Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Disabling the option to allow anticipative FX processing on tracks with open MIDI editor not working right Issue Tools
issueid=5475 01-10-2015 02:19 AM
Human being with feelings
Disabling the option to allow anticipative FX processing on tracks with open MIDI editor not working right
The option does nothing if MIDI being edited is in a track different from the track that has the instrument loaded

Example project:
https://stash.reaper.fm/22859/Anticip...processing.RPP

How to replicate (follow the steps exactly because sometimes switching items in MIDI editor results in a behavior where the option seems to work properly):
1. Open the supplied example project
2. Set Anticipative FX processing to some higher value (like 1000 ms) so you can hear the difference straight away.
3. Make sure Anticipative FX processing is turned on
4. Make sure Allow on tracks with open MIDI editors is turned off
5. In the example project, try to input notes to track MIDI track. You should notice the 1000 ms latency straight away.
6. Now try inputting notes to track "Instrument track" - everything will be alright - there should be no latency.

Now, if we record arm Midi track, all of a sudden the latency will go away since live input is not using anticipative FX processing.

This is indeed a problem when we want to separate MIDI tracks from Instruments tracks (this practice seems quite common when using a lot of MIDI instruments, especially with samplers that can output different sounds for different MIDI channels) and it makes MIDI composition quite cumbersome.

So my guess is - in case the said option is turned off, anticipative FX processing should be turned off not only for the track whose MIDI is being editing, but for all the tracks that receive MIDI from that same track.

Discussion thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=153315
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 4.76
Closed Version 5.0
Yes votes 9
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-05-2015 07:13 PM

Seems fixed in v5.0pre24 - April 12 2015...thank you very much!
05-09-2015 05:00 AM

Can we have it in 4.x too?
This petition for a change to Awaiting Feedback was rejected
08-17-2015 04:20 AM

Fixed in 5.0 but still somewhat buggy:

The first or two mouse clicks on the piano roll of the midi item (no matter which track) still give latency. After that it's working fine.
08-18-2015 07:47 PM
Administrator

The first click is what turns on the preview logic, which is what disables anticipative FX rendering, so after that first click it gets turned off. I hate to say live with it here, but firing up the note preview on every midi editor instantiation is something I'd like to avoid for now, so I'll say a soft "live with it", but leave the status as confirmed.
08-19-2015 03:34 AM

Ok.
08-19-2015 03:49 AM

Not really a nice "live with it" when previewing is quite important for people composing solely using piano roll (not me particularly, but I know Breeder is fairly annoyed with it)...
08-19-2015 05:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Not really a nice "live with it" when previewing is quite important for people composing solely using piano roll (not me particularly, but I know Breeder is fairly annoyed with it)...
It's only the first click (And subsequent antfx interval after) that have this, though.
08-19-2015 06:06 AM

Still, other DAWs don't force that one click on the user (and some of them do have their anticipative processing methods).
08-19-2015 06:10 AM

Yeah, why not turining on the logic when opening the midi window (as the option says)?
This petition for a change to Fixed was rejected
08-19-2015 10:03 AM

Looks like 5.01pre4 improves it (no click needed). I can live with that (and my low 50ms render-ahead size).

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue