Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

reaper freeze/lockup with stuck output buffer. Issue Tools
issueid=382 06-29-2009 03:33 AM
Human being with feelings
reaper freeze/lockup with stuck output buffer.
reaper disappears, but doesn't crash. output audio gets stuck

(reconstructed this from posts in the bug forum):

reaper locks up, and the audio buffer repeats. reaper can't be terminated.

3.05pre2, also occurred in 3.04 and other users have reported what seems to be the same bug. it may have happened in earlier versions but it seems to be peculiar to v3.

this has happened in full sessions and also other possibly plugin-less sessions (it was as i was adding lots of media items).

core 2 duo, xp sp3, 2gb ram
two m-audio 66's wordclocked together

i used process explorer to capture what i could, but i got a lot of "stack inaccessible" type errors when i tried to dig deeper. sorry. i hope this helps though.

i've posted more info including attachments/debug crash info here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...64&postcount=3
note the high number of context switches in the 'createthread' thread

and from a 'healthy' session on the same machine here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...71&postcount=4
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Cannot Reproduce
Priority 2
Affected Version 3.04
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-29-2009 04:09 AM

attached data from other thread (might still be more info in those posts though)

this stuff was present in the crashed/locked reaper but not in the working reaper instance. note: might have been because of other stuff running at the same time but not sure what most of this stuff does, so i figure i'll post it all in case it's useful:

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\DBWinMutex
Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZoneAttributeCacheCounterMutex
Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZoneAttributeCacheCounterMutex
Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZonesCacheCounterMutex
Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZonesCounterMutex
Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZonesLockedCacheCounterMutex
Port \RPC Control\OLE2E78CDF8292140EC85A1ECB07330
Section \BaseNamedObjects\UrlZonesSM_Dan
Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.{A48F1A32-A340-11D1-BC6B-00A0C90312E1}
Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\_SHuassist.mtx
Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\!IETld!Mutex

Seems to be a bunch of IE related stuff as well, like:

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count
Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}\Count
Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME _PASSWORD_DISABLE
Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_ LOCKDOWN
06-29-2009 05:15 AM
Administrator

Thanks for all the detail. There's actually not much information about why Reaper might be hanging, though. One possibility is that another application (Internet Explorer?) is fighting Reaper for the audio driver -- if that is the case, it's not something Reaper can do anything about.

The key for the issue tracker is "reproducible." Somebody has to be able to reproduce this problem for us to positively identify that it is a Reaper bug, and fix it. If you get a project that can reliably reproduce the problem, please let us know.
06-29-2009 05:35 AM

yesterday, w/ 3.04, i added a bunch of wav files to an empty project, hit play, started putting tracks in folders while it was building the peak files, and it did the same thing. reboot, tried it again, worked fine. did the same thing again later that afternoon - same workflow, different files, and it did exactly the same thing. it's happened before but generally it's a bit more random than that.

i spent a good half an hour trying to reproduce it today before giving up, and that crash occurred about 30 seconds after opening another project. can't get it to happen again, either.

the same issue seems to have occurred for another user here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...29&postcount=7

do the two images - one showing the crashed thread list and one showing the working thread list - help at all? it looks like that 'createthread' thread is getting stuck in a loop waiting for a resource to free or something.

i have vs2008 on this machine, if it happens again i'll see if i can attach a debugger to it but it didn't let me do anything with process explorer. might try process monitor as well and see if it's hitting the registry or something. are there any other tools/methods i can use to bring up more info?
07-02-2009 02:59 AM

ok, it happened again. couldn't attach a debugger, it choked. process explorer doesn't show anything useful, have attached another image in case that's helpful.

seems to be project independent, and other people are reporting the same thing in the forums. it's pretty rare, though.

i am running a core 2 duo, xp sp3, two m-audio delta 66 cards wordclocked running driver 5.10.0.5069. reaper 3.05.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue