Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Elevated FR

Automation clips_step editing, increasing efficiency! get rid of milion clicks...(check it out, added video example) Issue Tools
issueid=546 07-13-2009 02:49 AM
Human being with feelings
Automation clips_step editing, increasing efficiency! get rid of milion clicks...(check it out, added video example)
Automation clips_step editing, increasing efficiency! get rid of milion clicks......

This is actually the first time I do such a video...but I think that it still show some great points very clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAUu0DE61jk

Right click on points to get a drop down menu for tension curves (much faster than reaper..)

Left click on a middle point and drag up/down to control the tension

Right click on middle point (between 2 points) to straighten the tension

2:35 step editing mode which could is really useful to draw freehand automation.

more details in the youtube video...

after you see the video, you may understand this picture: (If I'm missing something in reaper..., please let me know...)

btw- it is much more than 800% excessive clicks..

no hard feelings please, only good intentions.
wine for all :)
Issue Details
Issue Type Elevated FR
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Popular Request
Priority 2
Suggested Version 3.05
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 126
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-13-2009 03:35 AM

Yes, I agree that envelope editing should be more efficient, so I voted for your FR.

It would also be cool to edit CC lanes with envelopes instead of discrete rectangles :/
07-14-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree that envelope editing should be more efficient, so I voted for your FR.
:)
thanks for voting.

people @ flstudio like that video as well, it helps newbies to see the power of flstudio's.

Quote:
It would also be cool to edit CC lanes with envelopes instead of discrete rectangles :/
+1
07-14-2009 06:38 AM

Also, the thing I noticed with REAPER's automation: you have to be close to the envelope line to make a point. That doesn't make sense. I want the point to be created ANYWHERE I CLICK on the envelope, just like this FL video shows. Very intuitive and, for lack of better word, logical!
07-14-2009 12:11 PM

Nice video there. Plenty of excellent ideas to learn from.

Don't forget that selecting a bunch of envelope points could also be selected as pointed out in the Area Selection thread in the issue tracker.

EvilDragon, this is a request we've made once or twice actually. One of Reapers principal limitations is that you have to click in to the envelope lane/track to be able to do anything with it. Let's hope this changes in the future.
07-14-2009 01:14 PM

Nice video, but you forgot the min/max knobs. They're the best thing about fl's automation clips imo, along with the wave curve.

+1
07-14-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
EvilDragon, this is a request we've made once or twice actually. One of Reapers principal limitations is that you have to click in to the envelope lane/track to be able to do anything with it. Let's hope this changes in the future.
Cool, when that one comes up in FR tracker, I'll be sure to back it up :)
07-14-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gls
Nice video, but you forgot the min/max knobs. They're the best thing about fl's automation clips imo, along with the wave curve.

+1
You are right, however, I think that the Min/Max and the Time multiplier knobs should be on top of the automation clip itself (at least this is how it makes sense for reaper's workflow), they should be very small next to the label of the automation (on its bar).

Min - Sets the minimum value the Automation Clip return.
Max - Sets the maximum value the Automation Clip return.
Time - Controls the speed at which the Automation Clip plays back. The number window after the Time knob is a multiplier setting.
07-14-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected
You are right, however, I think that the Min/Max and the Time multiplier knobs should be on top of the automation clip itself (at least this is how it makes sense for reaper's workflow), they should be very small next to the label of the automation (on its bar).

Min - Sets the minimum value the Automation Clip return.
Max - Sets the maximum value the Automation Clip return.
Time - Controls the speed at which the Automation Clip plays back. The number window after the Time knob is a multiplier setting.
I don't mind where they go, anywhere will do me.:D

Although replacing that slider on the automation track with them wouldn't be a bad idea, it almost does the same thing but it's nowhere near as good.
07-14-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gls
Although replacing that slider on the automation track with them wouldn't be a bad idea, it almost does the same thing but it's nowhere near as good.
good idea.

here is a video made especialy for your request, just to make it more clearly for other people :)

Min/ max/ timemultiplier and Wave-Curve in the automation clip_presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z2kc9W0g94
07-15-2009 07:41 AM

since automation shows up as lanes, why not give those lanes controls just like audio tracks have theirs? i noticed that sometimes the automation doesnt reach where i need it to go. does reaper yet have min max settings?
07-15-2009 09:54 AM

Tension is what I constantly search for when in Bezier mode. How can you implement Bezier curves witout tension point?

There surely is a lot to learn from FL's approach - seems so easy to automate stuff, REAPER is not quite yet there...

...but let's keep nagging :D
07-16-2009 04:06 PM

The best thing about FLstudio, imo, is the automation. I abhore its stupid way of recording audio though. They should have just made simple audio-tracks instead of having to bother with arming the mixer and setting files etc...
07-16-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience
The best thing about FLstudio, imo, is the automation. I abhore its stupid way of recording audio though. They should have just made simple audio-tracks instead of having to bother with arming the mixer and setting files etc...
fl is the best in all things also in audio,

midi, automation,audio,generators,effects , audio data base (samples)

the big and only problem of fl is

it's a dead code,

that means, if you want to add or change
allready existin features, it's very hard/difficult.
you have to browse 10 years program code.

infact this problem exist in every program,
also in reaper, if we want to change, allready existing
things, it's very hard, to make the devs do that,

only new things.

but still in reaper the future looks brighter,
also becuase it's a young program with very hard working devs.

(soory for bad english)
07-17-2009 11:58 AM

No, Amberience is right. FL is good for everything except recording of audio. There are programs that do it better, and REAPER is one of them.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue