorer
To Be Able to Drag and Drop Between Explorer and Project More Efficiently

This request comprises several, hopefully in a fluid and consistent way. There are many ways to accomplish this functionality, so I will give my ideas.

Discussion Forum: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=55459

Goal:
To be able to drag and drop between the internal media explorer and a project with customizable file naming and/or folder organization. Clips will be easily recall-able based on the track they came from.

Problem:
Renaming is an extension feature. There is no way to internally organize or find saved clips/loops to drag back into the project. I've been having Reaper crash using these together. Can't seem to determine what exactly is crashing it but i think its when i try to rename a clip with a name that already exists.

Solutions:
Add non-name data through which we can filter our clips by track origin. This way we can use the same names for clips that belong to a song section regardless of them being on multiple tracks and the filter will only show clips for the active track. This could be a check-box in the explorer like: "auto-filter files based on current track."

An option to for ghosted clips to save in a folder named after origin track. Then we can look in the track folder for the clips we want.

A right click option to save ghost clip to a certain location, preferably based on track origin.

It would also be nice to have an assignable modifier for when we want to drag a clip into a folder in the explorer. Currently there doesnt seem to be a way to drag from the project into the explorer, making it impossible to organize clips based on track origin.

An action for returning to parent folder would be most beneficial for quick navigation in explorer. Currently we must click the ".." button to do this and its the only way.

I think the reason Reaper has been crashing on me is because I must glue a Midi clip in order to have snapping work. This creates a new file called ...glued. I dont like this so i rename it with the SWS extension. Then I want to ghost it so it is a global clip. Now I have multiple files based on the internal renaming and somewhere in there, something is fucking up. Its usually the rename clip and source function that crashes things. Not always so its hard to tell what exactly. These just need to be more consolidated. Renaming a ghosted clip should update other clips of the same unless ive converted it to an individual project event.

Ghosting is a great and necessary feature IMO, it just needs to work better with more transparency within the browser.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version 3.4
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 0
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)