Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Always recording while monitoring option Issue Tools
issueid=240 06-21-2009 03:19 PM
Human being with feelings
Always recording while monitoring option
Reaper should start recording as you hit play so you can extend the recorded item to the left if you need to.

I like doing manual overdubs (I mean, not automatically punching with time or selected items) but with Reaper I can't.

Sometimes when overdubbing between two different takes you need to extend the recorded item to the left to find the right spot to do the transition, or simply you failed and you hit the record button too late.

When you use time and item punching you can extend the items to the left, so Reaper is recording since you hit Play.
Why can't we have that in normal recording mode too?
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Duplicate
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.04
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 22
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-24-2009 04:08 AM

I was going to post a "+1" kind of massage, but in the middle of it, I realized that it was probably me that need to change my habits and start using time selection punching a bit more. That would also clean up the takes when they all start at exactly the same time. So, I'll wait a bit to join in... :o)
06-24-2009 02:55 PM

That's ok. I'm kind of "forced" to use those modes too, they are fine. But there is no reason for not recording everything even in normal mode too.
06-24-2009 03:21 PM

Large file sizes are a turn off.
06-24-2009 03:25 PM

Then just turn it off.

It should be optional of course :)
10-18-2009 10:36 PM

I have waited for this one since it was implemented to iRiver H120 Rockbox firmware. And that was quite a while back.

This would be a wonderful feature. A friend of mine uses pre-count metronome, and needless to say, 90% of the time the pre-record would've been a saver. And for live usage also, would've saved my ass a couple of times.
05-17-2010 06:05 PM

Replaced by more active duplicate request: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2497

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue